Turn on thread page Beta

Bon Iver, Dallas Green; similar artists you can recommend? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So, I apologise if this has been discussed already but I am really into Bon Iver, Dallas Green, Laura Marling etc. The folky, acoustic, easy listening sound for chilling out/working to. I also sing and love singing to Laura Marling, Eva Cassidy, Ellie Goulding and Paramore's acoustic tracks so anything similar to those would be great too!

I know some would say these artists are melancholy and mellow but I love relaxing to them. I listen to all kinds of music but would love to know of any other bands/artists that are similar to these so I can add them to my playlist and expand my folk/acoustic knowledge.

Thanks in advance!!
    :music:

ReputationRep:
    band of horses.

ReputationRep:
    James Yuill, Thomas Dybdahl, Mumford & Sons, Fleet Foxes, Joanna Newsom, err.. yeah, that's all that springs to mind. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    Hey,

So, I apologise if this has been discussed already but I am really into Bon Iver, Dallas Green, Laura Marling etc. The folky, acoustic, easy listening sound for chilling out/working to. I also sing and love singing to Laura Marling, Eva Cassidy, Ellie Goulding and Paramore's acoustic tracks so anything similar to those would be great too!

I know some would say these artists are melancholy and mellow but I love relaxing to them. I listen to all kinds of music but would love to know of any other bands/artists that are similar to these so I can add them to my playlist and expand my folk/acoustic knowledge.

Thanks in advance!!
    :music:
    Frank Turner. I think you'll love him.

Here be link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDbjkaokPP8

ALternatively:

http://www.last.fm/
    Type in the artist you wish to find. Then press search and when it finishes, click the artist result you've chosen and then on the left there's a column with various info about the artist. Click the 'similar artists' link and it will show you bands/artists of that genre.

ReputationRep:
    lykke li

ReputationRep:
    Laura Marling is a true goddess. I recommend:

Elliott Smith
    Damien Rice
    Emmy the Great
    Bob Dylan
    Jeff Buckley (particularly Satisfied Mind, I Know It's Over, The Boy With The Thorn in His Side, Lilac Wine, Hallelujah)
    Bright Eyes
    Francois Virot
    Lupen Crook
    Peter Doherty's demos and stuff (wouldn't know about the official album release as I'd gone wayyyyyy off him by that point)
    The Innocence Mission
    The Middle East (almost impossible to find though)
    The La's perhaps
    Radiohead also have beautiful acoustics (Street Spirit, True Love Waits, Bullet Proof... Wish I Was, etc.)

Hate hate hate hate the notion of calling any of these "easy listening" though. IMO "easy listening" is a euphemism for "I don't actually like music and just put it on because I like silence even less" but that's the music snob in me coming out. Soz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)

Hate hate hate hate the notion of calling any of these "easy listening" though. IMO "easy listening" is a euphemism for "I don't actually like music and just put it on because I like silence even less" but that's the music snob in me coming out. Soz.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Easy Listening is music I'd class as great to have on in the background whilst doing something else. I can listen to the artists I mentioned without actually being distracted by them. That's not to say I don't like listening to them because I do listen to them at other times when I can actually take in the music and listen properly. Easy Listening to me, is music that floats along without heavy beats or overpowering guitar riffs etc. I recently wrote an article for the online music journal I write for on what I consider Easy Listening. It's ok, everyone's allowed their own opinions and to be a music snob occasionally! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)

Here be link.

ALternatively:

http://www.last.fm/
    Type in the artist you wish to find. Then press search and when it finishes, click the artist result you've chosen and then on the left there's a column with various info about the artist. Click the 'similar artists' link and it will show you bands/artists of that genre.
    Thanks, I love Frank Turner already but I find some of his songs a little too up-tempo for easy listening.

I have tried Last FM but it always seems to bring up random and odd artists. Although, I did find Marina & The Diamonds on there and I now love her!

Thankyou for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Regina Spektor - some of the following tracks by her are my fav

Samson
    Us
    Fidelity

I think you'll really really like her, beautiful voice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyyy)
    James Yuill, Thomas Dybdahl, Mumford & Sons, Fleet Foxes, Joanna Newsom, err.. yeah, that's all that springs to mind. :erm:
    Thomas Dybdahl is a god, iTunes don't have enough of his stuff, but thankfully Amazon does A Love Story is one of the nicest songs ever.

Alexi Murdoch, John Martyn, Bright Eyes, Charlie Winston, The Cinematic Orchestra, Wilco, Beirut, Whip, Fink (definitely the best of this particular bunch), Willy Mason, Dave Matthews, Foy Vance, Iron & Wine, Jamie Woon, Josh Rouse, Joshua Radin, Joshua Michael Robins, Luke Pickett, Martha Tilston, Matthew Ryan, Chris T-T, The Tailors, Kings of Convenience, Chuck Ragan, David Kitt, Bowerbirds, The National Bank, Mirah, Laura Marling, Mumford and Sons, Neverending White Lights, The Postal Service, Oren Lavie, Sigur Ros, Emily Barker and the Red Clay Halo, Ben Marwood.

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woolcott)
    Thomas Dybdahl is a god, iTunes don't have enough of his stuff, but thankfully Amazon does A Love Story is one of the nicest songs ever.

Alexi Murdoch, John Martyn, Bright Eyes, Charlie Winston, The Cinematic Orchestra, Wilco, Beirut, Whip, Fink (definitely the best of this particular bunch), Willy Mason, Dave Matthews, Foy Vance, Iron & Wine, Jamie Woon, Josh Rouse, Joshua Radin, Joshua Michael Robins, Luke Pickett, Martha Tilston, Matthew Ryan, Chris T-T, The Tailors, Kings of Convenience, Chuck Ragan, David Kitt, Bowerbirds, The National Bank, Mirah, Laura Marling, Mumford and Sons, Neverending White Lights, The Postal Service, Oren Lavie, Sigur Ros, Emily Barker and the Red Clay Halo, Ben Marwood.

:cool:
    Thankyou! Thats a great list to get my teeth (or more accurately, ears!) into!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really class Bon Iver as "easy listening" in the same way that, say, Mike Flowers Pops is. Interpreting what you mean as asking for some lo fi roots folk music, which judging by the posts above most people would, then I heartily recommend:

The Felice Brothers
    The Watson Twins
    Jackie Leven (Closest thing the UK has to Jonny Cash)
    Stephen Fretwell
    King Creosote

and also The Smiths

ReputationRep:
    Some good recommendations here. Norah Jones' worth a look.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou! Thats a great list to get my teeth (or more accurately, ears!) into!
    To be honest I just looked at my top 25 most played artists on iTunes and went with that haha. :p:

Whilst I remember, Sondre Lerche and Teitur are brilliant and really easy to listen to, but hard to find

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)

Here be link.

I'm in the video for The Road :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woolcott)
    I'm in the video for The Road :woo:

SO jealous.

OP, have you heard Emmy the Great? She'd probably be right up your street.

ReputationRep:
    Bright Eyes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pigwigeon)
    SO jealous.

OP, have you heard Emmy the Great? She'd probably be right up your street.
    No, I haven't! I'll have a look, though! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions. Easy Listening is music I'd class as great to have on in the background whilst doing something else. I can listen to the artists I mentioned without actually being distracted by them. That's not to say I don't like listening to them because I do listen to them at other times when I can actually take in the music and listen properly. Easy Listening to me, is music that floats along without heavy beats or overpowering guitar riffs etc. I recently wrote an article for the online music journal I write for on what I consider Easy Listening. It's ok, everyone's allowed their own opinions and to be a music snob occasionally! :yep:
    Yeah it's just the actual phrase I hate more than anything. Not rational in the slightest

ReputationRep:
    Mojave 3 (spoon and rafter album), kevine devine, caribou, fleet foxes, decemberists (castaways and cutouts is the first album you'd want to listen to, then either picaresque or crane wife).

good luck!

heres a fave mojave 3 song of mine, its called bill oddity. the second video is called bluebird of happiness. it reallyl is probably the most chilled out song i've listened to ever

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.