Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Underweight yet eat like a horse? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've always been a skinny one and to be honest I've never eaten much but it's never bothered me. I'm 18 and weigh roughly 58kg at around 172cm.
    However, since starting uni (September) I've started eating like a horse yet for some reason it seems like I'm not gaining anything. I have no clue whether this monster increase in appetite is from uni/my course (it feels very demanding, chemical & process engineering, apparently intense studying can make your appetite soar?) or it's some natural bit of my growth and I'm going to be growing soon (or changing physically without growing taller?).
    At uni on average my day looks something like this in terms of my diet if I have lectures (very very rough, the timing varies a lot but the amount of food doesn't really):

8am - A couple of bowls of cereals for breakfast, occasionally a slice of toast or two with peanut butter and jam if I'm feeling very hungry.
    11am - Chocolate bar/something to stave off the hunger
    1pm - 6" sub from Subway loaded to the top with vegetables, etc
    3pm - roughly 250gr chicken, a couple of roast potatoes
    5pm - sandwich (peanut butter + jam or Nutella)
    6pm - roughly 250gr chicken, another couple of roast potatoes
    9pm - yet another "proper" meal, so say homemade burgers, bolognaise spaghetti, etc
    12pm - chocolate milk occasionally with cereals

Again, the timing is very rough and in between those meals I'll often have some cookies or a piece of fruit. I don't always just eat chicken with roast potatoes, I mix it up (beef, pork, hamburgers, sausages, fajitas, chicken curry, sweet n sour chicken with rice, etc) but the overall idea is the same.

I seem to have gained about 2kg over the period of time from mid September to early January (when I last weighed myself), going from 56kg to 58kg, so while that was a huge stepup for me (gaining is really hard) I'm still surprised I haven't gained more. What gives? What could be causing my appetite?
    I've started swimming semi regularly and am going to start starting strength at the gym, but if I already eat this much with a semi active lifestyle then won't I have to eat even more if I start going to the gym?

I'm happy with this increase in appetite but it doesn't seem to be yielding any "results," if you will. Could this be some intense development phase? Would that mean hitting the gym now would be beneficial?

Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, in case it makes any difference, I get very little sleep during the semester Towards the end of the last semester I was pulling one all nighter a week, 4 other days I'd sleep 3-4 hours, and then I'd sleep 10-11 hours on the Friday and Saturday nights.

I suggest you get yourself to the doctors as soon as possible. It may be nothing, or it may be tapeworm(s).

ReputationRep:
    Morning- Glass of warm Lemon water
    - Hot chocolate 2 toast slices and egg with baked beans

Before Midday- Snack-apple

After midday- half a chocolate cereal bar
    - orange
    1 glass of water

Tea- 2 cheese toasts slices with lots of salad and a glass half-filled with coke
    - 1 glass of water and a banana

Supper - A few chips, 2 fish fingers and some sweetcorn with some cheese topping and baked beans

And I am 9 stone,

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, i would advice you to fill your diet with complex carbs and good fats, so whole grain bread/pasta, oats, sweet potatoes, yams, brown rice etc... have a couple table spoons of olive oil with a few of you meals. Milk is also another good source of calories, i drink about 2 pints a day. Obviously dont forget your protein. But it seems you are eating quite a bit for your weight strange...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic_007)
    Morning- Glass of warm Lemon water
    - Hot chocolate 2 toast slices and egg with baked beans

Before Midday- Snack-apple

After midday- half a chocolate cereal bar

Tea- 2 cheese toasts slices with lots of salad

Supper - A few chips, 2 fish fingers and some sweetcorn with some cheese topping and baked beans

And I am 9 stone,
    you have the diet of a malnourished todler

ReputationRep:
    Anon: I would but then this appetite seemed to die over the holidays when I was back home with the family (though for the latter half of that, getting dumped probably had a huge effect on it... hardly ate anything for a week). I'm reasonably sure it's not tapeworms. How can they test to see if it's tapeworms though?
    ellingham: Thanks, will do! I do eat a lot of pasta and rice but they're not brown/whole grain, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I love milk so I'll probably try to up my consumption of that too.
    TK2: Not the case unfortunately. :p:

Anyway, I'll be right back, time to make myself a nice barbeque burger. Yummmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellingham)
    you have the diet of a malnourished todler
    Lol at the sarcasm.

I know my diet is fattening!

Probably just a high metabolism. I'm the same.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation. Make the most of your fortunate metabolism. Some people would kill for it.

ReputationRep:
    Your Hungary, my friend. Eat.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same man..I think we should enjoy it while it lasts..:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    i dont think they were being sarcastic.
    How can the guy not be sarcastic?

You should re-read my diet again, that should be a little more than average. Anyone who eats above this must eat more because they are doing physical exercise. This fufills me fine!

ReputationRep:
    Lol at the sarcasm.

I think you've got some ******* serious issues....

ReputationRep:
    man you living my dream, eat and eat still be skinny, in my eyes you have a super power.

remember with power comes great responsibility

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lack of Creativity)
    I'm in the same situation. Make the most of your fortunate metabolism. Some people would kill for it.
    Hardly, I need to put on some weight and a hell of a lot of strength, looking to get a job in the emergency services and it's proving really tough as hell. :/

ReputationRep:
    Congrats you have a fast metabolism. Eat fatty foods, ice cream, pork scratchings if you want to gain weight, just dont escalate your cholesterol too much and have it as part of a varied diet.

hyperthyroidism?

ReputationRep:
    yeah right. just eat, man.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at the sarcasm.

I was not being sarcastic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skycat)
    Hardly, I need to put on some weight and a hell of a lot of strength, looking to get a job in the emergency services and it's proving really tough as hell. :/
    Heh, I'm going for the armed forces and need to put two stone on. And people think it's easy. :eek:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.