Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mum is ruining my life because I don't want to study Biochemistry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This all comes down to the fact that she wants me to take my place at Imperial, and won't listen to what I want instead. I have an offer to study a 4 year Biochemistry course, and I'm quite sure that I don't want to do it now. I'm predicted A*AAA in my A-levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English Lit), but lately I've started to feel that my heart isn't in it, and that I'd like to drop out of sixth form and do something else.

I had a brochure come last week from LearnDirect, as I'm contemplating doing a home study course in Beauty and Nail Art, as I feel that having a trade is what I'd like more than faffing around in some lab. My mum just laughed at me though, and said 'you are not turning your place at Imperial down so you can paint faces'. :mad::mad::mad: I tried to tell her that there's so much more to the beauty profession than 'painting faces' but she won't listen. It just feels like she wants me to move out, rather than follow my heart's desire. With the course I was looking at, you have the option of going mobile afterwards, and so you can make loads of money through putting an advert in the Yellow Pages and going to people's houses to do them up and give treatments etc, and so I'd also get to travel loads and have some really good experiences that way.

I told my mum not to worry, and that I wouldn't work while doing this home course because I'd want to focus so much on getting the best result possible so that I can really enhance my prospects. She won't listen to anything though.

How can I deal with it? It's really wearing me down that she's being such a selfish *****. I told her I wished I was an orphan today in the car after she told me she wouldn't be paying for this 'painting nails bull****' and it really hurt me.

What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    Obvious troll is obvious.

ReputationRep:
    you go, girl!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but if you were my daughter i'd say you'll regret it if you do beauty and nail art. It sounds like a whim. You're probably fed up with studying by now so you want to do something fun. I have a strong desire to go to agricultural college but i'm going to go do chemistry because i know that it's better to have a stable job than hate your life for years to come.
    I sympathize with you but i still think she's right. Maybe you should give imperial a chance and if you still hate it next year then go follow your poorly paid dreams...
    I always give advice assuming that the OP isn't trolling but yeah... i just fed the troll.

ReputationRep:
    Lmfao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suffix)
    Lmfao.
    Oh I'm glad to see that someone's future is so ******* lolsworthy to you.

All I wanted was some advice on getting through to my thick cow of a mother, and this is the useful advice I get: 'lmfao'.

Thanks a bloody million.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd turn down Imperial for your mum...

Seriously, do you think we're stupid?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strangey)
    I'd turn down Imperial for your mum...

Seriously, do you think we're stupid?!?!
    Judging by half the replies; yes I do. I think you're thick as ****.

ReputationRep:
    i have to admit that beauty and nail art probably isnt the best choice. but there is no point in doing a 4 year course in something you hate, for one thing your heart wont be in it and when the work becomes really hard you will probably just give up. maybe put it that way to your mum, theres no point doing a course that would might not even do well in, have a long think about your options, there is a massive difference between biochemistry and beauty. try and come up with a compramise, something which will be enjoyable for you but not limit you to a single career choice that you may decided you hate at a later point.

ReputationRep:
    Troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassylady)
    Oh I'm glad to see that someone's future is so ******* lolsworthy to you.

All I wanted was some advice on getting through to my thick cow of a mother, and this is the useful advice I get: 'lmfao'.

Thanks a bloody million.
    I had a brochure come last week from LearnDirect, as I'm contemplating doing a home study course in Beauty and Nail Art, as I feel that having a trade is what I'd like more than faffing around in some lab
    :rofl:

If by any chance this is true, you're a moron and your mum needs to beat you.

ReputationRep:
    Just take your bloody place at Imperial already

What I would do is not troll.

ReputationRep:
    Okay.. I don't know if this is a troll but..

I think you should definitely reconsider and thoroughly think as whether if this is what you want to do. You have great potential and prospects and a place at a good Uni. However saying that, my friend, like you, good grades, good uni place, she however turned them down and went for a cosmetic course.. I think it was something to do with theatre make up and special effect make up. She is now very happy and content with her course and doing very well. I say that because I have known her for many years and can really see her doing something like this. Some people say, she may have wasted her intelligence blah blah blah, but in the end it is her life, no point doing something you don't enjoy.
    However on the other hand, maybe give biochem a chance, if it's not right for you, then drop out. I mean, it doesn't hurt to try and you might enjoy it, better to have taken the chance than regret it later. Your mum wants the best of you, but if you do become a miserable sod studying it, I'm sure she won't pressure you to stay on.

ReputationRep:
    Fhel.

ReputationRep:
    make sure your not doing this just to piss your mum off coz it kinda sounds you might be, but i good be totally wrong :P
    I would seriously give uni a chance and just see what u think and if you dont like it then just go with the beauty thing.

ReputationRep:
    This all comes down to the fact that she wants me to take my place at Imperial, and won't listen to what I want instead. I have an offer to study a 4 year Biochemistry course, and I'm quite sure that I don't want to do it now. I'm predicted A*AAA in my A-levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English Lit), but lately I've started to feel that my heart isn't in it, and that I'd like to drop out of sixth form and do something else.

I had a brochure come last week from LearnDirect, as I'm contemplating doing a home study course in Beauty and Nail Art, as I feel that having a trade is what I'd like more than faffing around in some lab. My mum just laughed at me though, and said 'you are not turning your place at Imperial down so you can paint faces'. :mad::mad::mad: I tried to tell her that there's so much more to the beauty profession than 'painting faces' but she won't listen. It just feels like she wants me to move out, rather than follow my heart's desire. With the course I was looking at, you have the option of going mobile afterwards, and so you can make loads of money through putting an advert in the Yellow Pages and going to people's houses to do them up and give treatments etc, and so I'd also get to travel loads and have some really good experiences that way.

I told my mum not to worry, and that I wouldn't work while doing this home course because I'd want to focus so much on getting the best result possible so that I can really enhance my prospects. She won't listen to anything though.

How can I deal with it? It's really wearing me down that she's being such a selfish *****. I told her I wished I was an orphan today in the car after she told me she wouldn't be paying for this 'painting nails bull****' and it really hurt me.

What would you do?
    I would: Go to Imperial. Get a top job and earn money. You can still paint faces after your Imperial degree if you so wish. But you can't go back to Imperial after 3 years of painting nails and faces.

ReputationRep:
    hey there...um i was jst gna write a genuine helpful comment here, but reading the messages here has made me think twice.
    so all i wanna say now is that, do what your heart feels best, respect your mum and just care about your future...what's gna pay you more? Nail and Art beauty thing can alwaysssssss be a side passion/profession. i would love to write more and help this discussion cos sumthing VERYY similar to this story happened to me just yesterday and the title of the thread was no more than a flashback for me

P.S. good AS grades (Y)

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted A*AAA in my A-levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English Lit), but lately I've started to feel that my heart isn't in it, and that I'd like to drop out of sixth form and do something else.

I had a brochure come last week from LearnDirect, as I'm contemplating doing a home study course in Beauty and Nail Art, as I feel that having a trade is what I'd like more than faffing around in some lab. I tried to tell her that there's so much more to the beauty profession than 'painting faces' but she won't listen. With the course I was looking at, you have the option of going mobile afterwards, and so you can make loads of money through putting an advert in the Yellow Pages and going to people's houses to do them up and give treatments etc, and so I'd also get to travel loads and have some really good experiences that way.

and that I wouldn't work while doing this home course because I'd want to focus so much on getting the best result possible so that I can really enhance my prospects.
    :troll: :upyours:

ReputationRep:
    Take a gap year... Do beauty courses then... And then go to uni...That's what 'm doing...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.