Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do people generally get on with these coils? Are they any good? Problems?

My contraception has been a nightmare. I asked to go on the pill, they put me on Microgynon. After a three month trial I went back with no problems, but had to see a different doctor, who freaked out and said I should never have been put on it because I get migranes -and once had one with an aura, when I was 12. I've only had a migrane like that once, but she said it means I'm at risk of stroke. So they put me on Cerazette.

Cerazette was horrible! I didn't have the bleeding problems, but it gave me terrible anxiety and made me emotional all the time -angry one minute, crying the next. I'm so laid back normally it was really out of charector and strange -my family and boyfriend were really worried about me. I thought I was going mad. Then my mum told me to stop taking the Cerazette, I did, and within a few days I was fine. I'd been nuts for five months -I hadn't realised it was the pill that was doing it.

So I go back to the doctor and told her I'd stopped taking it and she got cross! I don't think she really believed me when I told her why I'd stopped. She won't put me back on micogynon because she won't be responsible for giving me a stroke. She's reluctant to describe me another progesterone pill, because she says's I'll probably react the same to the progesterone in them. And while I use condoms with my boyfriend, I'm terrified they're going to split half the time and I'm going to get pregnant, and I'm upset. So that leaves a non-hormonal coil.

But I'm afraid of getting the coil! I've heard some horror stories...

She's given me a different progesterone pill to try in the meantime. I havn't gone on it yet -the Cerazette stopped my periods, and I want to have one to let my body sort itself out. I've waited two months, but no period yet (I'm irregular anyway). Not pregnant btw. But I'm frightened to take this pill too because I don't want to go back to the way I felt on Cerazette -I felt awful!

Advice?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.. I'd try another doctor. I get migraines about every 1-2 months, and I'm on femodene (I've been on several combined pills for 6 years, including microgynon). My doctor explained to me that it increases my risk of a stroke, but it's my choice. Is it just the aura you've had once, or migraines in general? If you've only ever had one migraine when you were 12, I'd go see another doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7Magpies)
    How do people generally get on with these coils? Are they any good? Problems?

My contraception has been a nightmare. I asked to go on the pill, they put me on Microgynon. After a three month trial I went back with no problems, but had to see a different doctor, who freaked out and said I should never have been put on it because I get migranes -and once had one with an aura, when I was 12. I've only had a migrane like that once, but she said it means I'm at risk of stroke. So they put me on Cerazette.

Cerazette was horrible! I didn't have the bleeding problems, but it gave me terrible anxiety and made me emotional all the time -angry one minute, crying the next. I'm so laid back normally it was really out of charector and strange -my family and boyfriend were really worried about me. I thought I was going mad. Then my mum told me to stop taking the Cerazette, I did, and within a few days I was fine. I'd been nuts for five months -I hadn't realised it was the pill that was doing it.

So I go back to the doctor and told her I'd stopped taking it and she got cross! I don't think she really believed me when I told her why I'd stopped. She won't put me back on micogynon because she won't be responsible for giving me a stroke. She's reluctant to describe me another progesterone pill, because she says's I'll probably react the same to the progesterone in them. And while I use condoms with my boyfriend, I'm terrified they're going to split half the time and I'm going to get pregnant, and I'm upset. So that leaves a non-hormonal coil.

But I'm afraid of getting the coil! I've heard some horror stories...

She's given me a different progesterone pill to try in the meantime. I havn't gone on it yet -the Cerazette stopped my periods, and I want to have one to let my body sort itself out. I've waited two months, but no period yet (I'm irregular anyway). Not pregnant btw. But I'm frightened to take this pill too because I don't want to go back to the way I felt on Cerazette -I felt awful!

Advice?
    Why not the Mirena (hormonal) coil? It shouldn't affect your moods as the progesterone only has a local affect.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies!

Sorry, to clarify I get migranes fairly frequently, but without auras. I've only ever had one migrane with an aura, when I was 12. The docotr said migranes don't necessarily exclude you from microgynon, but ones with auras do, as apparantly it signifies you're at risk of stroke on this pill.

I might well go and see another doctor and ask, or else a family planning clinic. I just don't know what to do really, I feel awfully confused. I told my boyfriend about it and he said he doesn't want me to risk having a stroke just so we can have sex without condoms... But I'm having trouble relaxing during sex because I'm worried about the condoms breaking all the time (we've had it happen before a fair bit).

As for the coil, she said to me I'd be looking at a coil without hormones. But I've heard so much bad stuff about these -that they hurt, cause really heavy periods and also that they can make you quite ill. I havn't had a child or anything. I was just wondering if people's experiences matched up with all the bad stuff I keep hearing.

Was anyone on Cerazette and switched to a different POP which agreed with them? People keep saying Cerazette is the best of the mini pills, which leaves me feeling a bit depressed...

At this rate I'll be having my tubes tied!

ReputationRep:
    You could always get him to wear the condom then pull out... there's no chance of getting pregnant that way, if he doesn't actually *** inside you.. I did this for quite a while before going on the pill. You can also get extra safe condoms, they feel exactly the same when he's wearing them, they just might make you feel a bit better.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Are the extra safe ones still enjoyable for guys then? He, erm, sometimes has a bit of trouble, so I sort of assumed those would be thicker and he'd feel less and wouldn't be able to enjoy sex as much. At the moment we do use the lighter ones because of this, now you mention it, which probably explain why we get them rip every so often...

...I think nature just wants us to have babies!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.