Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you/ have you ever relied on this method as a birth control? Has it been successful?
    I understand it is risky, just wanted to hear others from a practical view

ReputationRep:
    Its as risky as it is ineffective. Very.

ReputationRep:
    Interestingly, I heard that the rhythm method (which is obviously not the same) is 90% effective IF done properly. I don't see the point in it though when you could just use proper contraception.

ReputationRep:
    Noooo don't do it! :nooo:

(Experience of someone I know = bad :sadnod:)

ReputationRep:
    "Proper" contraception > withdrawal. It famously screws things up for people and isn't fantastically reliable. I wouldn't try if I was you, just asking for trouble.

(Original post by Reue)
    Its as risky as it is ineffective. Very.
    why is it personal experience?

OP, dont rely on people's replies here, you will get the general "omg are people joking" type of attitude.
    half the worl is doing it lol

we'll see in a month how effective it was :eek3:

Yes a couple of times but only sort of in combination with the rhythm method, so 3-4 days before my period starts. Only when theres no other option though and my circumstances are in such a way that getting pregnant wouldn't be bad, im in a long term stable relationship, my partner has a good job and i am towards the end of my degree.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes.
    I usually just get her to go on top when I finish.
    It won't get her preggerz because of gravity

ReputationRep:
    What would be the point?

ReputationRep:
    Don't use it as your primary form of contraception. I've used it when there wasn't an alternative, so I guess it's better than not taking any preventative measures if you've not got a condom, etc. But I still wouldn't advise it because I've heard many horror stories. Think I was just lucky! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    Think I was just lucky! :rolleyes:
    Nah im just sterile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't risk it myself.

ReputationRep:
    Is this thread started by the girlfriend of the guy complaining about his girlfriend 'pulling out' this morning and going to a psychology revision session instead?

:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    why is it personal experience?

OP, dont rely on people's replies here, you will get the general "omg are people joking" type of attitude.
    half the worl is doing it lol

we'll see in a month how effective it was :eek3:
    Yes, theres a tonne of ickly Reues running around these places. Most are trolls.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who had a lot of promiscuous and not very intelligent friends during my school years, I can tell you that no, it is not effective, that NHS nurses get quite snippy when you go to get the morning after pill for the third time, and that abortions are grisly and unpleasant.
    I recommend the pill, condoms are ugly and nasty smelling things in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    It works perfectly fine. In principle. Not against STDs though, but neither does the pill and people have sex without a condom with the girl on the pill all the time. Myself included.

But guys are lazy and won't pull out in time/properly half the time. If you fully pull out before you shoop da whoop and get finished off with another method, so don't pull out mid-jizz you're fine.

There is a tiny risk is that if you've got sperm left over from some other time in your tubes 'cause you havn't taken a leak.

Yes a couple of times but only sort of in combination with the rhythm method, so 3-4 days before my period starts. Only when theres no other option though and my circumstances are in such a way that getting pregnant wouldn't be bad, im in a long term stable relationship, my partner has a good job and i am towards the end of my degree.
    don't you get the rhythm method wrong? isn't it supposed to be safer straight After your period? (women want sex more before it for a reason)

Also, I've heard if people do it for several years without getting pregnant they have problems with reproductive functions. What do you think are the chances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    It works perfectly fine. In principle. Not against STDs though, but neither does the pill and people have sex without a condom with the girl on the pill all the time. Myself included.

But guys are lazy and won't pull out in time/properly half the time. If you fully pull out before you shoop da whoop and get finished off with another method, so don't pull out mid-jizz you're fine.

There is a tiny risk is that if you've got sperm left over from some other time in your tubes 'cause you havn't taken a leak.
    You seem to lack knowledge of basic famale anatomy :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, if you're gunna go all natural, doing it in the least fertile time of a female's cycle is more effective. Butt I'd never just stick with that.

don't you get the rhythm method wrong? isn't it supposed to be safer straight After your period? (women want sex more before it for a reason)

Also, I've heard if people do it for several years without getting pregnant they have problems with reproductive functions. What do you think are the chances?
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ircle3.svg.png
    nope, sperm lives for up to 5-7 days and your egg survives for about 2 days, your egg is released i think about 5 days after your period, something like that anyway.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.