Turn on thread page Beta

Working abroad for the summer long term relationship? watch

ReputationRep:
    well im going abroad for the season to work for thomas cook as a kids rep my dream job! just happens to come along when iv been with my bf 2 years and now im upset. how can i keep the relationship going without it falling apart while im away?
    il have the internet/my phone and hes comeing to visit me hopefully 1 week near the beginning and then another kinda in the middle. any of you been in this position? i keep getting upset at the thought of leaving him and everyone keeps asking what you gonna do? and im like why are you asking about him its me thats leaving everyone! i know if i dont do it now il never do it. any tips?
    thanks for the help :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, get a grip.

I managed to maintain a relationship with a guy in Australia without seeing him for 5 months at a time. You have the magic of the internet and phones, use them.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember that if the both of you really want it to work then it will... if anything this is a good chance to test the relationship and each others feelings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    well im going abroad for the season to work for thomas cook as a kids rep my dream job! just happens to come along when iv been with my bf 2 years and now im upset. how can i keep the relationship going without it falling apart while im away?
    il have the internet/my phone and hes comeing to visit me hopefully 1 week near the beginning and then another kinda in the middle. any of you been in this position? i keep getting upset at the thought of leaving him and everyone keeps asking what you gonna do? and im like why are you asking about him its me thats leaving everyone! i know if i dont do it now il never do it. any tips?
    thanks for the help :yep:
    Hey,

I was in this position last summer and will be in it again this summer. My boyfriend and I have been together well over 18 months and it was so horrible leaving him last year. I was in pieces at the totally bittersweet opportunity I faced. It was my dream job in my dream country and something I was unbelievably excited about but I knew I'd miss my boyfriend beyond belief and was naturally worried if our relationship would stand the long-distance test.

The first couple of weeks were ni-on impossible and I felt like I wanted to go home countless times. I would ring/text him so much just to hear his voice or see him text that he loves me. I needed reassurance and comfort which he was lovely enough to give. After a fortnight-3 weeks, I had settled in with friends and was enjoying my job. I kept telling myself that it wasn't forever and that by missing him so much, my heart was telling me how much I wanted to be with him. I trust him 100% so there was never any issues there. He was going out with friends and family and I loved seeing photos of him having a great time on Facebook; sure, sometimes I wished I could have been there but I knew I was having an amazing time too so we were both happy.

He came to visit me in the middle of my trip and it was amazing. He stayed for 4 days and I felt amazing, everything was perfect. We had an amazing few days and I showed him round the city and took him to all the places I'd come to love and introduced him to all my friends who I'd burnt the ears off talking about him and vice-versa.

When it came to saying "bye" to him when it was time for him to go home, I felt torn. I wanted to go with him but loved my life abroad and knew it was only a month until I would be home with him again. Having him visit, telling me he supported me and was proud of me made missing him worth it. It made me appreciate how much I love him and care about him and ultimately it's made us so much stronger. We have amazing trust, respect and understanding and support each other in whatever we do.

You'll miss your boyfriend like crazy but try and see it as a positive. Turn your negative thoughts and when you're feeling down into something happy. Keep a diary, send him emails with photos, talk to him daily, take films out with you that you watch together, photos and gifts from him. I took Gavin & Stacey with me because we watched it on TV together and whenever I felt down I watched it and laughed and felt happy.

It will test your relationship and will help you discover if you want to be with him. As someone said, if you do want him and you want your relationship to work, it will, naturally. If you're meant to be together, you'll survive the distance and learn that you care about him and that being in a different country only makes the time you are physically together more special and worthwhile.

I hope this has helps and you have a fantastic time! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just looking at your profile picture, and your attitude in general, you are clearly a chavette ****. Just find a **** buddy, and stop pretending you give a **** about him.:yep:
    how does my profile pic make me look like a chavette **** ? =| cos im wearing a football top ? :lol: get a grip, jelous much :rolleyes:

thankyou to others who know how i feel! i didnt ask for yous to be *****ees etc i asked for advice. thanks to those who gave it

ReputationRep:
    argh i went to work abroad when i had a boyfriend n i thought it wud be fine IT REALLY WASNT, its like ur in a different world , out of sight out of mind sort of thing and i did cheat because i started to forget about my bf i mean some people make it work but half the workers i worked with had bfs and gfs when they went and by the end there was only a couple left
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by LC_x)
    how does my profile pic make me look like a chavette **** ? =| cos im wearing a football top ? :lol: get a grip, jelous much :rolleyes:

thankyou to others who know how i feel! i didnt ask for yous to be *****ees etc i asked for advice. thanks to those who gave it
    Hmm nothing wrong with football shirts, just the team :ninja: then again you did give us Martin O'Neil.

ReputationRep:
    You're only there for summer, right? I'm sure you'll be fine. Your relationship must be strong if you've been together for two years. The weeks that he comes to visit, just treat it like a mini holiday for you two Just don't stress too much and have fun.

(Original post by Fleece)
    Firstly, get a grip.

I managed to maintain a relationship with a guy in Australia without seeing him for 5 months at a time. You have the magic of the internet and phones, use them.
    Really, try and have a heart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keekee87)
    argh i went to work abroad when i had a boyfriend n i thought it wud be fine IT REALLY WASNT, its like ur in a different world , out of sight out of mind sort of thing and i did cheat because i started to forget about my bf i mean some people make it work but half the workers i worked with had bfs and gfs when they went and by the end there was only a couple left
    Not meaning to disrespect you in any way but surely your relationship can't have been THAT strong if you strayed away and cheated?

It wouldn't even come into my thought process to cheat. "Out of sight, out of mind"? He isn't an irritating friend or a nuisance colleague... he's my boyfriend and distance is irrelevant if you're emotionally close and trust each other!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)

Really, try and have a heart.
    I agree. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Just looking at your profile picture, and your attitude in general, you are clearly a chavette ****. Just find a **** buddy, and stop pretending you give a **** about him.:yep:
    You must be embarrassed of this comment due to you posting it anonymously. Why not say what you feel without hiding behind an alias? Perhaps you'd think before posting such a useless remark if that was the case. Not to mention, the "advice" you offer is shocking and pointless.

The OP has genuine concerns and doesn't need to be told how she feels about her boyfriend or that she should forget him and find someone to mindlessly service her while she's away. Maybe it's that you wouldn't know about relationships?

Anyway, I dare you to comment properly next time, letting the world know who you are so we can all discuss your opinions username-to-username!

ReputationRep:
    You have serious issues with people, dont you.

Edit: Coward.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.