Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    GS & JPM Technology Divisions have offered me positions and I'm lost with which one to choose.On one hand I've visited 120-133 Fleet Street (GS offices) about 7 times in the last 12 months and feel comfortable with the fabled "GS consensus-driven culture"; their technologist really made feel at home BUT I'm equally worried by its conversion rate. On the other hand,I don't really know much about JPM culture except that the manager who hired me met me during a British Computer Society networking session and advised me to apply with JPM immediately;furthermore JPM's conversion rate to their graduate scheme is more favourable.

Their reputation,nature of job & career prospect are similar/identical;I want to find out about "culture differences", "real" hours instead of the contracted hours....

Your help,ideas & opinions will be highly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Just wrote on a different thread...

My friends in technology at JPM leave around 6.00-6.30pm. They really do have a good work/life balance. Obviously if you go into development you will need to compromise on that at times.

The ones who work at GS work similary to those at CS technology. A friend of mine did an internship there and was working 8am until past 10pm and he never got offered the job. Another friend did an internship (normal hours) and also didn't get offered the job but she's now working at JPM and she loves it there in comparison to GS. They both said GS are pretty ruthless (the first one liked that sort of environment though) but they came up with some real crap reasons as to why they don't offer jobs. I personally don't know anyone who hasn't had their JPM intern position turned into a full time perm. position.

I think you'd like it more at JPM than GS but that's my personal opinion. I'm sure if you went JPM 7 times too, you'd feel more comfortable then. Why not try seeing if you can visit JPM at anymore upcoming events to get a feel of who you'd be working with. What position will you be doing in either bank? Do you know yet?

ReputationRep:
    Yummy-baby (like the name!);thanks for your opinion & facts!You somehow confirmed what I already thought!GS's prestige is equal to its ruthlessness while JPM seems to be "friendly";better work/life balance and conversion rate! Having said that,GS has really been pro-active with me:invited me to all its events,put me in direct contact with their VPs...

My role will be Application Developer for both banks;at JPM I was interviewed by Equities Tech VP while at GS it was Asset Management.The line of business I shall follow is yet to be confirmed but the nature of the job is similar:Java,SQL...programming.

I'm really lost,I feel "emotionally attached" to GS but I'm aware of its ruthlessness!JPM looks like an ideal place but once there I would constantly be thinking of GS!! I'm at a cross-road!!

Thanks for your help though!

ReputationRep:
    Jayed I felt like that with CS. Remember the people who interviewed you, worked with you through HR are supposed to be nice and friendly. They are supposed to attract you in. Doesn't necessarily mean the rest of your colleagues will be like that.

GS does have a lot of prestige but JPM is a bigger business with more mobility. I have a feeling if you go GS, a few months down the line you'd wish you went JPM.

If its an intern, you could go GS and do it there and just hope real hard that they offer you the position and apply to JPM in Sept although I would advise to do it hte other way around. Go to JPM, most likely they will give you the job but if you hate your intern experience there apply to GS full time.

What would be worse is if you did your internship at GS and weren't offered a job. Just to let you know, this summer they had 54 interns. Of that 54, only 7 were recruited for full time positions because they couldn't offer the others any positions. (My friend from JPM told me this hence she had to reapply.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayed)
    GS & JPM Technology Divisions have offered me positions and I'm lost with which one to choose.On one hand I've visited 120-133 Fleet Street (GS offices) about 7 times in the last 12 months and feel comfortable with the fabled "GS consensus-driven culture"; their technologist really made feel at home BUT I'm equally worried by its conversion rate.
    Even within a bank it can vary a lot. As a general rule of thumb GS do value "face time" more highly, but you might get a team at JP that do ridiculous hours and a team at GS that do short hours. There are many factors at play from the location (FO/MO/BO) to the personality of the team management.

You shouldn't rely on conversion rate to drive your decision, the primary reason banks hire interns is to do extended interviews for grad roles. In normal circumstances if they don't hire someone, it normally means they're not good enough.

No-one's good enough to tell the good candidates from the bad candidates at interview 100% of the time. If a bank is hiring all of it's interns, that means it's hiring it's crap interns as well as it's good interns. And those crap interns are going to be your future colleagues.

I wouldn't worry about post-graduation offers though, if you're a competent developer and you have a good internship you shouldn't have a problem getting a job offer from any bank of your choice.

Find out the line of business though and the nature of the work you'll be doing, that could have a major impact.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.