Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well the attitude my last thread received was about as welcome as sand up your vagina. I expressed a desire to break away from academia in favour of a more vocational path, yet everyone laughed at it and called me stupid. It's not like I said, yes I'm turning my place down at Imperial so that I can hang around outside Spar and smoke **** all day. I wanted to do this so that I could become more useful and do something that I actually enjoy.

Do people on here just have their heads firmly up their cracks, or is it reflective of a snobby attitude in our society?

ReputationRep:
    yep. and wot?

ReputationRep:
    So? Why are you affected by what others think if you're set on doing what you plan to do?
    It's the survival of the fittest and societal attitudes are not going to change that fact, you adapt and don't moan about it. Hard work and clever work is what matters in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I disagree considering the general public are respective of medics, vetenary medics and dental students.

ReputationRep:
    Do something you enjoy, live your life how you want to. I'm at Imperial. Most of my friends, myself included, are not overly enthusiastic about our degrees. I guess that's why we're not planning to stay in engineering/science having said that I have no regrets choosing this degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassylady)
    Well the attitude my last thread received was about as welcome as sand up your vagina. I expressed a desire to break away from academia in favour of a more vocational path, yet everyone laughed at it and called me stupid.

It's not like I said, yes I'm turning my place down at Imperial so that I can hang around outside Spar and smoke **** all day. I wanted to do this so that I could become more useful and do something that I actually enjoy?

Do people on here just have their heads firmly up their cracks, or is it reflective of a snobby attitude in our society?
    Stop being so stupid. girl - with your grades any person in their right mind would pursuade you from dropping your A-Levels for a course in beauty ffs.

All the potential wasted :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: - and if you had any common sense you would listen.

ReputationRep:
    Well the attitude my last thread received was about as welcome as sand up your vagina. I expressed a desire to break away from academia in favour of a more vocational path, yet everyone laughed at it and called me stupid. It's not like I said, yes I'm turning my place down at Imperial so that I can hang around outside Spar and smoke **** all day. I wanted to do this so that I could become more useful and do something that I actually enjoy.

I wanted to do that too...Got an offer at Kings but i don't want to do it any more. I'm only doing it because i feel like i'm pressured to, but in actual fact, I want to do something vocational
    Just because you go to uni, it doesn't mean you're any better than someone who hasn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antzlck)
    Do something you enjoy, live your life how you want to. I'm at Imperial. Most of my friends, myself included, are not overly enthusiastic about our degrees. I guess that's why we're not planning to stay in engineering/science having said that I have no regrets choosing this degree.
    Is there something about Imperial that makes people hate science? It's just that I had two friends who went to Imperial both to do physics one got a 1st the other a low 2:1 and both seem to have graduated with a dislike for the subject to the point that they wont even consider it as a career route

ReputationRep:
    Don't post a thread about your other thread.

ReputationRep:

the trouble is not vocational courses in themselves.. - indeed I am studying a vocational course but the governments use of the to attempt to decieve people into thinking that educational standards have improved.. - the 'everyones a winner' mentality, when in truth many of these courses are a waste of public money and a con to the student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxAFFxx)
    Stop being so stupid. girl - with your grades any person in their right mind would pursuade you from dropping your A-Levels for a course in beauty ffs.

All the potential wasted :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: - and if you had any common sense you would listen.
    So you're encouraging her to become one of the many students who simply get pressured into A levels for degrees due to their intellectual ability only to later become a drop out statistic due to dislike of the course and probably the stress that will go hand in hand with that?

What planet are you living on? Ability does not indicate passion for a particular subject or education route. If she's going to hate her A levels and later degree there's a fairly high chance of her dropping out all together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Is there something about Imperial that makes people hate science? It's just that I had two friends who went to Imperial both to do physics one got a 1st the other a low 2:1 and both seem to have graduated with a dislike for the subject to the point that they wont even consider it as a career route
    Good question because the reason why we all chose the degree was that we liked maths/physics/chemistry at school but you got to wonder ... what happened :dontknow:

I guess studying sciences at school or even uni and actually having a career in science are very different, the latter doesn't follow from the former.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    So you're encouraging her to become one of the many students who simply get pressured into A levels for degrees due to their intellectual ability only to later become a drop out statistic due to dislike of the course and probably the stress that will go hand in hand with that?

What planet are you living on? Ability does not indicate passion for a particular subject or education route. If she's going to hate her A levels and later degree there's a fairly high chance of her dropping out all together.
    She wont drop out if she does the right degree.
    Fair enough she dosent want to study biochemistry but there are hundereds of other degrees out there to suit different types of people.
    At what point did i say she has to devote 3/4 years of her time studying a degree she has no passion in - you clearly need to live in my planet where i READ peoples posts and dont assume what they're sayng.

Fair enough not evreyone can go down the tradtional route of GCSES, ALevels, UG, PG etc but if someones grades where as excellent as OP's then it would seem very criminal not to make them see sense in the error of thier ways - it would be criminal to see such talent and potential wasted.

EDIT: and before you start banging on about how im one those snobbish people im not. After my alevels i plan to take an apprenticeship in Admin/Business with my local council and no to go down the traditonal route of a degree so :mfing:

ReputationRep:
    The people replying to your thread weren't an accurate representation of britain as a whole, they are pretty much people who have chosen the academic route. I think this country is actually pretty good if you chose vocational studies, it is just as valid a route as regular university.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.