Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My sisters dislike homosexuals. Watch

keep anon or delete.

It's really getting on my nerves now :rant: My best friend is gay and when I found out, one of my sisters started to act weird and rude around her.
    I personally wouldn't care whether you're gay or not, it's your business what you do. Unfortunately, my sisters don't see it this way. The younger one of my sisters always says "that's so gay" (and pulls a face) when she's talking about something negative. why the hell is this? I asked her and she said "that's the way I was brought up"!!! that's her excuse! I don't buy that, because I would've not liked gays either.. anyway, I just had a huge argument with her and I want her to understand that the way she thinks and her opinion is wrong. So what shall I say to her? I may even show her this thread, so that she gets it!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    eh, she probably already 'gets it'.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think her saying "that's so gay" is indicative of her hating gays in its own right. Many people use it as slang because to be honest she's right - I was brought up with friends who did use the common slang of the time, and to say "that's so gay", while not particularly gay-friendly or nice, was used in an innocent, non-homophobic way.

If she's homophobic, OP, I don't really know if there's much you can do about it. My brother is, and no amount of sense or 'equal rights' jargon I could tell him would change his mind. Just make it so that your friend never feels awkward, i.e. don't prolong contact between the two of them (in a non-sexual way, of course ).

ReputationRep:
    Sorry? Has she done anything else to demonstrate homophobia? Because there are many gays out there that use the phrase 'that's so gay' and/or don't find it offensive at all.

(Original post by EskimoJo)
    Sorry? Has she done anything else to demonstrate homophobia? Because there are many gays out there that use the phrase 'that's so gay' and/or don't find it offensive at all.
    To be honest, I think the word 'hate' is more suitable than 'dislike'. I've spoken to them both separately, just an hour ago had this heated discussion with my sister about her views. She says that she'd never befriend with a gay or if she found out that her friend was gay, then that's it - she would end their friendship. She thinks it's 'disgusting'. I just told her she better keep her mouth shut about those views in sixth form and later in uni, because no sane person will take that **** from her and she may even get in trouble for it.

ReputationRep:
    god this is so gay

(Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    they can dislike whichever practices they please. i dont mind gays and think they should be allowed to marry and that, but that doesnt mean i like what they do, or like how they (some) act publicly, i.e. camp and afeminate. in fact it could be said i have a real dislike for those who act that way.

this is not "homophobia". there is no such thing as "homophobia". i dont think anyone has ever lived who had an irrational fear of gays. can nothing ever just be a dislike? must it always be a phobia, or an ism?

and her opinion is wrong? get out of your own arse, you are judge of nothing and her opinion is as right as yours.

this thread is gay. and anyone who finds that offensive should jew off, and stop being so damn black about it.
    actually, you may be right - they aren't afraid of gays, they dislike them a lot.
    I think it's them to get out of their behind and perhaps you as well - discrimination is wrong, period.

hmm, judging on your last two sentences, I think you're just fishing for more red gems So there's no point talking to you.

ReputationRep:
    tell them to 'low the beef

:holmes:

(Original post by fox_the_fix)
    god this is so gay
    You as well? Didn't expect that :p:
    :fyi: I'm not gay, so if you're trying to upset me by those comment, it ain't working

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You as well? Didn't expect that :p:
    :fyi: I'm not gay, so if you're trying to upset me by those comment, it ain't working
    Do you know me?? =D

I'm not trying to upset, I'm just that annoying guy who makes really bad puns.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I think the word 'hate' is more suitable than 'dislike'. I've spoken to them both separately, just an hour ago had this heated discussion with my sister about her views. She says that she'd never befriend with a gay or if she found out that her friend was gay, then that's it - she would end their friendship. She thinks it's 'disgusting'. I just told her she better keep her mouth shut about those views in sixth form and later in uni, because no sane person will take that **** from her and she may even get in trouble for it.
    Is that what she said? Man, that's gay.

It's her choice tbh...Why aren't we all ranting about how Americans dislike I-raqis and other Ay-rabs :holmes:?

ReputationRep:
    What are you getting so annoyed about? People can feel how they like! Even if they feel differently to you.

ReputationRep:
    My brother is similar, he's very homophobic and justifies himself by saying 'everyone at school is worse than I am so it's not a problem'. He's just an idiot though.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing you can say to change her mind. If she doesn't like them, let her. Can't shove tolerance down people's throats, they have to learn it themselves.

ReputationRep:
    actually, you may be right - they aren't afraid of gays, they dislike them a lot.
    I think it's them to get out of their behind and perhaps you as well - discrimination is wrong, period.

hmm, judging on your last two sentences, I think you're just fishing for more red gems So there's no point talking to you.
    the bottom one was this, some people will get the reference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSD7jb-7x4

"discrimination is wrong, period" wrong by whom, you? you are the committee on these matters now? lmao, i actually love that you think you are correcting people on what is "right" and "wrong", self righteous idiot.

discrimination is natural. disliking a group for how they act is not prejudice, it is just judice. it is judging what you see. there is no rash generalisation made within "i dont like gays", it is a statement of opinion.

also, discriminating against people who discriminate is discrimination. where do we stop? is discriminating between hard workers and lazy people when employing people wrong? is discriminating between the talented and the not wrong? the fit and the weak? ... idiotic standpoint, that every value judgement is a "wrong" one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humz2)
    It's her choice tbh...Why aren't we all ranting about how Americans dislike I-raqis and other Ay-rabs :holmes:?
    and I-rain-ayans! :cute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    the bottom one was this, some people will get the reference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSD7jb-7x4

"discrimination is wrong, period" wrong by whom, you? you are the committee on these matters now? lmao, i actually love that you think you are correcting people on what is "right" and "wrong", self righteous idiot.

discrimination is natural. disliking a group for how they act is not prejudice, it is just judice. it is judging what you see. there is no rash generalisation made within "i dont like gays", it is a statement of opinion.

also, discriminating against people who discriminate is discrimination. where do we stop? is discriminating between hard workers and lazy people when employing people wrong? is discriminating between the talented and the not wrong? the fit and the weak? ... idiotic standpoint, that every value judgement is a "wrong" one.
    You're right. Humans are designed to use first impressions and create patterns subconsciously! I.e. if everyone you meet with small eyes is creepy, your mind will be programmed to believe that all people with small eyes are creepy.

(Original post by sakina101)
    and I-rain-ayans! :cute:
    And like African Americans

A wise guy told me that when an American [best illustrated by G W Bush] says 'I'm proud to be American', they actually say 'I'm proud to be a mercan'

Google it if you have to :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humz2)
    And like African Americans

A wise guy told me that when an American [best illustrated by G W Bush] says 'I'm proud to be American', they actually say 'I'm proud to be a mercan'

Google it if you have to :holmes:
    Googled it! :giggle:
    Reminds me of saying 'Beer Can' = Jamaican 'Bacon'.:cute:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.