Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
If I can get the following in GCSE:

Maths: A*
Science: A*
IT: A*
English lit: B
English lang: B

(Reason for not many GCSEs is because I'm doing them all in one year due to living abroad, would LSE understand this and make an exception?)

And I take the following A-levels: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, English Literature and Physics.

Do I stand a chance? I have tried searching but cant find a lot of info about extra curricular things that makes a big difference, what could I do?

Thanks!
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You seem to have a huge problem here: you want to get into LSE, not into a course (at LSE). This is generally the wrong way of going about university applications.

And yes, you do "stand a chance" to answer your question (for any course at LSE). I don't know if they'll make an exception regarding your GCSEs (what does living abroad have to do with anything?). Extra-curriculars don't matter too much, just have some.
danny111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
is the science a double award? and i guess english is not your first language.

if yes to both, then yes i think doing 4A* and 2Bs in 1 year adds up to 8* and 4Bs in 2 so they should take it into account. personally i did mine in a year and like rest of year 10, and i think it gave me some bonus (not sure though).

you also plan to do very good a-levels (in my opinion).
kevin_123
(Original post by Swayum)
You seem to have a huge problem here: you want to get into LSE, not into a course (at LSE). This is generally the wrong way of going about university applications.

And yes, you do "stand a chance" to answer your question (for any course at LSE). I don't know if they'll make an exception regarding your GCSEs (what does living abroad have to do with anything?). Extra-curriculars don't matter too much, just have some.
What does living abroad have to do with anything? Well, just the mere fact that as I wasn't living in England for the first year (GCSEs are taken over a two year period remember?) So just as an example with Science, in June when everyone does "module 6" exam, I will be doing module 6 as well, along with Module 1, 2 and 3.. so that's a year of science i'm teaching my self to then have the whole of year 10s exam on that day. Still it's only single science and I'm getting A/A* in practice exams so a little bit more revision and I should have it "perfected"

Oh and I was tired and forgot to mention that it's Economics I want to do, which happens to be the most competitive.. :rolleyes: It's not that I ONLY want to get into LSE, I want to do Economics but LSE would be my "dream university" as to speak so I just want to do everything I can as early as possible.

And sorry if I sound a bir rude, I don't mean to :p:

(Original post by danny111)
is the science a double award? and i guess english is not your first language.

if yes to both, then yes i think doing 4A* and 2Bs in 1 year adds up to 8* and 4Bs in 2 so they should take it into account. personally i did mine in a year and like rest of year 10, and i think it gave me some bonus (not sure though).

you also plan to do very good a-levels (in my opinion).
No unfortunately the science isn't a double award, also, now that I think about it those GCSEs are a little big optimistic, all the A* are on the borderline to being As... on the other hand though I might be able to achieve an A in English which I think would make a big difference, especially since Maths, English, Science are the "main" subjects.

And yes I chose those A levels as I thought it was the strongest combination I could make whithout sacrificing too much "enjoyability" which actually worked out pretty good
Zottula
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Swayum)
This is a very good point.
kevin_123
(Original post by Zottula)
This is a very good point.
What do you mean though? I said I wanted to do Economics (forgot to put in original post due to being tired).. is there something wrong with having a "Dream University"?
Zottula
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kevin_123)
What do you mean though? I said I wanted to do Economics (forgot to put in original post due to being tired).. is there something wrong with having a "Dream University"?
Have you visited the economics department there?
kevin_123
Have you visited the economics department there?
nope
angelmxxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(To sound hilariously old...)

When I did my gcses, we didn't have modules, we were examined on EVERYTHING at the end of 2 years.

People who've done their gcses/a levels in really modular ways (ie autumn term learning examined in january; spring term learning examined in june) are going to have a shock with uni end of year exams, I'm guessing.
jonjon123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Let me guess... Investment Banking?

Be honest.
Zottula
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
nope
Ok. My advice would be to visit economic departments at loads of different universities.
You've got a chance at LSE, but that doesn't mean it's the best place for you. You might find you like somewhere else better.
kevin_123
(Original post by angelmxxx)
(To sound hilariously old...)

When I did my gcses, we didn't have modules, we were examined on EVERYTHING at the end of 2 years.

People who've done their gcses/a levels in really modular ways (ie autumn term learning examined in january; spring term learning examined in june) are going to have a shock with uni end of year exams, I'm guessing.
Well, some exams are still "end-of-year" like maths and English are (for me anyway).. suppose in some ways it's good and in some ways it's bad. Personally I think it's bad, by having "modular" people don't bother actually learning and understanding things, it's more a case of memorise as much crap as you can, do the test, then forget about it..

(Original post by jonjon123)
Let me guess... Investment Banking?

Be honest.
Either that or an MBA but I havn't really looked into it that much yet..

Ok. My advice would be to visit economic departments at loads of different universities.
You've got a chance at LSE, but that doesn't mean it's the best place for you. You might find you like somewhere else better.
What other places would you recommend? I was thinking of LSE, UCL, York, Manchester, Durham...

And what would visiting economic departments help with, I mean, what would I get out of it? Wouldn't I find the best information on the internet?

(Sorry for grammar/spelling mistakes, i'm tired) :p:
jonjon123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well, some exams are still "end-of-year" like maths and English are (for me anyway).. suppose in some ways it's good and in some ways it's bad. Personally I think it's bad, by having "modular" people don't bother actually learning and understanding things, it's more a case of memorise as much crap as you can, do the test, then forget about it..

What other places would you recommend? I was thinking of LSE, UCL, York, Manchester, Durham...

And what would visiting economic departments help with, I mean, what would I get out of it? Wouldn't I find the best information on the internet?

Ok if you want to go to investment banking or MBA than investment banking as an associate than I suggest these universities:

1. LSE - London, easier to network, lots of societies.
2. Oxford/Cambridge - Reputation
3. Warwick/UCL - Ok, good economics department
4. Bristol - Its also good
5. Nottingham/Bath - They both offer one-year placements and have had people go to investment banking middle office and few in front office.

Don't know about Durham because their strongest department is history but not economics. This means that a history students will be more likely to receive an offer because a few people come from non finance backgrounds and the employee will most likely know Durham’s reputation for history.

01 LSE
02 Oxford, Cambridge
[big gap]
05 Warwick
06 UCL
[huge, huge gap]
08 Bristol
09 Nottingham
10 Bath
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=351393

Take out imperial and KCL because you want to do economics. There you have it the recommendations that I gave you.
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

warwick is good, you could try cambridge, i dont recommend oxford they dont even have a proper econ course.

i disagree. most econ departments are boring. LSE's is just 2 floors in one building.

it would be more beneficial to see the uni as a whole since you are most likely not gonna spend your time at the departments offices. more likely halls and library.
kevin_123
warwick is good, you could try cambridge, i dont recommend oxford they dont even have a proper econ course.

i disagree. most econ departments are boring. LSE's is just 2 floors in one building.

it would be more beneficial to see the uni as a whole since you are most likely not gonna spend your time at the departments offices. more likely halls and library.
Cambridhe would be awesome but isn't it impossible to get in? If I got AAB would that be enough? Don't they need like A*AA?? To be honest I really don't know how A level is going to go, I know I'm gonna work really hard but I don't know if I'm gonna find it hard or easy..
jonjon123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cambridhe would be awesome but isn't it impossible to get in? If I got AAB would that be enough? Don't they need like A*AA?? To be honest I really don't know how A level is going to go, I know I'm gonna work really hard but I don't know if I'm gonna find it hard or easy..
Lse want's AAA.
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
don worry. get your GCSEs first. Then see how you do in AS.

your 1.5 years away from applying, chill out.
Anonymous0155
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jonjon123)
Ok if you want to go to investment banking or MBA than investment banking as an associate than I suggest these universities:

1. LSE - London, easier to network, lots of societies.
2. Oxford/Cambridge - Reputation
3. Warwick/UCL - Ok, good economics department
4. Bristol - Its also good
5. Nottingham/Bath - They both offer one-year placements and have had people go to investment banking middle office and few in front office.

Don't know about Durham because their strongest department is history but not economics. This means that a history students will be more likely to receive an offer because a few people come from non finance backgrounds and the employee will most likely know Durham’s reputation for history.

01 LSE
02 Oxford, Cambridge
[big gap]
05 Warwick
06 UCL
[huge, huge gap]
08 Bristol
09 Nottingham
10 Bath
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=351393

Take out imperial and KCL because you want to do economics. There you have it the recommendations that I gave you.

BTW that list is from a study in 2006. Not to date so take take it too seriously but the uni's are give or take in the same.
Zottula
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I guess you're probably right there. I do think it is important to visit the departments, but the library and halls are essential visits too.
jonjon123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous0155)
BTW that list is from a study in 2006. Not to date so take take it too seriously but the uni's are give or take in the same.
But after speaking to couple of people they seem to agree. Why, what would of been your top 5?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (866)
80.11%
Leave (215)
19.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed