Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was just wondering what consulting was like at firms such as IBM, Fujitsu etc? I see they actually do strategy consulting as well..

Also, what are the internal consulting posts like? Such as Business Strategy Consultant for the company itself? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    IBM is not a respectable firm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    In terms of consulting when compared with McKinsey, Bain & Company and BCG, I don't believe so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    My thoughts exactly...

ReputationRep:
    It should be fine, as long as you are not static for too long.. i.e. have to aim to move to the higher tier firms in the shortest time possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpha2010)
    It should be fine, as long as you are not static for too long.. i.e. have to aim to move to the higher tier firms in the shortest time possible.
    Yeah, will bigger consulting firms not mind about working at one of these companies? Will it be a positive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entrepreneur_NO1)
    Yeah, will bigger consulting firms not mind about working at one of these companies? Will it be a positive?
    everyone has to start somewhere, as long as you can prove yourself in the interview process - you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    He said less?

ReputationRep:
    He said less?
    Yes, at least his thread name implies this.

Why do people want to go to McKinsey, BCG ,...?

The average time in consulting is 2-4 years, most consultants go into middle-management positions after that. Only a very few number stays into consulting and aims for the partner level.

Inhouse consulting gives you exactly the same opportunity only with the limitation that when you start inhouse consulting at e.g. IBM you will almost certainly go into a management position at IBM. With McKinsey you have a wider range where to go (even different industries while at IBM you are quite focused).

So if you compare the IBM inhouse consultant with the McKinsey consultant who wants to go to IBM they will likely end up in similar positions but the McKinsey guy will have much more choices between different companies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by /Paranoia\)
    Yes, at least his thread name implies this.

Why do people want to go to McKinsey, BCG ,...?

The average time in consulting is 2-4 years, most consultants go into middle-management positions after that. Only a very few number stays into consulting and aims for the partner level.

Inhouse consulting gives you exactly the same opportunity only with the limitation that when you start inhouse consulting at e.g. IBM you will almost certainly go into a management position at IBM. With McKinsey you have a wider range where to go (even different industries while at IBM you are quite focused).

So if you compare the IBM inhouse consultant with the McKinsey consultant who wants to go to IBM they will likely end up in similar positions but the McKinsey guy will have much more choices between different companies.
    I think you pretty much answered your own question there... However, in addition to this, the mere prestige of M/B/B is something people strive toward.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.