Turn on thread page Beta

Reasons for Visiting Concentration Camp watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been given the opportunity by my school to visit Auschwitz with an external group. As only 2 places are available we havehad to write 1/2 a page on why we would like to go. Below is my effort, if anyone could give me any additional ideas or spot any mistakes it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You.

Why I would Appreciate the Opportunity to Visit Auschwitz

“Auschwitz is a collection of Concentration camps in Poland. It was the largest network of camps under the Nazi regime. Official figure put the number killed at over 1 million.” Although this extract from a textbook give you information about Auschwitz it doesn’t drive home how poor the condition were and how much those who were held there had to suffer. I believe that you can read as much as you want about the horrors of the holocaust but without actually visiting these places you would not truly grasp the full extent of the inhumane suffering these unfortunate people went through.
    I think the main reason the trip to Auschwitz would better me as a person would be that it would make me appreciate all the small things I have in life. It would also allow me to be thankful that we have measures in place today to stop this kind of atrocity from ever happening again. I think it is important that as many people as possible from my generation visit places like Auschwitz to learn about the past and to pass on their knowledge to further generations to ensure that what happened there is never forgotten or repeated. I have also heard that parts of the camps are beginning to fall down and I think that to get the most out of the visit it would help to see it in as much of its original state as possible.
    The group offering the trip also provides a survivor from Auschwitz who gives a speech. I think that this part of the trip would also be very enriching because it would allow me to gain an insight into how the detainees of Auschwitz felt and how they managed to keep hope even though they were faced with the possibility of death every day.
    On the point of education I feel that visiting Auschwitz would give me a greater understanding of the events of that time and would broaden my views on how the events of that period helped shape the world as it is today. I have always been interested in the events of World War 2 and although the trip would be quite a harrowing experience I know that it could only impact me in a positive way and enrich my development as a person.

ReputationRep:
    To never forget!

ReputationRep:
    For the lulz...

I double dare you with a cherry on top to write that. My friend in year 10 history did that (many a blue moon ago now)... dentention for a week and banned from school trips for a year. Kids can be so insensitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    For the lulz...

I double dare you with a cherry on top to write that. My friend in year 10 history did that (many a blue moon ago now)... dentention for a week and banned from school trips for a year. Kids can be so insensitive.
    As much as i'm up for a laugh. I actually want to go so probably wont be doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alphanumeric1927)
    I have been given the opportunity by my school to visit Auschwitz with an external group. As only 2 places are available we havehad to write 1/2 a page on why we would like to go. Below is my effort, if anyone could give me any additional ideas or spot any mistakes it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You.

“Auschwitz is a collection of Concentration camps in Poland. It was the largest network of camps under the Nazi regime. Official figure(s) put the number killed at over 1 million.” Although this extract from a textbook give(s) you information about Auschwitz it doesn’t drive home how poor the condition(s) were and how much those who were held there had to suffer. I believe that you can read as much as you want about the horrors of the (H)holocaust but without actually visiting these places you would not truly grasp the full extent of the inhumane suffering these unfortunate people went through.
    I think the main reason the trip to Auschwitz would better me as a person would be that it would make me appreciate all the small things I have in life. It would also allow me to be thankful that we have measures in place today to stop this kind of atrocity from ever happening again. I think it is important that as many people as possible from my generation visit places like Auschwitz to learn about the past and to pass on their knowledge to further generations to ensure that what happened there is never forgotten or repeated. I have also heard that parts of the camps are beginning to fall down and I think that to get the most out of the visit it would help to see it in as much of its original state as possible.
    The group offering the trip also provides (don't you think 'provide' makes them sound like an added extra on a package holiday? Perhaps word it a little differently like: "During this trip, there will also be the amazing opportunity to hear from a survivor of Auschwitz"... or something similar?) a survivor from Auschwitz who gives a speech. I think that this part of the trip would also be very enriching because it would allow me to gain an insight into how the detainees of Auschwitz felt and how they managed to keep hope even though they were faced with the possibility of death every day.
    On the point of education, I feel that visiting Auschwitz would give me a greater understanding of the events of that time and would broaden my views on how the events of that period helped shape the world as it is today. I have always been interested in the events of World War 2 and although the trip would be quite a harrowing experience I know that it could only impact me in a positive way and enrich my development as a person.
    It's a good answer as to why you want to go there. I would word some things differently but for the purpose of the experience you want to gain, it's fine. I hope you get to go, you sound interested and enthusiastic. You mention most of the points I think whoever judges it would like and expect to hear. Hope this helps! All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    It's a good answer as to why you want to go there. I would word some things differently but for the purpose of the experience you want to gain, it's fine. I hope you get to go, you sound interested and enthusiastic. You mention most of the points I think whoever judges it would like and expect to hear. Hope this helps! All the best!
    Thanks for the help. Ill change that bit.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help. Ill change that bit.
    You're welcome :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I went on this trip (with Lessons From Auschwitz or something) I didn't have to write an essay for my place but I would've included how I am planning on going to uni to do history..don't know if you're intesrested in that though..

Talk about personal reasons behind you wanting to go too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexuali)
    I went on this trip (with Lessons From Auschwitz or something) I didn't have to write an essay for my place but I would've included how I am planning on going to uni to do history..don't know if you're intesrested in that though..

Talk about personal reasons behind you wanting to go too.
    Been thinking about the uni bit, but cant put into words how it would help a law degree. I know what i'm trying to say just cant get it dow. Any ideas?
    BTW thanks for the help. ;-)

ReputationRep:
    LFA, yeah? I did this too. Had to write a piece on the reason it is important to remember the holocaust. Sorr, it's handwritten and I've lost it or I'd send it as an example! What you've written seems good, althogh some of the wording is a bit clumsy... If that makes sense. It's all right - but, no offence, it seems like a response that would be very similar to others'. Try and make it a bit more personal. Elaborate the language a little. Show some deep, original thought on the idea. You don't need facts and figures - just a heartfealt response. Good luck - it was a phenomenal experience. Pm me if you want any help redrafting etc.

ReputationRep:
    Someone has already corrected the mistakes I think...

so I hope you get to go :-) good luck.
    I went there with my school in grade 11, was a very saddening but significant experience, I think everyone should go once.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh also, you could maybe stress the importance of people as people in history. The project was really big on talking about the lives of individual people behind the classic 6million tag.

ReputationRep:
    No birds call and you hear no one laughing. A very moving and visit once experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fear Nothing)
    No birds call and you hear no one laughing. A very moving and visit one experience.
    This. It's terribly silent.

People should go, everyone should know what it's like.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to go, it would be horrifying and fascinating at the same time. Some people in my year at a school trip went to one in germany and they said you could cut the atmosphere with a knife.

ReputationRep:
    Write about how you're a holocaust denier and how you could be swayed by seeing Auswitz for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    How grim.

I went to the Holocaust museum in Jerusalem, with Yad Vashem, they have lots of relics and stuff from Auschwitz and other camps (beds you can touch, shoes, clothes, dolls taken from kids etc..) and it's horrible.

Anyway yeah, your page sounds okay, if not a bit generic (ie, everyone will write that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    I'd love to go, it would be horrifying and fascinating at the same time. Some people in my year at a school trip went to one in germany and they said you could cut the atmosphere with a knife.
    That makes sense my dear.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

“Auschwitz is a collection of Concentration camps in Poland. It was the largest network of camps under the Nazi regime. Official figure put the number killed at over 1 million.” Although this extract from a textbook give you information about Auschwitz it doesn’t drive home how poor the condition were and how much those who were held there had to suffer. I believe that you can read as much as you want about the horrors of the holocaust but without actually visiting these places you would not truly grasp the full extent of the inhumane suffering these unfortunate people went through.
    The group offering the trip also provides a survivor from Auschwitz who gives a speech. I think that this part of the trip would also be very enriching because it would allow me to gain an insight into how the detainees of Auschwitz felt and how they managed to keep hope even though they were faced with the possibility of death every day.
    On the point of education I feel that visiting Auschwitz would give me a greater understanding of the events of that time and would broaden my views on how the events of that period helped shape the world as it is today. I have always been interested in the events of World War 2 and although the trip would be quite a harrowing experience I know that it could only impact me in a positive way and enrich my development as a person.
    When I did this, I had to do the same thing and write an essay as to why I should go. The problem is, I think you're actually treating this too much as an academic essay rather than why you actually want to go, what you think you will get out of it, what you expect etc. In other words, put your feelings into it, whatever they might be. People who read it will understand that you will get a lot more out of it, and things you wouldn't otherwise get, if you're motivated strongly by feelings as opposed to academia. What you've written is good, but it could be so much better :p:

ReputationRep:
    I went on a trip with school in Year 9 to the WWI Battlefields, and then I went on a tour of Poland with my family in 2008, and Auschwitz was one of the places to visit.

No words can describe what's like. If you get to go, you'll know what I mean.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.