Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Easy and cheap and i guarantee you will be making it loads.

What you need
    6 on the bone chicken thighs or legs (skin taken off) Asda £1.50
    1 1/2 teaspoons of Cumin seed (not ground) Asian shop or supermarket
    2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
    4 tablespoons of paprika (get the bag ones from an Asian store if poss, cheaper)
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 fresh green chilli *(see note on heat)
    1 Large Spanish onion
    1 bunch coriander

1 wok or similar with a lid
    2 x wooden spoons or similar
    Sharp knife and chopping board
    1 x cold beer (optional but recommended)

Heat the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the wok or similar.
    When the oil is hot put in the 1 1/2 teaspoons of cumin seeds into your pot (they will start to sizzle)
    Immediately put your (skinned but still on the bone) chicken into the cumin ladened oil and cook for 1 minute and then turn over. (this coats the chicken with the seeds)

Add 4 tablespoons of paprika coating both sides using the wooden spoons. ( this may seem a lot but essential)
    add 1 teaspoon of salt

*Chilli - If you like it hot chop them into strips and keep the seeds in. If you like it warm then just put one cut down the side of the chili and throw them in whole. If you are a wimp leave them out.

Turn the chicken again (that should now be nice and red) and turn the heat down to low.
    Place the lid on the wok or similar and let it cook for another 20 mins, turning occasionally.

open your beer or similar and reflect on how ace you are, for getting this far.

Before you drink to much you now need to slice the onion. Cut the onion in half and place the flat side on your chopping board and try to cut the slices thin.

After 20 minutes the chicken will look reddish brown, it is now time to add the raw onion.
    With you spoons move the chicken around the onions and the liquid will coat the onions until they are covered in the juices.

Put the lid back on and let it cook for 5 more minutes.

Chop up your coriander and add it to the chicken again stir and the turn off the heat replace the lid and leave it for 10 minutes.

I have served it with salad to my mates with a mint sauce i make (if anyone bothers to make it i will list that as well)

Its really good cold the next day as well.

I know most of you will have to buy the spices but once you have them you can do loads.

Give it a go, trust me its the nads.

I am studying to be a chef believe it or not.

I am not Jamie Oliver (yet) so if i have left and vital information out please ask.

ReputationRep:
    Bhai saab, you correct terminology...

* Jeera

* Udrukh

* Piaz

* Tehl

* Namak

* Dhunya

* Lal mirch (and lal duppateh wali :love:)

* Garam masala

* Aloo deh parateh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

* Jeera

* Udrukh

* Piaz

* Tehl

* Namak

* Dhunya

* Garam masala

* Aloo deh parateh

i seriously lol'd :p:

ReputationRep:
    This is fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

* Jeera

* Udrukh

* Piaz

* Tehl

* Namak

* Dhunya

* Garam masala

* Aloo deh parateh

dodgy translation, like a true indian! haha (you added your own ingredients 'udrukh, garam masala and the ALOO KE PARATEH!')

ReputationRep:
    You don't put any liquid in there? Just fry the chicken off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zneetznadderzneet)
    dodgy translation, like a true indian! haha (you added your own ingredients 'udrukh, garam masala and the ALOO KE PARATEH!')
    No meal, is a fantastic meal, unless it is served with aloo deh parateh. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

* Jeera

* Udrukh

* Piaz

* Tehl

* Namak

* Dhunya

* Garam masala

* Aloo deh parateh

Baqwas bund karo, ye ungrezi website heh.:yep:

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beerbaron)
    Easy and cheap and i guarantee you will be making it loads.

What you need
    6 on the bone chicken thighs or legs (skin taken off) Asda £1.50
    1 1/2 teaspoons of Cumin seed (not ground) Asian shop or supermarket
    2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
    4 tablespoons of paprika (get the bag ones from an Asian store if poss, cheaper)
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 fresh green chilli *(see note on heat)
    1 Large Spanish onion
    1 bunch coriander

1 wok or similar with a lid
    2 x wooden spoons or similar
    Sharp knife and chopping board
    1 x cold beer (optional but recommended)

Heat the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the wok or similar.
    When the oil is hot put in the 1 1/2 teaspoons of cumin seeds into your pot (they will start to sizzle)
    Immediately put your (skinned but still on the bone) chicken into the cumin ladened oil and cook for 1 minute and then turn over. (this coats the chicken with the seeds)

Add 4 tablespoons of paprika coating both sides using the wooden spoons. ( this may seem a lot but essential)
    add 1 teaspoon of salt

*Chilli - If you like it hot chop them into strips and keep the seeds in. If you like it warm then just put one cut down the side of the chili and throw them in whole. If you are a wimp leave them out.

Turn the chicken again (that should now be nice and red) and turn the heat down to low.
    Place the lid on the wok or similar and let it cook for another 20 mins, turning occasionally.

open your beer or similar and reflect on how ace you are, for getting this far.

Before you drink to much you now need to slice the onion. Cut the onion in half and place the flat side on your chopping board and try to cut the slices thin.

After 20 minutes the chicken will look reddish brown, it is now time to add the raw onion.
    With you spoons move the chicken around the onions and the liquid will coat the onions until they are covered in the juices.

Put the lid back on and let it cook for 5 more minutes.

Chop up your coriander and add it to the chicken again stir and the turn off the heat replace the lid and leave it for 10 minutes.

I have served it with salad to my mates with a mint sauce i make (if anyone bothers to make it i will list that as well)

Its really good cold the next day as well.

I know most of you will have to buy the spices but once you have them you can do loads.

Give it a go, trust me its the nads.

I am studying to be a chef believe it or not.

I am not Jamie Oliver (yet) so if i have left and vital information out please ask.

I would also recommend adding bell peppers when you add the onion to give it a bit of a jalfrezi touch.. also would taste much better if you leave paprika at two spoons and add two spoons of 'tandoori masala' - comes in the packet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

:rofl:

You make me laugh MJ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellingham)
    You don't put any liquid in there? Just fry the chicken off?
    the steam created from the closed pot will provide moisture as well as water that may have remained in the chicken after washing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

aloo deh parateh - real <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

I want some. I miss home food

ReputationRep:
    Is this seriously Indian? I did this sometimes; never that I was eating Indian :lol:

ReputationRep:
    An Asian lady showed me this recipe and others a while ago, it really is good eating.

Thanks for all the comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zneetznadderzneet)
    I would also recommend adding bell peppers when you add the onion to give it a bit of a jalfrezi touch.. also would taste much better if you leave paprika at two spoons and add two spoons of 'tandoori masala' - comes in the packet
    great minds think alike, this was EXACTLY what I was going to post!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.