Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What have i done? wearing flat trainers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so i know that flat trainers are bad for your feet etc. Iv been wearing flat trainers for about 3 or 4 years now (when its my trainers i decide to put on) and i did start to have problems with the soles of my feet feeling like they are tightning when i walk or run and now this comes and goes, not very often. I also seem to get a sore ankle if i run.. is this to do with the flat shoes? it feels as if i go over on it..
    Also the other day i had to run to catch the bus and now my feet and legs are all sore, not the muscle but the bone i think. is this due to the flat trainers? and is this what shin splints feel like? :eek: it was really sore last night.. now its just sore when i walk. is there anything i can do? :o:

ReputationRep:
    Why are flat shoes bad for your feet? Seems like the more naturally a shoe is shaped, the better it should be. No?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Why are flat shoes bad for your feet? Seems like the more naturally a shoe is shaped, the better it should be. No?
    Apparently not. I think it's got to have a bit of a heel; something to do with the arch of the foot, I think. Apparently shoes like Converse are really bad for the feet.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh its the arch in your foot will become flat or something which isnt good. A guy i knew played football all the time in his flat trainers and now has shin splints. My mum was getting really sore feet and went to one of those people who deal with feet?? i duno what there called haha! and was told to start wearing proper trainers, was given insteps to put in her shoes that have a special shape to them and was told to roll a tennis ball around under her feet to try get the shape of the arch back :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    Ok so i know that flat trainers are bad for your feet etc. Iv been wearing flat trainers for about 3 or 4 years now (when its my trainers i decide to put on) and i did start to have problems with the soles of my feet feeling like they are tightning when i walk or run and now this comes and goes, not very often. I also seem to get a sore ankle if i run.. is this to do with the flat shoes? it feels as if i go over on it..
    Also the other day i had to run to catch the bus and now my feet and legs are all sore, not the muscle but the bone i think. is this due to the flat trainers? and is this what shin splints feel like? :eek: it was really sore last night.. now its just sore when i walk. is there anything i can do? :o:
    I used to have that before! SO excruciating sometimes... but it just stopped after a while and my feet are perfect again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mac29)
    I used to have that before! SO excruciating sometimes... but it just stopped after a while and my feet are perfect again!
    thank god im not the only one! but im just wondering am i gonna have some real problems once im old? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    thank god im not the only one! but im just wondering am i gonna have some real problems once im old? :lol:
    no ur not... you'll be fine really... its nothing, you could see your GP if ur really worried.

ReputationRep:
    Do you use them for going running with? I mean like proper training runs?

If so are they proper running shoes?

...And if so, what surfaces do you normally run on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    Ok so i know that flat trainers are bad for your feet etc.
    Some people can tolerate shoes with little or no cushioning and/or support but equally a lot can't - it isn't a conclusive yes/no either way.

Likewise it could be that your running technique is poor (perhaps in conjunction with incorrect shoes).

At the end of the day without a trip to a decent podiatrist and/or coach nobody is going to be any the wiser.

(Original post by LC_x)
    is there anything i can do? :o:
    1) RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation

2) Ibuprofen (provided you aren't allergic to it) is a better anti-inflammatory than paracetamol plus it will help with the pain.

3) Avoid running until you've sorted out your technique and/or got some proper shoes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.