Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

just wanted to know if anyone doing ACA failed the first exam they did? I am an independent student. And if anyone passing the knowledge modules could please give me some advise on how they studied for them? I failed my first paper B&F, so if anyone could give me some advise it would be appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be worried - even some students on training contracts fail the first exam

However later exams will get harder so you need to really pass these well

How are you studying? distance? did you get some tuition? are you from an accounting background?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't taken the business finance exam, as I am on an audit training contract and so began with Audit and Accounting knowledge papers.

To pass them the key thing is to practise. You can even begin by simply practising through the questions (after a scan read of the chapters from your study text). The ones you get wrong, go back and learn properly (more lengthy read, make some notes).

Make sure you keep all the notes for review, and then next time re-read your notes (should be easier than study manual texts) and re-attempt an entire chapter of questions about a week later.

This is based on you attempting a chapter every ~1-2 days (depending on size of chapter) and rotating them over a week-fortnight cycle.

At the end of the day you have to do it basically every day, and you have to memorise a lot of information - this being a knowledge paper - after all.

Good luck!

PS - I would recommend seeking a training contract if you can.

PM me if you've any specific follow up questions.

R

ReputationRep:
    These ones are straight forward.

Just do every question in the question bank three times.

ReputationRep:
    BPP also do study passcards if you think that might help learn the info rather than using the book

ReputationRep:
    All knowledge papers should be easy if you pay for extra materials from BPP.

Do all practice questions in ICAEW's books and buy BPP learning media's CD question bank (I think its called the I-pass) which will have similar but adjusted questions.

All of that should give you enough practice to pass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champloo)
    All knowledge papers should be easy if you pay for extra materials from BPP.

Do all practice questions in ICAEW's books and buy BPP learning media's CD question bank (I think its called the I-pass) which will have similar but adjusted questions.

All of that should give you enough practice to pass
    Well I found accounting far from easy. It was extremely time pressured! I passed only after about 5 weeks of solid revision on it! Assurance and tax are ok though. I've also heard that the law paper is extremely difficult, many people in my office have failed that paper, some more than once.

ReputationRep:
    I have taken & passed all six knowledge modules (with Kaplan, in a training contract).

The two I found hardest were Accounting & Management Information, because of the time pressure in both exams. That said, I did score highly in both (over 90%) in the end; while they are time pressured, the material itself is not too hard and the questions are quite formulaic - if you practise the questions in the question bank enough times, you will be well prepared for these.

Assurance & B&F are all about the question practice in my view, & understanding what the question is asking as sometimes they appear to be actively trying to catch you out in the wording. Work through the QB at least 3 times for each so that you are familiar with the wordings & style of the questions. On top of that, know the stuff well enough but above all apply common sense.

Tax was probably the easiest - the questions in the exam were far easier than those in the QB in my opinion. It's not at all time-pressured either, so plenty of time to recheck calculations.

What I'd say about Law is that it's not hard in itself (i.e .as a subject) but I found that the questions in the exam were really peripheral - that is they didn't test the principles so much as knowledge of the examples of the principles (such as case law specific scenarios). I did pass, but I felt that the questions (at least, the ones I got) did not fairly test the subject because they picked up on really specific aspects that I would say are very much on the periphery of the syllabus.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks For The Replies, Will Keep Going Through The Questions In The Question Bank And Questions On The Kaplan En-gage Website.
    Too Much Studying To Do.

ReputationRep:
    Hello I have just enrolled to study ACA on a training contract with BDO & Co.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Give me some hope!
    Thanks and have a nice day

ReputationRep:
    Tax, Audit and BS. I would've said Law instead of BS, but apparently it's not taught at FTC (dunno about BPP) anymore. If you don't have a hyper tutor spoon-feeding you 5hitty questions about statutory redundancy than it makes it a little harder.

ReputationRep:
    Law is either distance or online study now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annah583)
    I have taken & passed all six knowledge modules (with Kaplan, in a training contract).

The two I found hardest were Accounting & Management Information, because of the time pressure in both exams. That said, I did score highly in both (over 90%) in the end; while they are time pressured, the material itself is not too hard and the questions are quite formulaic - if you practise the questions in the question bank enough times, you will be well prepared for these.

Assurance & B&F are all about the question practice in my view, & understanding what the question is asking as sometimes they appear to be actively trying to catch you out in the wording. Work through the QB at least 3 times for each so that you are familiar with the wordings & style of the questions. On top of that, know the stuff well enough but above all apply common sense.

Tax was probably the easiest - the questions in the exam were far easier than those in the QB in my opinion. It's not at all time-pressured either, so plenty of time to recheck calculations.

What I'd say about Law is that it's not hard in itself (i.e .as a subject) but I found that the questions in the exam were really peripheral - that is they didn't test the principles so much as knowledge of the examples of the principles (such as case law specific scenarios). I did pass, but I felt that the questions (at least, the ones I got) did not fairly test the subject because they picked up on really specific aspects that I would say are very much on the periphery of the syllabus.

Hope that helps
    Hi, I know this is a verrry old thread but I hope you're still on TSR! I've been looking at the Kaplan website and the Bus&Fin, Mgmt Info, Accounting, Accurance, and Princ. of Tax exams (all Knowledge modules) all seem to run every June, September and December. However I couldn't find anything about the Law module on their timetable.

Would I be right in thinking that this would run every June, Sept and Dec also?

Thank you for any help

EDIT: I am aware that Law is online rather than classroom based so this is probably why I can't find any exam info!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.