Turn on thread page Beta

what do you gain from being in a relationship? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollypop036)
    This may seem like a weird question, but I'm curious. I've never been in a relationship, which I'm fine with. But i see so many people here that sound like they are on the verge of suicide, because they've never had a boyfriend or girlfriend. I just want to know, what is so special about being a relationship? I mean is it really that serious? What does someone in a relationship have that a single person doesn't?
    relationships, or rather marriage teach you a lot of things, it teaches you to be selfless, patient, long suffering, never pay back eveil for evil, you learn humility, you learn kindness, you become as one and you are intertwined and stronger together than apart...best of all you learn to love as you would like to be loved...

now when relationships and marriage is donw well this is the fruit that comes out of it!

ReputationRep:
    singleness when done well is great too!! You can learn to preapre yourself for both relationships and marriage, you get to be a great steward to the people around you...you can babysit for married couples, give them a night of, you can help in the community...you can get started and progressive on building up your skills in the workforce and career!

ReputationRep:
    I see a lot of really nice responses here,
    but i feel like they apply to older, more mature people in serious relationships, not horny teenagers. I might be wrong but that's how it seems to me.

ReputationRep:
    Chlamydia :haha: sorry. I'm kidding

ReputationRep:
    they have angst. or at least, in any relationship i've ever been in/seen/heard about. if you like someone enough to be in a relationship with them, good on you, if not, don't worry, you can have a better life being single anyway.

ReputationRep:
    This amazing closeness and intimate door into someone else's life. That's when I believe in the whole opposites attract thing. My bf and I are the most different people imaginable in about 80% of our characters, but it's amazing to see and learn from one anoter. It's like we're both at opposite ends of the scale bit together we balance one another out. Trust. stability. Feels like home trust me, finding the right person is so so so worth all the wait and prior heartbreak. You'll see very soon I hope!

ReputationRep:
    I see a lot of really nice responses here,
    but i feel like they apply to older, more mature people in serious relationships, not horny teenagers. I might be wrong but that's how it seems to me.
    haha yeah, but the whole mature/serious thing AND the horny teenage hormone thing, all rolled into one?! Phwoar!

ReputationRep:
    Well, it would have been, well, babies, some hundreds of years ago.

Nowadays it's more like sex is the main bonus.

Having someone to care about you is also nice, up until the point you realise that a best friend does just the same thing, sans the sex.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand people who 'look for a relationship', it's as if they're more bothered about the status than the actual person. My first relationship sucked because he was needy and clingy and I'm the opposite; I hated it and I was put off relationships for ages. I didn't bother again until I met someone I really liked and I knew there'd be a good chance of it working. When you're with the right person it's absolutely perfect and amazing, but anything less and... it's not worth the hassle for me.

The best bits are having someone to talk **** to, cuddles, sex, dates, presents, love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    your partner is someone you feel immensley close to. much closer than you can feel to a best friend. or at the very least a different type of closeness.
    Very different because usually my penis is not the part of me that gets close to my friends.

thats not to say i'll go out with any old person.
    But older women have so much more experience.

ReputationRep:
    This may seem like a weird question, but I'm curious. I've never been in a relationship, which I'm fine with. But i see so many people here that sound like they are on the verge of suicide, because they've never had a boyfriend or girlfriend. I just want to know, what is so special about being a relationship? I mean is it really that serious? What does someone in a relationship have that a single person doesn't?
    :eek3: wow how has you never had a bf? you're hot!

hold up

are you nigerian?

ReputationRep:
    Weight. I tend to eat more when I'm happy. I only smile with full cheeks.

ReputationRep:
    companionship. Someone who will take your crap and bad moods, and they still like you. its pretty flattering. That being said I can't abide people who can't be single. Ugh get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    I was the same. Didn't understand them, all my friends used to cry and cry and complain, that was before the guys even broke their hearts. But now i'm so glad I waited for a relationship with the right guy. Its the most euphoric feeling and joy and closeness, you can't imagine them not being there, and they are always there when you need them. Of course it's possible to just be together out of habit and just for the sex. I can understand how down/psycho crazy people get when their relationship ends now. Before I had no idea.

Either way, wait, enjoy yourself and one day you'll discover it.

ReputationRep:
    Regular sex with high accountability for performance failure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devotchka_)
    It's soooooo much better than being single!

-Sex on tap
    -Affection on tap
    -There's someone who thinks you ALWAYS look beautiful/handsome
    -Someone to spend time with whenever and tell everything to

It's awesome!
    I'ma go revel in my smug coupledom now
    Ha.
    oh god

no, trust me, there's a difference between them telling you that and it being their true opinion

ReputationRep:
    Good times, intimacy, support, sex, romance?

I agree that people crave them too much though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    oh god

no, trust me, there's a difference between them telling you that and it being their true opinion
    I suppose it depends entirely on who your partner is and how well you know them/how in love you are.

Tbh i've given up on relationships - I just seem to pick the one's who aren't interested in a relationship apart from sex.

I have only ever had one relationship, well that lasted 6months, but all it was was sex on tap :dontknow: and someone telling me what to wear, how to dress and etc :dontknow: - that is how I know it? I don't know any different as haven't had a relationship since then for 5yrs!! :ninjagirl: . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devotchka_)
    I suppose it depends entirely on who your partner is and how well you know them/how in love you are.
    or how neurotic and demanding of attention the female is.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.