Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, what would be the best 4 a levels for computer science? and is maths the only one that is essential?

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Physics, Computer Science/Computing + one other of your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Well i do computer science, and trust me - not computer science!! lolll
    well anyway i guess it could help
    you need maths for the good unis and maybe further maths too
    my comp sci teach went to UCL for comp sci with maths chem and physics (i think physics would be the most relevant out of those)

ReputationRep:
    Definitely this;

Travel and Tourism
    Dance
    Btec Sport
    Photography

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jj1234567890123)
    Definitely this;

Travel and Tourism
    Dance
    Btec Sport
    Photography
    thanks (:

ReputationRep:
    computing, maths and physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CKin2U)
    Well i do computer science, and trust me - not computer science!! lolll
    well anyway i guess it could help
    you need maths for the good unis and maybe further maths too
    my comp sci teach went to UCL for comp sci with maths chem and physics (i think physics would be the most relevant out of those)
    thanks alot, im not good enough at maths to do further maths and the school doesnt offer computing or computer sci ,is ICT ok bcos they do applied ict for a levels i think

ReputationRep:
    Maths = most important followed by furthur maths.

Then probably Physics 3rd and then anything 4th because you only need 3 but Chem is good fun.

DON'T DO COMPUTING! The A level syllabus is so terrible it put me off doing computing for the rest of my life.

Source: I was gonna do computer science so spent 100s of hours contacting unis/looking up what courses to do...
    Now doing chemistry at uni instead.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further Maths and Physics I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Maths = most important followed by furthur maths.

Then probably Physics 3rd and then anything 4th because you only need 3 but Chem is good fun.

DON'T DO COMPUTING! The A level syllabus is so terrible it put me off doing computing for the rest of my life.

Source: I was gonna do computer science so spent 100s of hours contacting unis/looking up what courses to do...
    Now doing chemistry at uni instead.
    Me too - I actaully really wanted to do computer science at uni, so mi' glad i took it at a level! At least I know its something il never have to look back at again lol what board do you do? I do OCR

ReputationRep:
    My friend did Maths, Further Maths and Physics, he got offers (for Computer Science/Computer Science and Maths) from Cambridge, Imperial, Southampton, UCL and Edinburgh.

If you're not very good at maths, I'd suggest definitely doing Maths, Physics + whatever you enjoy. Don't do ICT though, it sucks imo (I did it in my first year and dropped after first term) and a lot of good unis don't consider it as a proper subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisrai)
    thanks alot, im not good enough at maths to do further maths and the school doesnt offer computing or computer sci ,is ICT ok bcos they do applied ict for a levels i think
    I guess but if you are choosing your a levels and are sure you want to do computer science, then check out the universities and their entry requirements will tell you what subjects they require/prefer

ReputationRep:
    so if i dont do further maths , will it damage my chances much?

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further Maths and Physics/Computing will put you in good stead.

ReputationRep:
    Do furthur maths to at least AS level, FP1 is easy and it is all really relelvant to computer science.

My college also does D1/S2 with furthur maths AS and D1 is all about algorithms and how to implement them so very helpful for computer science.

Maybe take computing as your 4th subject but be ready to drop it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisrai)
    so if i dont do further maths , will it damage my chances much?

For some unis yes.

Some require it to at least As but all the unis i looked at last year(cambridge/Bristol/ucl/warwick) said that they at least prefered it not required it.

Don't be scared, it's not that hard tbh.

ReputationRep:
    as its a 6th form , they dont offer computing or anything like that :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CKin2U)
    Me too - I actaully really wanted to do computer science at uni, so mi' glad i took it at a level! At least I know its something il never have to look back at again lol what board do you do? I do OCR
    I do AQA and i got a coursework project for 60% of my grade which my teacher thinks it's funnier to play with his laptop all lesson and not offer us any help with at all.

And we have the great news from the exam board that they've changed the rules for coursework this year so if it's not a "very complex" program you can't get above 50% marks in it but they then say they won't know what "very complex" is until they get all the coursework and can compare them all...:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to these *****. Don't do Computing A level. Waste of time. You are taught from scratch in your first year.
    Do: Further Maths and Physics + (another PROPER A level i.e. Chem/Bio/Language/Economics etc.)

If you have the chance to do Further Maths you should bloody well take it. There is a lot of complex mathematics involved with CS and to not take it whren you have the oppurtunity would be massively retarded. I myself, got into Cam without further maths...but that was because I had a last minute change of heart from medicine and hence my A levels weren't suited for CS. You have no excuse not to take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    I do AQA and i got a coursework project for 60% of my grade which my teacher thinks it's funnier to play with his laptop all lesson and not offer us any help with at all.

And we have the great news from the exam board that they've changed the rules for coursework this year so if it's not a "very complex" program you can't get above 50% marks in it but they then say they won't know what "very complex" is until they get all the coursework and can compare them all...:mad:
    Your teacher sounds like an ass

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.