The Student Room Group

Only 0.4% of terrorist attacks in Europe by Muslims

http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/terrorism-in-europe/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loonwatch+%28loonwatch.com%29

It has statistics and links to the Europol website that publishes the EU Terrorism Situation and Trend Report, which shows that Muslims as a group commit the least terrorist attacks in Europe.

What do you think?

I hope (which really means I know it will) that this will not turn into another Muslims bashing thread, but here goes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well im sure ETA make up for a majority of the percentage, ETA has also had forged an armed campaign which has lasted for over 40 years. Islamic terrorism however is relatively new to Europe which naturally causes an anti-Islamic feeling among alot of people.
Reply 2
Propaganda bull ****.
terrorism has quite a broad span that's why it's so great to name something a "war on terror". Great propaganda tool, fear and ignorance, fear and igonorance
Reply 4
While I don't have any view on this, I'd like to point out a flaw in the argument.

What is the magnitude of attacks that have been carried out by each group? Quality over quantity would give greater insight as to how much absolute damage has been inflicted by each group.
Reply 5
If I were to guess I'd have thought it would be something like 5% but yeah, this isn't really surprising unless your a complete moron that thinks terrorist = muslim.
what about in the last ten years?
Also the next terror attack, who would you put your money on ti coming from?
Reply 8
innerhollow
Yes I know. The FBI themselves have collated statistics which show that Islamic terrorism accounts for a small percentage of total terrorism. The media's never gonna let us believe that though will they? They've snared us in their wicked mindtrap, such that we cannot bring ourselves to believe that Islamic terrorism is not the main form of terrorism. :eek: As I sit here, noticing how difficult it is for me to believe that Islamic terrorism is really tiny by comparison, I realise how tightly the media has me in their grasp. They're such pricks

The FBI statistics are useless. Islamic terrorism simply hasn't been a problem for the West until very recently, so to go all the way back to 1980 makes drawing any meaningful comparisons about the state of play now next to impossible.
Reply 9
MJlover
:nope:

Again OP, do you realise how out of context your Tolstoy quote is?

Oh and The Genuine Islam doesn't even exist. :lol:

:rolleyes:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:George_Bernard_Shaw#Genuine_Islam_quote
Reply 10
CocoPop
While I don't have any view on this, I'd like to point out a flaw in the argument.

What is the magnitude of attacks that have been carried out by each group? Quality over quantity would give greater insight as to how much absolute damage has been inflicted by each group.

Quality ? Are you serious.

The press and media control how big a story gets and the true magnitude.

The IRA probably have killed thousands but the media hasn't made out being an Irish person is bad as much as they have made out being a Muslim.
innerhollow
Yes I know. The FBI themselves have collated statistics which show that Islamic terrorism accounts for a small percentage of total terrorism. The media's never gonna let us believe that though will they? They've snared us in their wicked mindtrap, such that we cannot bring ourselves to believe that Islamic terrorism is not the main form of terrorism. :eek: As I sit here, noticing how difficult it is for me to believe that Islamic terrorism is really tiny by comparison, I realise how tightly the media has me in their grasp. They're such pricks

The FBI also took a picture of the Spanish PM off Google images, whacked a beard on it and released it as an updated 'most wanted' photo of what Bin Laden will look like now. I think they're pretty rubbish.

Anyway this source is so unreliable and obviously biased. When talking about US they conveniently go back to 1980. Did you know that between 1066 and 2009 the percentage of attacks on UK which were due to Muslims was only 0.00000001%?

Then Europe probably classifies all sorts of **** as terrorism in order to allow member states to use their fantastic new 'anti-terror' legislation to do whatever they want (like how UK used anti-terror legislation to freece Icelandish assets recently). It probably counts as a terrorist attack when animal rights campaigners do anything (like when they dug up a corpse to mess with the head of an animal research lab or something), or when hippie lefties lock themselves in a wind turbine factory they don't want to shut down. It doesn't change the fact that I would rather take on a vegan with a shovel than an extremist Muslim with a bomb. i.e. the only terror attacks that were serious in the UK in recent years were by Muslim extremists.
the1gringo

The IRA probably have killed thousands but the media hasn't made out being an Irish person is bad as much as they have made out being a Muslim.

Problem because islamic terrorism is a bigegr threat
Reply 13
the1gringo

Re-read my post. I referred to the "absolute damage", not the perceived damage.

Obviously different sources will portray statistics in a different light, and it is likely the most biased of these sources that have induced Islamophobia in the public. However, the statement "x percent of terrorist attacks are done by this group" does not provide enough information information about the nature of the damage caused by that group. For example, group A could blow up 9 houses, 1 at a time on separate occasions. Group B could blow up 10 houses all in one go. Group B consequently comprises of 10% of all terrorist attacks, but has caused more than half the total absolute damage. Hence my reference to quality vs. quantity.

Clearly 0.4% is a small enough statistic to substantiate the claim that there is a severe case of propaganda and Islamophobia, but I would be curious to see a more robust analysis of the damage caused by each group.
the1gringo

Err, when my dad was younger during the troubles in Ireland he was regularly stopped for "looking Irish" and said troubles were heavily reported on. Sure the IRA have probably killed thousands but a long time ago... why would it be reported now?

If you're going on figures, in the country which most people using this forum come from, what percentage of terrorist caused deaths and injuries last decade came from islamic extremism? ~100% for deaths and approaching 90% for injuries, if you accept the list on wikipedia. Then you have the amount that failed which are again mostly islamic, which you could argue is the success story of counter-terrorism targeting.
Low Profile
terrorism has quite a broad span that's why it's so great to name something a "war on terror". Great propaganda tool, fear and ignorance, fear and igonorance

I pretty much agree with this. :yep:
Then why are 97% of convicted terrorists Muslim?
Reply 17
dichr0ic
Again OP, do you realise how out of context your Tolstoy quote is?

Oh and The Genuine Islam doesn't even exist. :lol:

:rolleyes:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:George_Bernard_Shaw#Genuine_Islam_quote

Maybe that book doesn't exist. Maybe its an internet rumour. But stop ************ about Tolstoy, he held Islam in high regard and sung its praises.
MJlover
Maybe that book doesn't exist. Maybe its an internet rumour. But stop ************ about Tolstoy, he held Islam in high regard and sung its praises.

Yet not enough to become a Muslim.
Reply 19
Moe Lester
Yet not enough to become a Muslim.

Well, holding a faith / doctrine in high regard is quite independent from having faith in the core aspects and choosing to become an adherent.

I admire Christians and Buddhists; green-peace activists and the Japanese military... not enough to join any of these groups though. :p: Also note their mutual incoherence.

Latest

Trending

Trending