Turn on thread page Beta

Is it normal to think you look ugly in nearly every photo? watch

Announcements

When I see pictures of me tagged on Facebook, club websites, and so on, I always cringe and think how hideous I look. Even in pictures when I haven't been drinking I think this.

I wouldn't say I am ugly, probably just average, but I think I look ugly in photos I see.

Is this a normal, lack of self-esteem thing to think all of your pictures are ugly?

ReputationRep:
    You're probably just not photogenic ?

ReputationRep:
    If you're ugly then,,,, yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostArtOfMurder)
    You're probably just not photogenic ?
    Isn't that just a nicer way of saying that someone is ugly, though?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, i always think i look worse in photos than what i do in real life. I always blame it on the angles, or the flash of the camera though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cap'n)
    Not really. Some people just don't photo well but look ok in real life, in other cases some people who aren't as attractive in real life photo well.

ReputationRep:
    I do this

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone thinks like this.:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is.

ReputationRep:
    I mean NO offense when I say this, but you probably are one of those people who doesn't make an effort with their appearance. I've noticed a trend along these lines, especially with men.

Obviously, 'bad' angles do exist (I've had some terrible photos taken...), but generally, if you look good and groom yourself well, you will look good in photos. Furthermore, some people are more photogenic than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cap'n)
    Noooo, I've worked with some distinctly average looking models who just know how to hold themselves in front of the camera, and some very pretty girls who just lock up and you have to work VERY hard to get a good photo out of. :yep:

There are so many variables such as focal length, angle, distortion, flattening of perspective, lighting ratios and angles, colours and microcontrast. You can shoot in such a way as to be very flattering or make someone look horrible - thing is, most people don't know the tricks so end up with several rancid looking photos of themselves...
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Some people aren't good at having their photo taken and a lot of people aren't good at taking photos in the first place (seriously, rule of thirds. Look it up). Practice in the mirror. Look the camera in the lens and try not to overdo it. And if all else fails, de-tag. Sure it's cheating, but life is like that sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woolcott)
    Noooo, I've worked with some distinctly average looking models who just know how to hold themselves in front of the camera, and some very pretty girls who just lock up and you have to work VERY hard to get a good photo out of. :yep:

There are so many variables such as focal length, angle, distortion, flattening of perspective, lighting ratios and angles, colours and microcontrast. You can shoot in such a way as to be very flattering or make someone look horrible - thing is, most people don't know the tricks so end up with several rancid looking photos of themselves...
    Your post is very informative, but that bit in bold made me laugh lol

ReputationRep:
    It is according to my life so far. But then, I'm not nice looking anyway. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's normal to be critical. In photos especially, there's so much that can go wrong. Bad lighting, funny angle, caught at the wrong moment, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    Your post is very informative, but that bit in bold made me laugh lol
    Just calling it how I see it

My mates and I got sick of ****** photos, so I persuaded myself to learn how to actually use a camera :p: This has the added bonus of me not having to put up with said rancid pictures, because I'm always behind the camera :borat:

(Original post by iamkund)
    I mean NO offense when I say this, but you probably are one of those people who doesn't make an effort with their appearance. I've noticed a trend along these lines, especially with men.

Obviously, 'bad' angles do exist (I've had some terrible photos taken...), but generally, if you look good and groom yourself well, you will look good in photos. Furthermore, some people are more photogenic than others.
    I do make an effort with appereance - wear nice brands, shave, use hair product, etc.

I'm mainly referring to the face, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i hate having pictures taken or being on video,

ReputationRep:
    I do the same, but I suppose you are your own worst critic? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I hate almost every photo of me ever taken, though in real life I think I can look pretty good. Maybe there are secrets to being photogenic we just haven't mastered?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.