J.D. Salinger is dead. Watch

Christien
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...rss-topstories

Most of you know him as the author of The Catcher In The Rye. He was 91 years old, so he had a fairly good run. I can't help but feel immensely sad that the author of the book that changed my entire worldview has died, though
punkyrocker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ohhh, wow. The only book by him I ever read was his most famous, but I still really enjoyed that - he had a good run though, 91!
IWantSomeMushu
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Who? The only J.D. I know is Dr. John Dorian I'm afraid.
Christien
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by sandeep90)

He wrote The Catcher In The Rye. It's awesome, read it.
PJ991
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
One of those websites that predict people who'll die had him down for this year.

It's sad.
BunnyS:)
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I love love love all of his stuff, this is so sad ((((
He was so talented.
BUT at least he got to be nice and old.
pamelaa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sandeep90)
:eek:

He wrote Catcher in The Rye. A really good read actually... though I didn't know he was still alive.
bete noire
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Its funny, Patrick Swayze dies, Brittany Murphy dies, and the whole world takes a pause for a minute in mourning. A writer who defined a generation and whose work inspired countless people to become writers themselves dies and there's not much of a fanfare at all. What's even funnier is that this is probably exactly what he would have wanted, the guy really seemed to hate fame or being bothered.
Daisy247
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wow J.D Salinger is dead, I never heard till seen it on here.

Yeah he wrote Catcher in the Rye (the book Mark Chapman was reading while shooting John Lennon. Not at the same time obviously but he had it with him during said murder)

Raise high the roof beams carpenter & Franny and Zooey both exceptional books by the same man... enjoy
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Catcher was an amazing book. I actually looked at his Wikipedia article a couple of weeks back thinking "wow, he's still alive."

Requiescat in pace.
Arturo Bandini
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Cathcher in the Rye is probably the most overrated book of all time.
xXx_pUnK_pOp_pRiNcEsS_xXx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I didn't like raise high the roof beam or Franny and Zooey tbh. The catcher in the rye was great though.
Daisy247
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Arturo Bandini)
The Cathcher in the Rye is probably the most overrated book of all time.
Have you read it?
T kay
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Such a shame, he lived to a good age though.

I've only read The Catcher in the Rye and it's one of my favourite books, it's been criticised quite a bit on this forum which I don't understand. I think people don't entirely comprehend what's really going on and just see a moody and annoying teenager, it's so much more than that. I will read some of his other stuff one day, apparently his short stories are really good.

I wonder if he'll be mentioned in the news later. Maybe on the review show which is coming on tonight.
Arturo Bandini
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Daisy247)
Have you read it?
I wouldn't be very well placed to say it's overrated if I hadn't read it, would I?
xXx_pUnK_pOp_pRiNcEsS_xXx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bete noire)
Its funny, Patrick Swayze dies, Brittany Murphy dies, and the whole world takes a pause for a minute in mourning. A writer who defined a generation and whose work inspired countless people to become writers themselves dies and there's not much of a fanfare at all. What's even funnier is that this is probably exactly what he would have wanted, the guy really seemed to hate fame or being bothered.
He did write just one book which became popular, and he never did interviews or anything or let anyone turn it into a film, so unless you knew the book you wouldn't know anything about him... he wasn't really famous so of course there isn't going to be a fanfare.
Kater Murr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hmm, sad, but... it's not like DFW or Vonnegut dying, because he probably wasn't ever going to write, or, at least, publish anything again anyway. Which is a selfish way to react to someone's death, but... there it is.
Lust of a Gardener
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well, it was bound to happen sometime soon.

He had a good life.
bete noire
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Over rated, yes, still a ******* awesome book, by anyone's standards.
bete noire
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by xXx_pUnK_pOp_pRiNcEsS_xXx)
He did write just one book which became popular, and he never did interviews or anything or let anyone turn it into a film, so unless you knew the book you wouldn't know anything about him... he wasn't really famous so of course there isn't going to be a fanfare.
Yeah...I know all this, I'm just saying its funny and that its probably exactly what he wanted.

ps, get a less bent username dude.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (154)
27.55%
No (405)
72.45%

Watched Threads