The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

samba
That makes sense my dear.

Are you taking the mick? If so, what is your problem?!
I have family who were killed in concentration camps, my paternal grandmother narrowly escaped Czechoslovakia with her mother, her sister (my great aunt) and her father (my great grandfather) left at an earlier date.

They all went to Palestine (where my great grandparents lived until their deaths in the early 90's), however on the way there my grandmother and her mother stopped and had to change in one of the big towns in Austria. They waited in a cafe surrounded by people with Nazi Swastika armbands.

Can you even begin to imagine how that must have been?

Anyway they got out fine (obviously) and last year I visited the Holocaust exhibition at the Imperial War Museum. I suggest everyone and anyone goes if they can, it's worth a look.
ParadigmShift
This. It's terribly silent.

People should go, everyone should know what it's like.

Yes, this
It's very hard not to come up with a generic answer as to why you want to go. But do mention its close proximity to Krakow, one of Europe's top destinations for culture and nightlife at low cost.
Reply 24
h82think
To never forget!

That line always seems kind of hollow. People always talk about "never forgetting the holocaust" and completely miss the point that the reason we should never forget the holocaust is to stop it happening again.
Reply 25
ttx
That line always seems kind of hollow. People always talk about "never forgetting the holocaust" and completely miss the point that the reason we should never forget the holocaust is to stop it happening again.

I didn't mean to never forget how to do it :p:
I went there couple of years ago and it was very special experience. However some kinds can be insenstivie... therefore, think twice before you make a comment or start to laugh about it, especially there !
Reply 27
I've visited 3 concentration camps so far: Auschwitz and Birkenau in Poland (extermination mostly) and Breendonck in Belgium (more about pure torture).

It's a life changing experience; you don't go there and come back as the same person. Each one of these visits gave me new found respect for life and humanity. So it's overwhelmingly saddening, seeing how and where people were being put through agony, but so worth it if you have the opportunity to visit. I think more pupils should be visiting concentration camps. It's a fundamental part of our history, and a major reality check.

Latest

Trending

Trending