Turn on thread page Beta

Drinking to get too sleep watch

Just wondering if having 2 cans every night will have any long term impacts.

I have a hell of a lot of trouble sleeping and have found through my exams if I have a couple, within 15-20 mins if I try I drift off if I try instead of 3-4 hours otherwise.

So yeah, what are the long term effects of me doing this?

Night .

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol dependence (albeit light dependence). It's not gonna do any major damage to your liver but it's gonna affect your overall mood in the sense that it disrupts normal sleep patterns (i.e. the phases of sleep). If you're having real problems with your sleep see a Doctor for sleeping pills. Do you have a lot of caffeine? Maybe try some Valerian (it's in Kalms, Nytol etc) or Sleepeaze from boots.

ReputationRep:
    2 cans every day.. Only thing I can think of is that it might make you gain a bit of weight..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Just wondering if having 2 cans every night will have any long term impacts.

I have a hell of a lot of trouble sleeping and have found through my exams if I have a couple, within 15-20 mins if I try I drift off if I try instead of 3-4 hours otherwise.

So yeah, what are the long term effects of me doing this?
    I find that it's easier to initially get to sleep after a couple of drinks but you end up needing a piss in a couple of hours which wakes you up again (particularly with beer). You never get as good sleep if you drink, you wake up dehydrated and groggy.

There are a few other things you could try to improve your sleep without alcohol. You could try going to sleep at a regular time to create a good sleep pattern, excercise, or reading before bed.

ReputationRep:
    If you drink it helps you get to sleep initially, but you don't sleep for long, it makes you less likely to stay asleep for extended periods of time.

Your more like to feel positive sleep effects after one can of beer, more than this and the negative effects that make you restless and wake you up will become worse, overriding the positive effects. However, the more often you drink, the less likely you are to feel the sedative effects of alcohol, so if you did this long term, it would eventually stop working. It is only a short term solution.

Someone suggested prescription sleep tablets. Unless you are over 50, your doctor will not prescribe them as they are highly addictive and you will be unable to come off them. I wouldn't recommend alcohol as a long term solutions, as with two cans a night you are drinking about 3-4 units depending on can size and strength, which puts you at the top of end of goverment limits. If you drink on top of this, as I assume you would socially, you will be doing damage in the long term. Also, this would be high in calories, so it could cause you to gain weight as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisblade )
    If you drink on top of this, as I assume you would socially, you will be doing damage in the long term. Also, this would be high in calories, so it could cause you to gain weight as well.
    Government limits, are and always have been, completely fabricated ith little or no bearing on fact. As shown by that they fire their drug advisers when they say things that don't fit in with a politicians opinion.

I doubt it'll do you any harm, though personally I find that I won't sleep for longer than 6 or 7 hours if I drink myself to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    Government limits, are and always have been, completely fabricated ith little or no bearing on fact. As shown by that they fire their drug advisers when they say things that don't fit in with a politicians opinion.

I doubt it'll do you any harm, though personally I find that I won't sleep for longer than 6 or 7 hours if I drink myself to sleep.
    Haha, I know. When they fired the drug advisers after they totally disagreed with them over cannabis :yep:

Either way drinking is not an effective long term method to get to sleep. You can get prescribed low dose antidepressants which do help most people with insomnia, and they have no side effects (other than of course drowsinesss :p: )

ReputationRep:
    It will do you harm if you carry on doing it for a long time. Yes the government say you can have so many units per day, but they don't mean EVERY day, and that guideline is a maximum..

You should go to your doctor and get prescribed some sleeping tablets if you can't sleep. Much safer than using alcohol, and you're unlikely to become dependant on it.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that while you think you're sleeping your sleep won't be as deep and refreshing as without drinking, so you might feel very worn out and tired after days/weeks of doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    You should go to your doctor and get prescribed some sleeping tablets if you can't sleep. Much safer than using alcohol, and you're unlikely to become dependant on it.
    Haha, I can safely say they will not. And they are not safe, they are highly addictive. Prescription sleeping tablets cannot be given to people below a certain age as once you start taking them you become life long dependant on them. I had insomnia due to medication and the doctor basically said if she gave someone my age sleeping tablets, she'd loose her licence, it ruins people's lives. *rant over* Sorry

There really is no quick fix, but no matter how hard I find it to sleep I would never turn to alcohol, the long term effects are huge

ReputationRep:
    Read a report in the Indie a couple of months back about some research in a spanish town. They looked at the health of people who had 6 bottles of beer each day compared to those that had less or none, and apparantly those that had the beer were at a substantially lower risk of getting cancer..... although the report didn't say anything about the state of their liver.

ReputationRep:
    Becoming reliant on any drug in order to accomplish something is generally a bad idea. You can develop a physiological or psychological dependency; in the former your body will go to **** without it, in the latter your brain will associate 'alcohol' with 'sleep' so strongly that it finds it hard to do it without it. Same reason why taking sleeping tablets over long periods is highly recommended against.

I'd endeavour to find a non-drug way to get a decent night of sleep, because it's not like there aren't any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    They looked at the health of people who had 6 bottles of beer each day compared to those that had less or none, and apparantly those that had the beer were at a substantially lower risk of getting cancer..... .
    If I had six bottles a day I'd be hammered! :p: I swear everything gives you or reduces your risk of cancer now days. I've seen articles where something gives you cancer and in the next it reduces your risk... Gotta love Daily Mail cancer articles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisblade)
    If I had six bottles a day I'd be hammered! :p: I swear everything gives you or reduces your risk of cancer now days. I've seen articles where something gives you cancer and in the next it reduces your risk... Gotta love Daily Mail cancer articles
    Well, in order to counter my nasty habit of smoking, I think that perhaps i should drink 10 - 12 bottles a day, or maybe 13 jst to be on the safe side

(Original post by paella)

I have averaged about 3 the past few months, so getting 6-7 to feels like 12 to me lol.

(Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    The problem is that while you think you're sleeping your sleep won't be as deep and refreshing as without drinking, so you might feel very worn out and tired after days/weeks of doing that.
    3 hours sleep a night taking kalms tablets
    vs
    6-7 hours sleep after drinking

Which do you think is worse?

I feel OK now, after a few months on 3 hours I was falling asleep on buses etc..

(Original post by krisblade)
    Haha, I can safely say they will not. And they are not safe, they are highly addictive. Prescription sleeping tablets cannot be given to people below a certain age as once you start taking them you become life long dependant on them. I had insomnia due to medication and the doctor basically said if she gave someone my age sleeping tablets, she'd loose her licence, it ruins people's lives. *rant over* Sorry

There really is no quick fix, but no matter how hard I find it to sleep I would never turn to alcohol, the long term effects are huge
    3 hours sleep a night is ******* my life up frankly, really wouldn't give a **** if I got addicted providing it mean't I got some sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    3 hours sleep a night is ******* my life up frankly, really wouldn't give a **** if I got addicted providing it mean't I got some sleep.
    Trust me I know how you feel. I'd been getting to sleep around 5-7am for over 6months because my medication gives me massive insomnia, which considering I had 9am lectures was screwing me over. I hadn't slept in a few days by the time I went to my GP and basically got on my knees and cried. She basically said there is nothing she could give me sleeping tablet wise without her losing her licence, and I said what if I don't care about the effects, and she told me she wouldn't do it but if another doctor would I'd have to sign away all my rights to sue for malpractice as they'd basically said its not in my best interests.

I got to sleep that night for a couple of hours and it made me a bit more sane. You think that now, but have you ever seen someone trying to come off whatever their addicted to? It's not pretty and I'd say its a damn sight worse than not getting enough sleep. Coming off of alcohol will give you insomnia, so if you do become dependant, you'll have to go through the insomnia again just to become sober.

I would highly HIGHLY recommend getting antidepressants, they worked a goddamn wonder with me after a few weeks, and whilst I don't sleep normally I can actually vaguely function. And its a damn sight healthier/safer than alcohol abuse.

I have huge insomnia problems too Ive tried everything recommended, and I don't want to have to resort to drugging myself to sleep but you have to weigh up which is the lesser of the two evils. For me I have to choose between a sleeping pill dependency and leaving uni with a rubbish degree because I'm too exhausted/depressed to produce any decent work.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.