Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My art teacher is the most infuriating teacher I have ever faced. We have quite a lot of resources such as gutta, a sewing machine, oil pastels, coloured card, felt, foil fabric, batik pots, silk and fabric paints, felt tips, pencil crayons, chalk, a kiln, beads, embroidery silk, photoshop and etc. But she doesn’t teach anything or tell me how to get anything above a C! I am being deadly serious.

I keep pestering her for help and asking her how to get a higher grade and all she says, “Is do really good artwork.” WTF? I’ve had to look a specification and I’m still a bit lost. She’s rich to the point she struggles to comprehend that not everybody can afford a 10 megapixel digital camera and is horrified that I can’t even afford a mobile phone with a camera! The silly woman suggests buying disposal cameras but fails to realise that developing film is expensive. So I’m going to have to spend money on a digital camera to take flipping photos of pavement. I have in the past nicked photos off deviant art but it’s hard to find anything that doesn’t look professional.

My old art teacher said that I should achieve an A/A* if I did what my art teacher said. I am arrogant in saying this but I’m very skilled in art and all my artwork is to a high standard. But I’m predicted a C when I’ve done what she’s said AND MORE. The rest of the class is predicted D’s/E’s/F’s at best (chavs) and they destroy my artwork regularly and just demand her attention all the time.

I’m doing GCSE AQA Unendorsed Art and I am doing Natural Forms and Manmade Objects for my two coursework projects. Can anybody give detailed advice what to do to achieve an A/A*? I am begging for any help.

ReputationRep:
    The way to get a good mark in art besides having outstanding final work is research and idea developing, exploring ideas, experimenting with different medias developing different final bits and usually writing a short bit to go with it. You can go off in so many different tangents in the given topic it's completely endless what you could do with it.

Plus most people tend to look up how to use it all themselves. I mean most of us are independent anyway. To get an A in art you have to go all out meaning usually all work is thoroughly researched, independantly done, you've done more than what the brief requires to a professional standard, you've gone past the brief.

Remember art is subjective.

ReputationRep:
    I did that board for my Art GCSE and its a pretty simple formula to get the highest grades.. that and good drawing or at least thinking skills..
    Theme, brainstorm on the theme, artists research on the theme (about 6 different pieces of art that'll inspire you), then a detailed artists study, then take pictures related to the subject maybe, draw observational sketches, and find loads of random stuff to inspire you (I had bits of fabric, quotes, colours, internet images etc)
    Then come up with initial ideas where you look at possible ways to narrow your theme using the stuff you've researched..
    And then media experimenting (do this throughout..)
    And then refine until you come up with a final idea..
    Oh and always make your thought process really clear.. My friend literally had shreds of random paper for her final piece and managed to get an A.. lol
    And I got an A* in it, so this guidance may seem over the top.. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    The way to get a good mark in art besides having outstanding final work is research and idea developing, exploring ideas, experimenting with different medias developing different final bits and usually writing a short bit to go with it. You can go off in so many different tangents in the given topic it's completely endless what you could do with it.

Plus most people tend to look up how to use it all themselves. I mean most of us are independent anyway. To get an A in art you have to go all out meaning usually all work is thoroughly researched, independantly done, you've done more than what the brief requires to a professional standard, you've gone past the brief.

Remember art is subjective.

I do understand this and I am currently working on both these projects but whenever I show my teacher my sketchbooks/work, she’s disinterested and doesn’t give any advice. For example, in the natural forms sketchbook she never told me to annotate and ‘express opinions, ideas and thoughts and feelings’ until I found out from the criteria. She doesn’t even tell us to do artist research! We’ve done three small pieces of Georgia O’Keeffe’s work for Natural Forms but I’ve had to do extra artist research to get a passing grade prediction! My teacher is exceptionally incompetent. The only reason she gets away with this is because most children that take GCSE Art are disruptive pupils and it’s a cheap way to babysit them and to keep them away from the academic pupils taking History.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, though you don't need a dslr to get you an A* all you need is images you produced yourself e.g. scan stuff at school. In addition, deviant art may seem like the best place to look for 'pro' like images however, they may not be what you need- google images will do just fine. Don't stick to your themes.

Do something, develop it and then make up any old crap to make it link. Eg. Natural forms- (picture of pencil) - this relates to natural forms as although it is made out of wood from trees which would normally be seen as a natural form, the harsh contrasting shape of this static pencil shows a contrasting view.

Btw, being Picasso wouldn't get you an A it just means that you're an artist.

ReputationRep:
    Some teachers are just like that. I had a few different art teachers and most were lovely, but I had one very similar to the one you describe!

Really, you have to just get on with it yourself, art is all about independent thinking. If you want to use some of the resources, ask another art or design tech teacher to show you how, and to maybe stay with you while you use it if you need supervision for safety reasons.

Also, a photography element isnt compulsory, use whatever media you find most enjoyable. As for research, again you can't be spoon fed by your teacher, or else everyone would end up with the same art research and work and the whole point of the project would be missed! It's all down to what you want to put into it, you have to think for yourself most of the time with art.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esperoque)
    I do understand this and I am currently working on both these projects but whenever I show my teacher my sketchbooks/work, she’s disinterested and doesn’t give any advice. For example, in the natural forms sketchbook she never told me to annotate and ‘express opinions, ideas and thoughts and feelings’ until I found out from the criteria. She doesn’t even tell us to do artist research! We’ve done three small pieces of Georgia O’Keeffe’s work for Natural Forms but I’ve had to do extra artist research to get a passing grade prediction! My teacher is exceptionally incompetent. The only reason she gets away with this is because most children that take GCSE Art are disruptive pupils and it’s a cheap way to babysit them and to keep them away from the academic pupils taking History.
    Well she may not have thought about it, but you are the one who has to also think of these things, you can't rely on the teacher all the time. It's sort of common sense to research artists who use similar subject matters to what you're hoping to achieve. I mean I'm doing a project on magic right now. I made a sketchbook, researched magic, things associated with magic which led me to magical creatures and exploration of magical creatures and I decided I'd focus on gargoyles. Which means I have to explore them, research them, develop ideas on how I could transfer this to Photoshop and explore different mediums and artists. Maybe head down the scultpure route and how I can transfer that to photoshop. Maybe delve into the sinister side of them because they are quite creepy things. You know what I mean?

You have to remember that at GCSE art is independant as well, so it's almost like you're just given the tools and told to go on your own journey with the project which maybe just some tutorials on how to do certain things.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 28, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.