Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in Year 11 and have to fill in an application form for my local 6th form by the 5th of February (next Friday), so I don't have long to choose my subjects. I'm currently thinking of:

• Mathematics (Edexcel)
    • History (Edexcel)
    • Information Technology (Edexcel)
    • Psychology (AQA(A))/Economics (AQA)/Business Studies (AQA)/Government and Politics (Edexcel)/English (Literature or Language (AQA Syllabus A and B respectively))/Law (AQA)/Media Studies (OCR)

As you can probably tell from my list, I'm pretty much undecided at the moment. Please note, also, that Mathematics, History and Information Technology aren't set in stone; I'm still open to suggestion with those too.

I don't want to sound like a slacker, but I would like to know from any of you with personal experience how hard any of these courses are. They are all A2's btw.

Thank you in advance!

Yooth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yooth)
    I'm currently in Year 11 and have to fill in an application form for my local 6th form by the 5th of February (next Friday), so I don't have long to choose my subjects. I'm currently thinking of:

• Mathematics (Edexcel)
    • History (Edexcel)
    • Information Technology (Edexcel)
    • Psychology (AQA(A))/Economics (AQA)/Business Studies (AQA)/Government and Politics (Edexcel)/English (Literature or Language (AQA Syllabus A and B respectively))/Law (AQA)/Media Studies (OCR)

As you can probably tell from my list, I'm pretty much undecided at the moment. Please note, also, that Mathematics, History and Information Technology aren't set in stone; I'm still open to suggestion with those too.

I don't want to sound like a slacker, but I would like to know from any of you with personal experience how hard any of these courses are. They are all A2's btw.

Thank you in advance!

Yooth.
    Okay, before we start, what GCSEs are you thinking of getting and do you have any hopes for the future? oxbridge.. any idea what sort of uni course perhaps?

If you're really not sure it is best to take a variety that keeps your options open.

ReputationRep:
    Do Maths, History, IT and Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    What are you planning to do in uni? And why are they all A2 or am I missing sth here?

Anyway, Maths + History (because you seem pretty sure about these two and they are actually very good subjects), + any two out of Psychology/Economics/English Lit depend on what you want to do in uni.

Don't do IT imo, don't do Business either if your school already offers Economics. All Law, Gov and Politics, Media are regarded as very "soft" subjects as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    What are you thinking of studying at university? Or, if you don't want to go to university, what sort of job do you have in mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy12691)
    What are you planning to do in uni? And why are they all A2 or am I missing sth here?

Anyway, Maths + History (because you seem pretty sure about these two and they are actually very good subjects), + any two out of Psychology/Economics/English Lit depend on what you want to do in uni.

Don't do IT imo, don't do Business either if your school already offers Economics. All Law, Gov and Politics, Media are regarded as very "soft" subjects as far as I know.
    Gov and Pol isn't normally regarded as soft

not on LSEs 'soft list' http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergra...uirements.aspx

and whilst Cambridge's list current escapes me - I'm sure gov and pol isn't on it

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thank you very much for the quick replies!

My education story so far is somewhat peculiar. I was predicted 11 A's and A*'s at my old school, then stuff happened with my personal life and I'm left now taking about 8 GCSE's in a different school, all predicted A's, B's and C's, with most being in the former categories. I don't have as high inspirations as Oxbridge or anything, but I am interested in pursuing an ICT-based career, so surely it'd be a wise choice to take IT at A-level?

I like the current ideas of Mathematics, History, ICT and Psychology, and in response to andy12691, I'm taking three A2's and an AS, if I'm not mistaken, that is.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

EDIT: To people who have taken any of these subjects at A2/AS, how difficult were they?

ReputationRep:
    Just take what you enjoy. But bare in mind that Economics and English Lit are higly regarded, Government Politics and Psychology are 'medium subjects' and the rest are considered soft. But you have 2 Good A-levels and a decent one to back you up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yooth)
    Hey, thank you very much for the quick replies!

My education story so far is somewhat peculiar. I was predicted 11 A's and A*'s at my old school, then stuff happened with my personal life and I'm left now taking about 8 GCSE's in a different school, all predicted A's, B's and C's, with most being in the former categories. I don't have as high inspirations as Oxbridge or anything, but I am interested in pursuing an ICT-based career, so surely it'd be a wise choice to take IT at A-level?

I like the current ideas of Mathematics, History, ICT and Psychology, and in response to andy12691, I'm taking three A2's and an AS, if I'm not mistaken, that is.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
    Those subjects sound great, my only problem being, some places don't like IT A level... it is seen as being a bit soft.

Having said that, I'm sure that it would be useful if that's what you think you might to at uni... and if you enjoy it too. Another idea could be computing a level, again only regarded well by those specific degrees tho.

I'm doing maths a level, get at the very least a B at maths GCSE, an A or A* is much better though, just because it will make the first modules and the switch to core 1 much easier.

Your other 3 choices give you quite a good breadth of subjects, and good opportunities for the uni.

ReputationRep:
    Also maths is great fun! The same for any a level is that if you enjoy and are willing to put the work in, you will get good grades. I got an A* at GCSE and din't find the adjustment too much, you get to learn lots of cool stuff like integration, differentiation, logs, lns, binomial expansion... it's fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy12691)

The goose is right. Gov and politics is regarded as useful for oxbridge for courses such as history/english/classic/geog/law. It's not the hardest of a levels, but not in the same category as media studies.

ReputationRep:
    psychology would be a good one for an IT based career, just incase you end up around advertising or anything like that. and of course IT, english (if your good at it) is a good solid subject, and maths i would highly recommend for an IT based career as well.

ReputationRep:
    how are you at essay writing btw? because if you plum for both history and psychology there will be a lot of essay writing, just to let you know. saying that if you dont have any essay based subjects it looks bad for uni's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    Gov and Pol isn't normally regarded as soft

not on LSEs 'soft list' http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergra...uirements.aspx

and whilst Cambridge's list current escapes me - I'm sure gov and pol isn't on it
    (Original post by hazzypants)
    The goose is right. Gov and politics is regarded as useful for oxbridge for courses such as history/english/classic/geog/law. It's not the hardest of a levels, but not in the same category as media studies.
    Sorry, I must be wrong then . I don't do/know anyone who has done Gov and Politics because my school don't offer it. I thought it was in the same category with Law which is considered as a soft subject.

To OP, your options seem fine to me, apart from IT. Having said that, if you do enjoy it, don't listen to me :p:.
    How's about Physics? It's pretty good for Computer Science I believe.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.