The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
MHorman
I do AQA and i got a coursework project for 60% of my grade which my teacher thinks it's funnier to play with his laptop all lesson and not offer us any help with at all.

And we have the great news from the exam board that they've changed the rules for coursework this year so if it's not a "very complex" program you can't get above 50% marks in it but they then say they won't know what "very complex" is until they get all the coursework and can compare them all...:mad:

Ohh I have that too....its due at the end of March and Ive hardly done much =(
and what thats really bad! For our coursework my teacher has said to keep the program really simple because if we try to do anything complex or difficult it will just waste time/effort and we wont get extra marks for it anyway =S
Goodluck with it =) :yep:
Reply 21
ogloom
Don't listen to these *****. Don't do Computing A level. Waste of time. You are taught from scratch in your first year.
Do: Further Maths and Physics + (another PROPER A level i.e. Chem/Bio/Language/Economics etc.)

If you have the chance to do Further Maths you should bloody well take it. There is a lot of complex mathematics involved with CS and to not take it whren you have the oppurtunity would be massively retarded. I myself, got into Cam without further maths...but that was because I had a last minute change of heart from medicine and hence my A levels weren't suited for CS. You have no excuse not to take it.

i see what your saying here , but i dont fell confident enough taking further maths as all the really clever kids are taking it , and im not regarded as one of them
Reply 22
chrisrai
i see what your saying here , but i dont fell confident enough taking further maths as all the really clever kids are taking it , and im not regarded as one of them

Who cares what you are 'regarded as'. Prove all the nay-sayers wrong.

High risk, high reward. Take the ******* A level.
Reply 23
ogloom
Who cares what you are 'regarded as'. Prove all the nay-sayers wrong.

High risk, high reward. Take the ******* A level.

ok, i will i will

btw...ive been researching in all the careers with computer science

but just wanted to know what you fancy doing when you leave?
Reply 24
id take whatever people say on here with a pinch of salt, they may say do maths further physics and computing, but remember most people on here have like 10A* and stroll through a levels!

if you dont think you are good enough for fm dont do it! its better to do another serious subject get a good grade then do one and struggle! people on here tend to take academic ability as a given :rolleyes:
Reply 25
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry/Econ/something

ICT or Computer Science is not recommended as it is regarded as a "soft" subject by universities. Anyway computing will be taught from the basics at university, so doing it in school will be a waste of time.

Further Maths will surely help you in your computer studies. Doing chemistry or economics as the fourth subject will allow you to switch to another course in case Computer Science doesn't work out.
Reply 26
Maths, maths and more maths :p:
Reply 27
chrisrai
ok, i will i will

btw...ive been researching in all the careers with computer science

but just wanted to know what you fancy doing when you leave?

no idea haha. Maybe open up a beach bar in Hawaii.
Reply 28
I took physics/maths/economics/electronics for computer engineering and I must say all have been useful to me so far (economics slightly less so, but a great subject anyway - also it shows you have ability outside of science).

depending on where you are aiming for F.maths could also be useful, but by no means essential.
maths, further maths, physics and chem/biology/language...
Reply 30
Ftr I took maths, further maths, psychology and computing which was fine, though that was a while ago. None of the unis I applied to (Ox, Bath, Bristol, York, Durham, Nottingham) seemed bothered about anything other than maths. The only thing I'd say computing was useful for was getting me interested in the subject - before A level I was planning on doing a maths degree.
Reply 31
twistme
Ftr I took maths, further maths, psychology and computing which was fine, though that was a while ago. None of the unis I applied to (Ox, Bath, Bristol, York, Durham, Nottingham) seemed bothered about anything other than maths. The only thing I'd say computing was useful for was getting me interested in the subject - before A level I was planning on doing a maths degree.

I see what you are saying about Computing but unfortunately i go to quite a traditional school that doesnt offer subjects like that.
I think it totally depends on what uni you apply to :smile: Most unis just ask for Maths as a requirement. I know Oxbridge only ask for Maths.
I'm currently doing Math, ICT, Economics and Further Maths (AS Only), also did Business Studies AS last year. Before I applied to UCAS I had the same worry as you of not doing any science subjects, but the uni's I applied to seemed fine with it. I don't know if I'll struggle during the course though =/
Btw none of my offers asked for Further Maths :smile:
Reply 33
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing. Oh sorry, you say they don't offer Computing; do Chemistry instead?
Reply 34
chrisrai
I see what you are saying about Computing but unfortunately i go to quite a traditional school that doesnt offer subjects like that.

Well it sounds like you're interested in the subject already :smile:
Reply 35
thanks for the advice
Reply 36
chrisrai
Hey guys, what would be the best 4 a levels for computer science? and is maths the only one that is essential?

As most people have said Maths is a must to get into computer science at the majority of universities. On top of that I would strongly recommend doing further maths, as this really will not only make you a stronger applicant but also really help you get to grips with some of the material.

Asides from those the sciences are good, as others have said physics would be a good logical choice.

As for computing, its not essential, lots of places don't offer it as a course, so most universities (if not all) will start under the assumption that you've not done a-level computing. If you know before hand that you want to do computer science and your school offers it as an option it might be worth doing. Some of the material taught is relevant, but remembering back to when I did it the coursework assignments can be tedious to say the least. So its down to personal choice really.
Reply 37
Can someone tell me the difference between Computing and Computer Science A level. Also is doing Maths, Further Maths, Computing and Chemistry good A levels.
Reply 38
I also want to do computer science at uni so for my A Level options, I've chosen Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and A2 Computing (I took AS Computing in year 11). This means that I'll have already completed Computing before applying to university.

Latest