Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi my name is robyn I am new to this site.
    I was wondering if i could get any feedback on transferring universities
    I am currently studying sociology in manchester university 1st year and would like to move to the second year of sociology in bristol university as it is closer to home and i dont feel like i am settling in in manchester. How do i go about doing this? I have emailed the university of bristol and they replied sayin i would have to go through ucas and achieve a 2:1 in the end of year1 but i still dont understand how i actually proceed with doing this? My friends in bristol are getting a house so i would need to put a deposit down how do i know if i will be accepted and how do i proceed with a transfer? Advice!!please!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rwalters6)
    Hi my name is robyn I am new to this site.
    I was wondering if i could get any feedback on transferring universities
    I am currently studying sociology in manchester university 1st year and would like to move to the second year of sociology in bristol university as it is closer to home and i dont feel like i am settling in in manchester. How do i go about doing this? I have emailed the university of bristol and they replied sayin i would have to go through ucas and achieve a 2:1 in the end of year1 but i still dont understand how i actually proceed with doing this? My friends in bristol are getting a house so i would need to put a deposit down how do i know if i will be accepted and how do i proceed with a transfer? Advice!!please!!
    You would fill in a UCAS application as for your original uni application, except that where it asks what year you're applying for, you put 2nd year rather than 1st year. You don't know you'll be accepted, unless Bristol have told you that you will be, so you'll just have to take a risk or hold off and find someone else to live with.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.. With the personal statement what do i include if its a transfer is it like the las statement i wrote?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.. With the personal statement what do i include if its a transfer is it like the las statement i wrote?
    Same basic structure and approach yes, although you will probably want to include a paragraph on the university you're leaving (from a positive perspective) in terms of what you have learnt academically and in terms of the soft skills of learning to cope at university and the style of learning.

ReputationRep:
    Can you use the same personal statement then as i never applied to bristol las time anyway.. and jus add paragraph on reason for leaving and about the university year. skills etc.

ReputationRep:
    Can you use the same personal statement then as i never applied to bristol las time anyway.. and jus add paragraph on reason for leaving and about the university year. skills etc.
    You can use the same PS yes, providing you put your previous UCAS application number in your new UCAS application so they can match you up and know its you (ie: you're not copying someone elses PS)

However, surely having studied sociology for a year you will have much more to say about the subject than you would have done this time last year when you hadn't done it at uni. They will want to see that you've progressed in your time at Manchester etc so it would be good to update your "academic" discussion part of your PS to reflect this new knowledge etc. Additionally you might be a member of a university society etc which you will want to include.

If you post it in PS help I will take a look at it for you and help you out. I study anthropology meaning I look at a lot of sociology applications in PS help. Do not post it on this thread/in the UCAS and applications forum of tsr, post it in this forum:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=303
    This is a private part of tsr where only people who have proven they are at university (and some moderators) can see the threads meaning your application is safe

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks i will post it to there now. Where would I put my old ucas application number.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks i will post it to there now. Where would I put my old ucas application number.
    I believe there is a section of the UCAS form which asks if you have made any previous applications to UCAS and if you have done, you should enter your previous application number. I don't know where it is as haven't used UCAS since applying to university myself in 2005, sorry.

Okay, well I will have a look at it for you later on this evening when I have some free time

ReputationRep:
    O i think i done that then as at the start of the application i put my old id number in so guessing thats it. OKthanks hope its ok as got little time as need to send off as soon as possible Also.. I have been asked by uni to provide a transcript how do i go about doing this?

ReputationRep:
    O i think i done that then as at the start of the application i put my old id number in so guessing thats it. OKthanks hope its ok as got little time as need to send off as soon as possible Also.. I have been asked by uni to provide a transcript how do i go about doing this?
    Contact your Director of Studies/Personal Tutor/whatever your university calls the academic staff member who has "responsibility" for you and ask if they can provide you with an authorised transcript of your results. They will have done this before so they will know what you are needing. On your UCAS form you will probably be able to enter the modules you are doing this year and give any results you already have, and then you can send an actual transcript to Bristol in the post/via email too.

I will look at your PS now

ReputationRep:
    O i cant seem to find where I can put my modules and marks in soo Im guessing i just leave it with my a levels and gcses and then send a transcript then seperatly ? thankkks

P.S: I have just realised my personal statement is tooo long I am trying to cut it down now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.