Best Bioware game ever???? Watch

londonlawguy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I was sat playing Dragon Age this evening, after watching my housemate play Mass Effect, and was thinking to myself how amazing Bioware's games are, when I suddenly thought - which game deserves the crown as greatest Bioware game of all time.

A tough question I know, a bit like asking which Killers album is the best, or whether a Cadbury Caramel is better than a Crunchie. So a perfect subject for a TSR thread.

My money is on Knights of the Old Republic - great story line + decent graphics + lightsabers + force choking people during conversations + flying your own millenium falcon type ship = perfection!!!

Suggestions people??
Dalimyr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Having yet to get around to buying and playing Mass Effect 2, I can't comment on it. Dragon Age: Origins and Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn are both among my favourite games of all time, though (and with the mention of BG2 you know I don't give a damn about graphics :p:). The stories are amazing, and the attention to detail (particularly in Dragon Age) is phenomenal. The one thing that BioWare understand brilliantly is that it isn't just enough to create a world and make up a story to go with it, but they put a lot of effort into creating lore for the world they're creating, and allow you to read up on that. It helps to add to the atmosphere.
66_crush
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Knights of the old republic.
Carth gets me hot.
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
*Googles*

I haven't actually played any of their games...

I had/have a demo of MDK though. :awesome:
choongsta
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I really enjoyed Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and KOTOR... but those were probably the only Bioware games I've ever played
estel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Mass Effect 2 is the most different Bioware game ever. It is interesting... :holmes:
ibysaiyan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Dao
SteveeRoo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
KOTR or Mass Effect simples
tigermoth99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Kotor
NW86
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I honestly can't believe this up for discussion. The Baldur's Gate Series wholly re-invented the dying RPG Genre back in 1998. The amount of depth across the games, the character development and story, and interaction with NPC's was still far greater and allowed for more depth than Mass Effect or KOTOR does. Having owned every release that bioware has made for that past 12 years I can honestly say that i think Baldurs gate (particularly Shadows of Amn) is the best Bioware game by an incredibly long distance
Pheonixx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by londonlawguy)

A tough question I know, a bit like asking which Killers album is best?

That is not a tough question for the majority of fans....

I've liked mass effect the most.
Don John
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was sat playing Dragon Age this evening, after watching my housemate play Mass Effect, and was thinking to myself how amazing Bioware's games are, when I suddenly thought - which game deserves the crown as greatest Bioware game of all time.

A tough question I know, a bit like asking which Killers album is the best, or whether a Cadbury Caramel is better than a Crunchie. So a perfect subject for a TSR thread.

My money is on Knights of the Old Republic - great story line + decent graphics + lightsabers + force choking people during conversations + flying your own millenium falcon type ship = perfection!!!

Suggestions people??
I agree with you there, kotor ftw!
numb3rb0y
Badges: 3
Report 8 years ago
Honestly I think Dragon Age is their best game yet. Not being hampered by D&D licencing allowed them to be much more creative with the setting and plot, I love that there are so many opportunities to substantially alter the storyline, and they simultaneously managed to simply character creation while allowing much more customisation than past games. I'd like Mass Effect more if it weren't for the god-awful inventory system, but apparently that's being solved in the sequel, so that might even top DA:O.

I will always have a special place in my heart for NWN, though. I must've spent years playing it, and for some reason I especially loved HotU. I know Baldur's Gate & co. are awesome, but damnit I like graphics, and apart from PS:T the Infinity Engine just wasn't good at that.
londonlawguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pheonixx)
That is not a tough question for the majority of fans....

I've liked mass effect the most.

Well, I swing between Sams Town and Hot Fuss - not so keen on Day and Age though.
Chris91S
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by NW86)
I honestly can't believe this up for discussion. The Baldur's Gate Series wholly re-invented the dying RPG Genre back in 1998. The amount of depth across the games, the character development and story, and interaction with NPC's was still far greater and allowed for more depth than Mass Effect or KOTOR does. Having owned every release that bioware has made for that past 12 years I can honestly say that i think Baldurs gate (particularly Shadows of Amn) is the best Bioware game by an incredibly long distance
This

Anyone who doesn't say BG II clearly hasn't played BG II
NW86
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Chris91S)
This

Anyone who doesn't say BG II clearly hasn't played BG II
I'm in 100% agreement, the only understanding I can think for someone not saying BG 2 is not having played. Character interaction, story depth, character customisation, amount of side quests, attention to minor details are all superior to even later games such as mass effect. That's not to say I don't love mass effect, it's just not the same as BG 2, which you genuinely get the impression was a true labour of love.
Pheonixx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well, I swing between Sams Town and Hot Fuss - not so keen on Day and Age though.
Same, you the first person except for myself I've come across that likes Sams Town in general and not just one or two songs from it.
Caze
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would say DA:O but I actually just stopped playing it halfway through and got kind of bored. Up until that point, though, I was ready to say it was a good culmination of all Bioware's skills in RPGs. So instead it's still KOTOR. I never really liked Mass Effect and I haven't played Mass Effect 2.

Neverwinter Nights rides up very close behind KOTOR though, many childhood memories from that :')
Kurzyk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Neverwinter Nights. It was just, still is, the best game I ever played. Seriously. Whenever my computer doesn't refuse to let me have fun, I play it whenever I can. Awe-so-me.
londonlawguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pheonixx)
Same, you the first person except for myself I've come across that likes Sams Town in general and not just one or two songs from it.
I think it's an absolutely epic album. So many good songs - bling (confessions of a king) is amazing, as is my list. I even love the interlude and exitlude!

I think the songs from that album are the best when performed live as well, although 'all these things we have done' is pretty amazing live too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (181)
27.38%
No (480)
72.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed