Turn on thread page Beta

University: It's like being on the dole but your parents are proud of you. watch

• View Poll Results: Is University like being on jobseekers allowance with addition of parental pride?
    Agree
    39.58%
    Disagree
    60.42%

ReputationRep:
    Agree or disagree?

I was going to make this thread but forgot. Pink Lemonade's thread about comical University things reminded me it needed to be posted.

I don't want to sound picky or snide here (even though I am) but please can you only vote on the poll if you are at University or have been to University.

Though otherwise feel free to shout I'm sure everyone knows what the typical University experience is like. Or know what they're in for by applying to UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    lol it's kind of true

ReputationRep:
    Well I have a job as well. So do most of my friends.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite the same but I lolled anyway

ReputationRep:
    Its hilarious, and I joined th fb group, but uni is stupidly expensive, you pay all of it back and you are preparing yourself to contribute to society, unless of course you are taking pancake studies or something equally useless, in which case you are still paying a lot of money for it anyway so why not.

ReputationRep:
    Someone has been on facebook...

Anyway in many cases this could be true but then in many cases university students work hard for their degrees.

ReputationRep:
    I actually do quite a lot of work at uni. And yes I get money for it - but as a loan. So I have to pay the money back. If you're on the dole, the money you get is yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvilSheep)
    I actually do quite a lot of work at uni. And yes I get money for it - but as a loan. So I have to pay the money back. If you're on the dole, the money you get is yours.
    You don't have to pay it back.

The system is reverse insurance, you pay if you get value from the degree.

ReputationRep:
    No, and anybody who thinks and acts like this is a waster and a moron.

University is a place of higher education, and if you're not there trying to the best of your ability to get a first class degree in a reputable subject at a reputable university, then you deserve to be removed from the university and given a job as a labourer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You don't have to pay it back.

The system is reverse insurance, you pay if you get value from the degree.
    Which is exactly why the government shouldn't give loans and funding to students who study courses that can be preemptively judged as being valueless, or who study at universities from which a degree can be similarly judged.

If you want to do Media Studies at Glasgow Caledonian University, you can pay for it yourself, as far as I'm concerned.

ReputationRep:
    I personally spend more hours working for university than most people spend in their full time jobs. Granted, I start when I want (and I never want to start at 9am), but when I do start I work harder and longer than your average person with a full time job.

And not only that, but I get paid a tiny, tiny percentage to do it, and most of that payment is to be returned to the treasury when I graduate and start working.

So no, university is nothing like being on the dole, but being an acceptable member of society. University is more like being worked to the bone by your own self-willing, and getting only slight monetary reward in return.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    Which is exactly why the government shouldn't give loans and funding to students who study courses that can be preemptively judged as being valueless, or who study at universities from which a degree can be similarly judged.

If you want to do Media Studies at Glasgow Caledonian University, you can pay for it yourself, as far as I'm concerned.
    Where/how do you draw the line...?

ReputationRep:

surly its a good investment from the goverment on top of the the money they get back from loans by people going to uni and majority get goobe 3d jobs by getting good jobs they will earn good pay by earning good pay they will have to have to pay more tax

ok maybe some will not get a goood job and pay a higher level of tax but its a small risk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Where/how do you draw the line...?
    Draw the line where the statistics tell you to draw the line.

ReputationRep:
    I saw this on Facebook. I usually giggle at things like this but having been on the dole it's an insult as to how 'easy' that remark presumes it to be - I know it's intended to be the other way around - that student living is as easy as being on the dole, but being on the dole isn't a walk in the park!
    It actually really pisses me off tbh. Most of the people who join the group are 18/19/20 year old who have never experienced life on the dole!

Hmm, rant over...

oh, edit: so yeah I disagree lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yup just like being on the dole. I get up when I want to cause I don't really have much going on all day. Or not!

Echoing an above poster I would argue I have to work harder than many in FT work if I'm to suceed on my course.

To think there's a Facebook group for people who identify with this WOW they're not even ashamed to admit it! The thing is there are too many utterly crap degrees out there and the calibre of some students is pitiful, they wouldn't last a week on my course lol, but the best employers know this and focus their efforts on a select few unis only so it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    I personally spend more hours working for university than most people spend in their full time jobs. Granted, I start when I want (and I never want to start at 9am), but when I do start I work harder and longer than your average person with a full time job.

And not only that, but I get paid a tiny, tiny percentage to do it, and most of that payment is to be returned to the treasury when I graduate and start working.

So no, university is nothing like being on the dole, but being an acceptable member of society. University is more like being worked to the bone by your own self-willing, and getting only slight monetary reward in return.
    What do you base the first paragraph on?

TSR is too funny.

Its full of know-it-all smartasses with no sense of reality.

I know plenty of people who haven't got a degree/did crap at a good uni/went to a uni of less prestige - yet contribute more to the economy than a lot of the people i know who have been to very respectable unis and have good degrees. Simply because they are hard workers, have a brain and know how to operate in the real world.

The rest of the claptrap you've posted in this thread proves my point about you having no sense of reality. 'Draw the line where the statistics tell you to' :rofl:

Also, even if you haven't got a degree in the end, chances are you are going to be paying back the loan. Most half decent, full time jobs will get you over £15k pa. So no, there is no 'reverse insurance', you pay either way.

If there was real weight to the view that you only pay if you value from your degree, there would be a **** load more people going to university for the **** of it..

ReputationRep:
    My parents were still proud of me when I was on the dole.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Nope, sorry. University is quite hard work, sometimes.

EDIT: So's being on the dole. But in a different way. So the statement's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I don't get €100 a week at uni.
    And I don't get to sit and do **** all, all day :P

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.