Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it normal to think you look ugly in nearly every photo? watch

ReputationRep:
    I look bad in photos and in real life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    It is according to my life so far. But then, I'm not nice looking anyway. :yy:
    Well you do look like a dog in your profile pic.

Ho, ho. I am so witty...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Trooooolllll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    When I see pictures of me tagged on Facebook, club websites, and so on, I always cringe and think how hideous I look. Even in pictures when I haven't been drinking I think this.

I wouldn't say I am ugly, probably just average, but I think I look ugly in photos I see.

Is this a normal, lack of self-esteem thing to think all of your pictures are ugly?
    Facebook photos are taken with cheap camaras by people who don't know how to take them so they can make you look much worse than you really do.

ReputationRep:
    When I see pictures of me tagged on Facebook, club websites, and so on, I always cringe and think how hideous I look. Even in pictures when I haven't been drinking I think this.

I wouldn't say I am ugly, probably just average, but I think I look ugly in photos I see.Is this a normal, lack of self-esteem thing to think all of your pictures are ugly?
    I could have written the bit in bold myself. I am simply not photogenic, some of us never will be. Just remember that photos are not always an accurate representation of real life, and try not to let it get you down.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, I do it too.

This might have been said but I vaguely remember reading about some studies ages ago, where participants and their friends were shown photos of the participant looking in a mirror, and in a sociable photo with the friends. The friends always preferred the sociable photo and the participant always preferred the mirror photo, because that's how they're used to seeing themselves, and ditto why the friends preferred the social photo (the ones that you dislike I'm guessing). So if this doesn't sound too daft, maybe it's because you're not used to seeing yourself like that, from somebody else's perspective almost.

ReputationRep:
    make the photo as a mirror image. It should look more like you see yourself in a mirror, and less cringeworthy.

ReputationRep:
    In my world, yes. Although I tend to look ok in black and white photos.

ReputationRep:
    no its not normal, i love seeing tagged photos. On the plus side nobody looks at photos that arent of themselves, everyone looks at the ones of themselves and skips the rest.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if there's such thing as photo dysmorphia!
    Occasionally I decide 'oh I hate my nose (or whatever other feature)' then my nose (or whatever) is the first thing I look for on photos and when I see it immediately decide whether it looks bad, usually decide yes it does look bad and maybe think it ruins the photo. Then later on when I'm not bothered about that particular feature I might actually like the photo. But at the time even if people tell me I look nice on them I don't believe them.
    I've decided it's best to look at photos as if you're looking at a picture of a friend, you'd never go 'ugh ugly' you pick out the nicest features and go aw that's nice and ignore the bad ones.

I usually think my face looks fat and big in the photo, which is what I consider the main problem, apart from bad features. In the mirror, however, I don't feel this so much.

I'm not overweight, btw.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by I'm_No_Supergirl)
    I was wondering if there's such thing as photo dysmorphia!
    Occasionally I decide 'oh I hate my nose (or whatever other feature)' then my nose (or whatever) is the first thing I look for on photos and when I see it immediately decide whether it looks bad, usually decide yes it does look bad and maybe think it ruins the photo. Then later on when I'm not bothered about that particular feature I might actually like the photo. But at the time even if people tell me I look nice on them I don't believe them.
    I've decided it's best to look at photos as if you're looking at a picture of a friend, you'd never go 'ugh ugly' you pick out the nicest features and go aw that's nice and ignore the bad ones.
    You hear a word on the radio in the morning and it follows you all day. Same psychology, pay it no mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_No_Supergirl)
    This is so true, because it's a picture of yourself your very judgmental.
    I hate 95% of pictures taken of me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm pretty much the same. It's annoying though, like 1/10 photos are look really pretty 4/10 I look horrible and 5/10 I just look OK, not good but not too bad. I need to remember to always do my eyebrows, because I've seen them disappear in photos, lol. I guess just learn how to take photos properly, I'm sure you can get it right more often with the right technique.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milesofsea)
    Totally irrelavant, but I think your eyebrows look really good now (assuming your profile pic is recent). I remember a thread you made about them looking too fake or drawn on, and agreeing (im sorry), so this isn't totally spasmodic, it just occured to me from your username description thingy

Anyway, they look more natural and flattering :yep:

Edit: On topic, the answer is : YES

lol thanks, they have grown back now after the beautician obliterated them :mad:

And yes, its odd people can look so different in photos, i guess when you are taking them yourself you can adjust the angle so its flattering etc, but when someone else is taking it, obviously you cannot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angela_Beth)
    I hate almost every photo of me ever taken, though in real life I think I can look pretty good. Maybe there are secrets to being photogenic we just haven't mastered?
    Smizing! ;D

ReputationRep:
    I do make an effort with appereance - wear nice brands, shave, use hair product, etc.

I'm mainly referring to the face, to be honest.
    Pictures for further analysis. You may not be smiling? Or just making a strange face in place of smiling?

ReputationRep:
    yes. i know many of us take 100 pics and only like 1 lol

ReputationRep:
    If you are ugly than its completley normal if not than no.

(Original post by iamkund)
    Pictures for further analysis. You may not be smiling? Or just making a strange face in place of smiling?
    I meant, I feel my face looks fat or large - even though I don't feel it looks like that in the mirror! I'm not overweight, either.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.