Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been thinking of applying to Camp America, and every experience I have heard about it is amazing, everyone has given it 5 out of 5 stars etc., but I'm worried about coping with loneliness. During those 2-3 months of working, would it be better just to travel around Europe/Asia on my own and meeting up with friends (I know I wouldn't be lonely, at least... and if I'm homesick, I could just go home whenever, whereas in Camp America I'm contracted for 9 weeks)? I absolutely love travel but I'm not sure to what extent I could afford it in the summer months, one reason why I am doing Camp America, along with all the other reasons of course. How lonely are you once you reach the camp? Or will going to Camp America help to get rid of my loneliness and I will be too busy even to think of it?

ReputationRep:
    I think on Camp America there are lots of other people your age - from what I've heard, people seem to make friends amongst the others working there. I understand why you're worrying, but you probably wouldn't think about it once you got there!

ReputationRep:
    I think as well you won't be the only person homesick or feeling lonely...so you can all help each other out. I think it is a good experience because you have to be independent one day.

ReputationRep:
    If you went to work on a summer camp, you're guaranteed to meet loads of people! You'll be working with lots of others between the age of 18 - 20somethings - and you'll also take a group flight out to America as well. So you are with other people from before you even get on the plane!

Traveling on your own defo gives you chance to meet others too - but unless you are going with friends anyway - it can be lonely - at least that's my opinion from my experience of both summer camp, and traveling alone at some stages.

ReputationRep:
    Camp America gives you the chance to do both really! I'm goingto camp this year and everything that I've heard from people is that you don't even have time to be homesick, because you're so busy having the time of your life! Also, at the end of if you get paid and can go travelling with all the friends you meet at camp. Its up to you in the end but I would choose camp!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you will get lonely on Camp America, I didi it and although there were not many European councellors there I had a great time and got on pretty well with all the Americans, then travelled with a couple of the English councellors for a month afterwards. it was a great experience and to be honest I didn't really have enough time to get lonely, though I think you have to go in with the right attitude and if you;re thinking about it being a tough time and becoming homesick you might accidently make the experience turn that way for you. Positive Mental Attitude and I think you will have a great time!

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.