Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help! Anyone used/heard of uvolunteer.org?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saab_101)
    There's tonnes of stuff to do. I was only there for 2 weeks and I went up to mole national park (15 hour drive!), lake volta (was only around the corner anyway, although I wasn't teaching down there), kumasi and rainbow lodge at lake bosemtwe. In the summer you only teach from about 9-12, so you have the rest of the day and weekends free. The volunteers have always got trips and stuff organised for the weekends too, so tehre's always something to do :yep:
    How old do you have to be to volunteer as I'd love to see if I could do this for my Gold Residential

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ooo'Yeah)
    How old do you have to be to volunteer as I'd love to see if I could do this for my Gold Residential
    erm can't remember, 17 for ghana I think, but your best bet is the original volunteers website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saab_101)
    erm can't remember, 17 for ghana I think, but your best bet is the original volunteers website.
    Okay thank you

ReputationRep:
    i replied to this thread this morning but it doesnt seem to be here...strange.

anyway i was going to go with original volunteers but have decided to go with avif.org.uk.

you dont pay anything and just pay for your accomodation when you get there so it goes straight to the people/place you are staying. then obviously flights etc too - which are looking to be around 600GBP.

you can go at anytime i think but im going to go on their summer programme which is the whole of august in kenya. you have the safety of knowing that you are going to be with other people but your also given some independence.

go with them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolypopcorn)
    i replied to this thread this morning but it doesnt seem to be here...strange.

anyway i was going to go with original volunteers but have decided to go with avif.org.uk.

you dont pay anything and just pay for your accomodation when you get there so it goes straight to the people/place you are staying. then obviously flights etc too - which are looking to be around 600GBP.

you can go at anytime i think but im going to go on their summer programme which is the whole of august in kenya. you have the safety of knowing that you are going to be with other people but your also given some independence.

go with them!
    sounds exactly the same as original volunteers, except that you can choose the amount of time you stay and you pay a registration fee which lasts the whole year Still, they're all good, jsut go with anyone as long as it's safe!

ReputationRep:
    uVolunteer is legit. I volunteered with them last summer in Costa Rica for 2 months teaching english and working at an orphanage. Their prices aren't as low as original volunteer but air-port pick up, food, and accommodation is all included in their fees. Actually, If you work it out, including the food and pick up, uVolunteer's prices are about the same to original volunteer.

The staff was really great and helpful the entire time I was down there. Each of their countries has a 'representatives' section online where you can even go and look at the coordinators you'll be working with. I couldn't even find anything about original volunteer or how they were started!

anyways, I would suggest emailing them for more information or maybe requesting a past volunteer's email address.
    The reason I choose to volunteer with uvolunteer was because they had youtube videos up with testimonials.

I would definitely recommend uVolunteer's programs. Especially the ones in Costa Rica

ReputationRep:
    I am going to India in November, someone can give me some advice about India, I have to travel all night by train ;-&

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ingrid Canudo)
    I am going to India in November, someone can give me some advice about India, I have to travel all night by train ;-&
    India is a great country to visit for travel. There are lots of things to see and do for any kind of traveller. Most people go to the north (Delhi, Agra, Jaipur etc.) but if you have the time I would recommend going to the south (Kerala, Kanyakumari, Madurai) where it is less ''touristy'' but where there are hidden gems.

In terms of train travel, India has one of the most efficient, cheap public train systems in the world. Indian rail is the second largest employer in the world. The trains are comfortable, relatively safe and by far the most cost effective way of getting around. Plus you get to travel like the locals, who are (generally) very helpful.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.