Turn on thread page Beta

Who else does NOT have a best friend? watch

ReputationRep:
    I used to, but we drifted apart and we can talk to each other, there's just no desire to be together now. The situation in school you have, story of my life :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    nope don't have one, doesn't really bother me though,

(Original post by YellowDucksOnBlueSocks)
    Ahh, someone to share my pain. How did or are you getting over it? I've just been investing in things that make me happy and hoping to join clubs when i go back to uni next week. My uni friends are pretty cool but they're all males basically. So it's different
    It was quite tough, she proceeded to turn my other friends against me so I essentially lost all my friends. I was SO lonely and I was so insecure after that, I didn't even want to make other friends, I used to sit in the library alone :rolleyes: I'm better now though, I know she was never a friend.

ReputationRep:
    look on the bright side, at least you know there's nothing wrong with your social skills!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Who doesn't have a best friend, a friend who you can speak to about anything, a friend who would do anything for you etc. ?
    Just because you don't have one super best friend, doesn't mean that there aren't friends with whom you can talk about anything.

I too am a somewhat socially isolated person with no best friend (not only that, but I am also a 21 year old supervirgin who's never had a girl).
    However despite that I still have a couple of friends with whom I feel I can talk about anything.
    The lack of a best friend doesn't mean that you can't have people with whom you are close.

ReputationRep:
    I dont have a best friend. My friends are very dispersed. I've never had a solid "group", I just drift between them.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a pair of best friends but they went to a different sixth form that involved a fair bit of travelling, which I didn't have time for. I hardly get chance to see them anymore...
    Now I don't have a best friend - instead I have a group of friends and I honestly couldn't say that I had a favourite amongst them. I prefer it like this - none of us ever seem to fall out, whereas with 'friend pairs' this seems more common? However, I still don't feel comfortable talking to anyone openly about really serious or emotional stuff, but I don't know if that's just the way I am; often I won't speak to my family about things like that.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have best friends but I just have friends and acquaintances now. Ever since someone told me when I was younger that my problems were insignificant and that I should quit whining. I've stopped telling people my feelings or secrets. If I look down I just tend to lie about it. I dunno I just feel like a burden on them if I do tell them.

I don't like the idea of best friends anyway, I couldn't pick and choose my friends like that anymore. Don't worry friendship groups change a lot in your life.

ReputationRep:
    when i moved schools i made friends and we do stuff at weekends but they have this huge history and lots of in-jokes so i'm just a peripheral member of a group. Oh well, i have more acquaintences than you can shake a stick at...

ReputationRep:
    I have no best friend.

Its sad, as I am a bit of a loner. Emotionally bonding is difficult for me. I've grown use to it though, I tend to do many things on my own.

ReputationRep:
    i have quite good mates who regard me as their best friend, but i have quite large group of close friends

ReputationRep:
    i dont, i have a group of mates i go out with and have a laugh with but i have no one i can tell EVERYTHING to but tbh i dont mind, im not so good with the heart to heart convos so it suits me

ReputationRep:
    Meh, i got used to it for the last three years.It might be due to my not much talkative nature.
    Yes you heard it right ......

ReputationRep:
    I have a great group of friends, but my brash sarcastic personality tends to push away any best friends or girl friends... sometimes its hard as you have to make ALL of lifes hard decisions on your own (i dont talk to my family) but hey its not the end of the world

i dont have a best friend either, i had a close group of so called friends during high school, but it always seemed as though they were all waiting in silence for any oppertunity to get one over on the rest.

now were all at different uni's and i've not been able to form that friendship bond with anyone, and generally find myself always being alone, whether its in lectures/ seminars, or that extra bit of time before lectures. It does get depressing at times, but i get through the day by attempting to not think about the loneliness.

Ahhh i think i would love to have a best friend, never had one before, never had any 'good' friend, ive just settled for people out of fear of being lonely. Its difficult always going shopping alone, you cant help but think everyones looking at you, and mocking you for being alone. Oh flipping heck i need to click out of this thread before i start sobbing away like a little girl.

ReputationRep:
    got loads of friends who would do things for me, very few i would tell anything to, though i tend to tell most people about most things as that is how I am. but i don't feel attached enough to anyone to really have a best friend

ReputationRep:
    I used to be in a situation similar to you, OP. Still am in a way.

That's not the point though, I know it's hard but you need to get out there, talk to people at college, find someone you connect well with and then get their number and continue from there

ReputationRep:
    i had one for 12 years, but well things change i guess /:
    we still talk now and then though

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but the way I think of it is I am here for myself so I must look after myself and not spend too much time on others, as you'll likely end up being used, and people are insignificant to my life and aspirations - I have moved from school to a new sixth form, to a new university, then onto a new job in a different country all while meeting new people. Also, I am not insecure enough to need a best friend as I am capable to survive on my own. Therefore I have no need for close friends other than a few medium-close (or w/e you call it) friends and good acquaintances.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.