Wsfsb Or Ss Watch

mrluvaluva
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
which one is best for someone who is a relatively inexperienced lifter?
partoftheweekend
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Id say SS, really helps you get the big lifts down without distractions.
mrluvaluva
Rep:
?
(Original post by partoftheweekend)
Id say SS, really helps you get the big lifts down without distractions.
ok cheers. does anyone have personal experience from doing both of them?
partoftheweekend
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah ive done them both. Started with SS and did WSFSB more recently. One big difference for me was due to other training that I do. I found SS VERY hard to do with a cardio programme because your legs are getting beasted so often. WSFSB was relatively easier for using mid-season as it were, whereas Id consider SS to be more off season.
mrluvaluva
Rep:
?
(Original post by partoftheweekend)
Yeah ive done them both. Started with SS and did WSFSB more recently. One big difference for me was due to other training that I do. I found SS VERY hard to do with a cardio programme because your legs are getting beasted so often. WSFSB was relatively easier for using mid-season as it were, whereas Id consider SS to be more off season.
yeah, it says do squats 3 times a week. i was thinking wouldnt that lead to overtraining a bit? 2 days isnt really enough for legs to recover from doing a few sets of heavy squats not for me anyway.
cowsforsale
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you'll recover providing you eat and get enough sleep.

I don't like wsfsb, too much choice for a beginner and a lot of it seems pretty complex too. And not many gyms have the stuff needed for what they recommend.
SMed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mrluvaluva)
yeah, it says do squats 3 times a week. i was thinking wouldnt that lead to overtraining a bit? 2 days isnt really enough for legs to recover from doing a few sets of heavy squats not for me anyway.
It doesn't. Thousands upon thousands of guys use SS for several months. Even already strong ones. There are some (very gifted) 450lb squatters still on SS.
mrluvaluva
Rep:
?
(Original post by SMed)
It doesn't. Thousands upon thousands of guys use SS for several months. Even already strong ones. There are some (very gifted) 450lb squatters still on SS.
is it worth ordering the SS book? or is there enough info on the website?
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Both are great programs. I'd go as far as saying any of Rippetoe's books are worth ordering except Mean Old Mr. Gravity which I haven't read and as I understand it all the content is online anyway.
SMed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd get the books.
cowsforsale
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SMed)
I'd get the books.
Are you on SS or have you moved onto texas?
mrluvaluva
Rep:
?
is SS still good for someone who is primarily interested in aesthetics and not just strength?
cowsforsale
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mrluvaluva)
is SS still good for someone who is primarily interested in aesthetics and not just strength?
yup milk it till you can't progress then jump on to a body building split.

might as well lay down the foundations
jrdavid
Report 8 years ago
wtf are these acronyms?
mrluvaluva
Rep:
?
(Original post by jrdavid)
wtf are these acronyms?
lol its a secret code
SMed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by cowsforsale)
Are you on SS or have you moved onto texas?
Still SS. I've had more than 2 resets but they're not due to stalling. I'm milking the SS-train.
Arturo Bandini
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You say you're relatively inexperienced but then you're worried about over training the squat. How much do you squat?

If you really are inexperienced, then you should easily be able to cope with three times a week for now.

I agree that SS is best for beginners, even if you want to move onto a more complex program eventually, you need to lay the foundations of basic core strength and SS is the best for that Even if you only do it for six months, as long as you eat well you'll see good gains and be able to push on from there.
Fifthteen
Report 8 years ago
Wow, very useful tips. If SS is good for beginners then what's the benefits of WSFSB?

There haven't been much about it?

I've been meaning to start the SS to try and bulk up.
cowsforsale
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Fifthteen)
Wow, very useful tips. If SS is good for beginners then what's the benefits of WSFSB?

There haven't been much about it?

I've been meaning to start the SS to try and bulk up.
Something different, some people get bored of doing the same **** week in week out.

Wsfsb also has some hypertrophy bits as well as strength bits.

some days it incorporate plyometrics etc..so is pretty good for general conditioning.

good routine if you are playing a sport on the side week in week out.
Khanage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jrdavid)
wtf are these acronyms?
SS = Starting Strength, a beginners weightlifting programme by Mark Rippetoe, look here: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

WS4SB = Westside for Skinny *******s, a beginner/intermediate weightlifting programme for athletes by Joe DeFranco, look here: http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part3.html

X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.6%
No (440)
60.61%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.8%

Watched Threads