Turn on thread page Beta

Conservatives plan on state-education... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    That's why I said they should be massively increased.
    There called comprehensive schools, that the idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Maybe, perhaps we need a system where people sign up to do teaching before they start their final year, which would mean only those truely interested would sign up.
    Hm, quoted the wrong person before.

But yeah, you don't need a degree to have some PGCEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JNV)
    There called comprehensive schools, that the idea.

No, they're called grammar schools, and there's a big distinction between grammars and comps, which is why we should expand grammars.

ReputationRep:
    Hm, you know, you don't need a degree to do a PGCE.
    Well, surely there is always some kind of qualification involved?

Hm, you know, you don't need a degree to do a PGCE.
    yes you do.

ReputationRep:
    No, they're called grammar schools, and there's a big distinction between grammars and comps, which is why we should expand grammars.
    The point im making is we should have quality education for all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    yes you do.

No, you don't. Not for all of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    Well, surely there is always some kind of qualification involved?
    There is, but it's no where near degree standard.

My mum did her PGCE 2 years ago from the IOE and doesn't have a degree. The focus is on prior and current experience.

No, you don't. Not for all of them.
    yes you do. you need a degree for ALL PGCE courses.

stop speaking ****.

ReputationRep:
    yes you do. you need a degree for ALL PGCE courses.

stop speaking ****.

(Original post by from the Institute of Ed)
    PGCE/Diploma Post-Compulsory Education (In-service, Part-time)

Entry Requirements
    This course is open to graduates, or non-graduates with a level three qualification in their subject area. Applicants must be teaching a minimum of three hours per week (amounting to 150 hours minimum over two years) in an appropriate learning provider in the lifelong learning sector.
    Sorry, are you quite sure about that?

Level 3 qualification is not a degree.

Don't swear at me like you know what you're talking about.

http://www.ioe.ac.uk/study/teacherTraining/98.html

Sorry, are you quite sure about that?

Level 3 qualification is not a degree.

Don't swear at me like you know what you're talking about.
    that course is to teach in the post 16 sector. Its only for sixth form and college.......and to take it you allready have to be working as a teacher.

its basically a qualification for a job that you dont need a qualification to do

ReputationRep:
    Grammar schools are the only way, if you don't have schools who test their pupils on entry, you'll have einsteins in the local state school held back and bored out of their skulls. I think all private schools should be turned into grammar schools as well though.

ReputationRep:
    that course is to teach in the post 16 sector. Its only for sixth form and college.......and to take it you allready have to be working as a teacher.

its basically a qualification for a job that you dont need a qualification to do

It's also still a PGCE, so I was right thanks.

And yes you already have to be working as a teacher, but normally it's working part-time as a teacher on very low level courses at an Adult education college, where getting the PGCE means you can work full and part-time teaching A levels and the like, which is an upgrade. So your second statement also isn't entirely correct.

ReputationRep:
    Hm, quoted the wrong person before.

But yeah, you don't need a degree to have some PGCEs.
    I know, my girlfriends mum doesn't have a degree. But it's getting to the point where almost every teacher does have one now though. I would say that signing onto a 2-3 year PGCE is proof enough that you want to be a teacher and it wasn't just a last resort anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *R*a*c*h*)
    Grammar schools are an awful idea... while many grammar schools get good results, what are the implications for kids who don't pass the 11+? It'll ultimately result in two-tier schooling with all the money+resources going to the grammars and the kids in the comps not really being given the opportunity to advance.

Intelligence and aspiration should not be decided at age 11, I know loads of people who did poorly in key stage 2 sats but brilliantly at GCSE/A Level and vice versa.
    what a load of rubbish! grammar schools get far less funding than comps. etc.
    the worse the school performs, the more cash the government give them to try and improve. therefore grammar schools tend to get the least funding out of any of the state schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    Grammar schools are the only way, if you don't have schools who test their pupils on entry, you'll have einsteins in the local state school held back and bored out of their skulls. I think all private schools should be turned into grammar schools as well though.
    We had one of the 10 highest GCSE achievers in our state comp...
    They did fine in their S-Levels...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    We had one of the 10 highest GCSE achievers in our state comp...
    They did fine in their S-Levels...
    He's got a point though, in most state schools the smater kids get extremly bored and often ignored. Not that I think gramma schools are the only way foward, more schools should probably be like yours.

ReputationRep:
    The main advantage of grammar schools (from what I've heard) is that they try to encourage and stretch the talented people to get more out of them.

Most comps just try and drag up the bottom line. (Certainly the one I went to tried to do this, there was so much focus on GCSE students at the c/d boundary it was unreal).

I think what we do need is a two tier education system. The government should stop wasting resources funneling everyone through GCSE's when it's clear they don't help a significant number of people. How many people really care from day to day about the liberal welfare reforms, Iambic pentameters, or the solution to a quadratic? At the age of 14, I would like to see a larger split into academic and vocational educational routes.

ReputationRep:
    Outlaw private schools, more taxes on the highest income earners and grades across the board will increase.

Not sure whether grammar schools are the right idea, but I think more emphasis needs to be put on pupils in state schools, pushing them to do the right levels (for them) and the grades that the pupils attain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JmsG)
    Outlaw private schools, more taxes on the highest income earners and grades across the board will increase.

Not sure whether grammar schools are the right idea, but I think more emphasis needs to be put on pupils in state schools, pushing them to do the right levels (for them) and the grades that the pupils attain.
    So what you would to do is tax rich people more so their children can go to worse schools.

I really cannot see how that helps anyone.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.