2010 Race - Bahrain's New Layout! Watch

JZX26
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Seems like this is another stupid change. Barcelona now has the last chicane, the Hockenheim circuit has suddenly vanished, Fuji is now a joke and now we have this. Bahrain are now changing their track for the 2010 season, and it doesn't look that impressive as I don't think it will help the overtaking either.

For the first race of 2010, we see Bahrain Looking like this:

Before it looked like this:

Article from official site:
NEW CHALLENGES FOR 2010 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX
The 2010 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix will be kicking off the 60th anniversary season of the FIA Formula One World Championship with a brand new track layout as it extends its existing 5.412km circuit to a thrilling 6.299km. After six years as host to the biggest sporting, business and social event in the Middle East, the Bahrain International Circuit’s new track extension now offers a challenging loop of corners and height changes reaching out into the Sakhir desert to bring fresh challenges and exciting overtaking opportunities in readiness for the 2010 event.
While the iconic desert circuit will retain its unique character, the new loop will sweep left as the cars accelerate out of the existing Turn 4 and take them into a fast flowing right-hander before a complex sequence of five bends brings them back towards the original circuit. From here they will accelerate through a left-right kink before a tight and challenging hairpin brings them back on to the existing circuit, adding eight new corners to what is already one of the drivers’ favourite venues.
“The loop was completed in 2006 as part of the built-in evolution of the venue for competitors and fans,” said Zayed R. Alzayani, Chairman of the Bahrain International Circuit. “We gave it its debut with the inaugural 24 Hour Race of Bahrain that same year where it proved extremely successful, and with the changes to the regulations, the teams and the driver line-ups in Formula One this year it is the perfect time to evolve the circuit with this new challenge and new overtaking opportunities.”

With the grid size increasing thanks to the arrival of the all-new Campos Meta 1, Virgin F1, US F1, Lotus F1 and Sauber teams, this new extension at BIC will offer more circuit space and more dramatic action for the fans at the trackside and a TV audience measured in hundreds of millions when it hosts the opening round of the Formula One season for the first time since 2006. New regulations ban mid-race refuelling and increase the importance of cars passing on the track rather than through pit strategy, which has been another key factor behind the revision.
“The BIC was built to set new standards for international motor sport and Formula One is the pinnacle,” said Shaikh Salman bin Isa Al Khalifa, Acting CEO of the Bahrain International Circuit. “As the sport evolves and grows it is entirely fitting that we use our unique geography and circuit design to grow with it and deliver the best racing and entertainment that we can.”
Already the 2010 Formula One season is the most anticipated in recent memory, headlined by the return of Mercedes-Benz as a Formula One constructor for the first time in 55 years led by seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher. The 2010 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix marks the first race in Formula One’s 60th season and will see Schumacher and Mercedes confront an all-star line-up including the British McLaren ‘superteam’ of reigning World Champion Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton and Ferrari’s new partnership of double world champion Fernando Alonso with two-time Bahrain Grand Prix winner Felipe Massa.
More information on all Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix ticket prices is available on Bahrain International Circuit’s official website, www.bahraingp.com. Tickets can also be purchased online, through the circuit hotline on +973-17-450000, via the Welcome Center at Bahrain International Circuit and at the BIC ticket stands at Seef Mall and Bahrain City Center
Well guys, what do you think?
DoktaUH
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Unlike your examples it hasn't been slowed down, or completely changed. I can easily see a drag race between turns 5 and 7 also possibly a bit of late braking into 14. I'd say its a change for the better, but its still not on a par as a Melbourne opener
JZX26
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Both of the areas you suggested are not good overtaking spots IMO. Of course there will be a bit of competitiveness at 5-7 but going into 7/8/9 the driver needs to stick it out on the outside into 7 for entry into 8 and 9. It could be a daring move and I can see Schumi and Hamilton as likely racers to try overtaking around there.

As for 14, it's a very fairly long corner compared to some other ones (although not as long as Estoril or Parabolica). It could be yet again, but I still see the sharp turn at 14 and 1-2 and 4 being the major overtaking places due to the necessity for heavy braking.
DoktaUH
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hct1802)
Both of the areas you suggested are not good overtaking spots IMO. Of course there will be a bit of competitiveness at 5-7 but going into 7/8/9 the driver needs to stick it out on the outside into 7 for entry into 8 and 9. It could be a daring move and I can see Schumi and Hamilton as likely racers to try overtaking around there.
Turn 7 is as tight as Turn 4, and outbreaking would leave you too slow through 8 and you'd be retaken before 9. If i were racing, the inside line at 7 would be my choice.
PoisonDonna
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No matter what they do, it's always going to be > than Melbourne. It's just Bernie punishing Aus for not giving him a flipping night race :mad:

Bahrain isn't sold out either.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I for one support this new squiggly bit. :yep:

Should make car setup a lot more interesting. That middle sector looks like a high down force area. Beats just having a race based on who can have the least drag.
Untitled258
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PoisonDonna)
No matter what they do, it's always going to be > than Melbourne. It's just Bernie punishing Aus for not giving him a flipping night race :mad:

Bahrain isn't sold out either.
Aus is best for the first season, it forces you to wake up and make special arrangements to watch the race, adds to the excitement.
PoisonDonna
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Untitled258)
Aus is best for the first season, it forces you to wake up and make special arrangements to watch the race, adds to the excitement.
Exactly!! This is the reason why I wasn't really excited for start of season. I am now though!
Playboy King
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The layout is a bit better, but the race itself is generally quite boring. It's in the middle of an isolated desert, there's not much of an atmosphere and hasn't really produced any mind blowing racing moments. I don't get what's with the middle east organizers, they seem to love these basic boring straights and easy breaking zones.

Why can't they look at Spa or Silverstone and even Monaco and use the features that make tracks so great e.g. the elevation of Eau rouge, or the flowing corners in Becketts complex.

Nowadays it seems to be about the hotels and skyscrapers built alongside the track and not the track itself. Anybody know what kind of racing this year's S.Korea track will produce?
Minardi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The racing wasn't so awful there before. I'm unconvinced this will help, it is just another Tilkedrome after all.
PoisonDonna
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The only bit that makes Bahrain exciting is the "anticipation" of sand blowing onto the track and naffing up the braking...
Minardi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think of the new Circuits, its not too bad. Its certainly far better than Valencia.
jwn09
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Really hoping they use the outer circuit next year.
Mayba5
Report 8 years ago
The Arabs have no interest in F1 whatsoever, I dont know why Bahrain bothers with it, at least in Abu Dhabi there are many western foreigners living there, so it does sell out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (39)
27.66%
No - I got the required grades (84)
59.57%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (18)
12.77%

Watched Threads