The Student Room Group

What do you learn in Driving Lessons after you get the basics sorted?

Just had my second driving lesson (Well, not 'just' but you know what I mean :tongue:)

Anyway I can now feed the steering wheel, use all the controls and change gears. Also left and right turns including T-junctions. A bit S shaped driving at the minute but it is improving.

What can I expect to learn in the next few lessons? Also should I be studying theory yet, and when should I attempt the theory test?
Book your theory test soon and get it over with ASAP.

You can expect to start doing roundabouts, one way systems, dual carriageways etc, and you'll start doing manoeuvres, eg reversing round a corner, three point turns, parallel parking and emergency stops. You'll also learn a bit about car maintenance.
Reply 2
susiemakemeblue
Book your theory test soon and get it over with ASAP.

You can expect to start doing roundabouts, one way systems, dual carriageways etc, and you'll start doing manoeuvres, eg reversing round a corner, three point turns, parallel parking and emergency stops. You'll also learn a bit about car maintenance.

Three point turns? Sure I did that today, what does it involve?
Turning round in the middle of a road. You have to go forwards and round a bit, backwards and round a bit, then forwards and round a bit so that you're facing the other way.
Reply 4
most of ur lessons will just be getting used to the controls and improving your driving, i.e. you won't be braking as harshly anymore, less stalling, more control, won't be afraid to press the gas etc etc
It's all about getting more experience.
Had me first lesson today and I hate it, I jus really don't like driving! ='(
i hate driving too...i always get so pent up, i used to cry after every drive i did, now i just feel very angry (not good :s-smilie:)
Reply 8
HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE DRIVING!?

its like the best thing ever!
Reply 9
Ooh have you done reverse parallel parking yet? :eek: That is so hard :frown: My friend reckons it's not as difficult as everyone makes out, but she's lying! :biggrin: She's gotta be :rolleyes: I always stuff up :redface: I'm getting the hang of it tho! :smile:
Reply 10
Johnt
Three point turns? Sure I did that today, what does it involve?

Not sure I want someone learning to drive who doesn't even know what a 3-point turn is... :eek:
Reply 11
strictly speaking a 3 point turn is actually called turn in the road- you can take as many turns as you want to do it.

are you onto major roads yet and doing 30mph? stuff like traffic lights etc will also be covered soon.

Book the theory test now- www.dsa.gov.uk its about £20 and not hard.
Reply 12
you still have to do reversing around corners...bay parking...parallel parking...emergency stops...learning proper use of mirrors...etc etc

and then theres just racking up the hours actually putting those skills into practice so you have as much experience as possible
Reply 13
My mum has asked if I want to do two driving lessons per week - so that the 10 lessons she has booked can be pretty much taken during the holidays rather than during College next year.

Opinions?
Go for it, if YOU want to. I'm having two 2 hour lessons per week this summer. Had my second one today in fact, and loving it. :biggrin:
Reply 15
I loved driving up till the point where I failed my test, then failed the second test due to just 1 error in both cases. Then after that driving just made me angry as I felt I could do it fine but was just throwing money at my (rather annoying) instructor.

But now I like driving again. Its much more relaxing when you know you're not trying to learn anything, just doing it.
I have just got my first five lessons booked. 2 hours each. got them all within nine days. looking forward to it. start of becoming truely independent.

Latest

Trending

Trending