Turn on thread page Beta

what do you gain from being in a relationship? watch

ReputationRep:
    This may seem like a weird question, but I'm curious. I've never been in a relationship, which I'm fine with. But i see so many people here that sound like they are on the verge of suicide, because they've never had a boyfriend or girlfriend. I just want to know, what is so special about being a relationship? I mean is it really that serious? What does someone in a relationship have that a single person doesn't?

ReputationRep:
    - Someone to cook for me
    - Blowjobs on tap
    - Cleaner

But the money I lose for her I could pretty much buy the above anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think being in a relationship is inherently any better than being single, aside from the love, of course.
    Either way, I don't think there's any reason to WANT to be in a relationship when you're single and haven't met the right person. Seems weird to me, too.

ReputationRep:
    mad propz from mah boiz.

ReputationRep:
    Hormonal changes and sensory input to the pleasure centres of the brain...

ReputationRep:
    Depends on who it is, how great you get on and just how much you love each other as to whether you experience more of the highs of human emotion to the lows. Either way it is an exhilarating emotional investment. Or it can be completely devoid of this, and that isnt really a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    your partner is someone you feel immensley close to. much closer than you can feel to a best friend. or at the very least a different type of closeness.

you have someone to fall back on, someone you can always talk to. someone you can make happy. someone you can trust, someone who accepts you for who you are, someone you don't have to hide anything from, who you can totally relax around...

making yourself hugely vulnerable to someone and having them only love you back is an amazing feeling

its really really hard to explain properly. but i actually hate being single, it just feels wrong to me. thats not to say i'll go out with any old person. but when i'm single i am always looking for the oppurtunity

ReputationRep:
    Happiness, bonding, someone to tell stories, love.

ReputationRep:
    It's soooooo much better than being single!

-Sex on tap
    -Affection on tap
    -There's someone who thinks you ALWAYS look beautiful/handsome
    -Someone to spend time with whenever and tell everything to

It's awesome!
    I'ma go revel in my smug coupledom now
    Ha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I don't think being in a relationship is inherently any better than being single, aside from the love, of course.
    Either way, I don't think there's any reason to WANT to be in a relationship when you're single and haven't met the right person. Seems weird to me, too.
    I agree. I think a lot of those people will eventually end up in terrible relationships with the first person that shows interest in them, and come out of it in a worse state than they were beforehand.

LOL @ fox. If sex is the reason, girls should not be complaining because you can look like Precious and there will still be a guy within easy reach willing to have sex with you

ReputationRep:
    Free sammiches.

ReputationRep:
    Love, companionship, complete trust, a person to rely on, someone to make you laugh, someone to look after/to look after you, intimate on so many levels, someone to share life experiences with, someone for advice and support. And you do the same for them...
    It's very very difficult to explain.

ReputationRep:
    ive given up on relationships as i tend to find immature men who dont know what they want lol. but from the good experiences being a relationship brought out the best in me, and he made me believe in myself to further my career and better myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollypop036)
    This may seem like a weird question, but I'm curious. I've never been in a relationship, which I'm fine with. But i see so many people here that sound like they are on the verge of suicide, because they've never had a boyfriend or girlfriend. I just want to know, what is so special about being a relationship? I mean is it really that serious? What does someone in a relationship have that a single person doesn't?
    Someone that loves you, it's a powerful feeling. Someone who you can always kiss and they'll never reject you.

Relationship, not so different. Love? Life changing.

ReputationRep:
    Genital warts.

ReputationRep:
    Relationships? I loved someone once, at least I thought I did at the time. I've had plenty of relationships since and I've never loved since.
    Anything I've gained? A hardened heart.

Sounds tragic but I'm actually happy with life!

Oh, and relationships also include coming home to a cup of tea and a cuddle with one of my best friends

ReputationRep:
    So far I've yet to see the gains from being in a relationship. Come to think of it I'm actually happier and have a better social life when I'm single...the freedom to do whatever, whenever, wherever :woo:
    Relationships are just one of those things that end leaving you thinking what a pile of **** but you still find yourself looking for it again. Just a thing you love to hate, and hate to love.

ReputationRep:
    it's the difference between wanting to be in a relationship, and wanting to be with the right person (i.e. THE person.)

i don't understand people who just hate the idea of being single and have to have someone just for the sake of being with someone.

i'd much prefer being single than that

ReputationRep:
    Being in a good relationship with someone you're very close to > Single > Being in any old relationship.

ReputationRep:
    You'll know when you have your first relationship; it's amazing

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.