Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are there ANY loans, to pay for maitanance fees, for EU nationals that were NOT UK residents 3 years prior to the starting date of the course?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Other than regular bank loans, I'm afraid not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Let's say you were born in the UK and lived there for the majority of your life. However, during the previous 3 years to the start of your degree, you lived outside outside of the UK(but in the EU), yet you came back over to live, as a resident, for a peroid of 1 month.

Are you exempt from the maintenance loan?

Actually, as I'm Scottish, would I speak to SAAS(I'm planning on studying in England).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Let's say you were born in the UK and lived there for the majority of your life. However, during the previous 3 years to the start of your degree, you lived outside outside of the UK(but in the EU), yet you came back over to live, as a resident, for a peroid of 1 month.

Technically yes, although in a case like the one you just described you might be able to argue that you still had still significant ties with the UK, because your parents continued to live here, and you can prove that during the period you were away you kept your UK bank account, came back for regular visits etc., so in a sense you were still 'ordinarily resident' in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Technically yes, although in a case like the one you just described you might be able to argue that you still had still significant ties with the UK, because your parents continued to live here, and you can prove that during the period you were away you kept your UK bank account, came back for regular visits etc., so in a sense you were still 'ordinarily resident' in the UK.
    Unfortunately my parents haven't lived in the UK for 5 years, although we visit regularly and I don't have a bank account.

Are you telling me that EU nationals use a regular bank loan in order to fund their maintenance?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Unfortunately my parents haven't lived in the UK for 5 years, although we visit regularly and I don't have a bank account.

Are you telling me that EU nationals use a regular bank loan in order to fund their maintenance?
    Well, yes. Or their parents' money if they're sufficiently well-off not to need a loan. What did you think?

ReputationRep:
    Well, yes. Or their parents' money if they're sufficiently well-off not to need a loan. What did you think?
    what about the EU nation you live in now? if you speak the language would you not be eligible for loans/grants etc from there?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by AlexSC)
    what about the EU nation you live in now? if you speak the language would you not be eligible for loans/grants etc from there?
    That depends on whether those grants / loans also use residency rather than nationality criteria (which they may not) and whether you're eligible for them if you plan to do a full degree in another country. Often that's not the case.

ReputationRep:

Actually, as I'm Scottish, would I speak to SAAS(I'm planning on studying in England).
    Don't know about SAAS, but for SFE, actually no, you're not exempt. You are entitled to a maintenance loan. They brought in new rules last year. If you're a UK national that's exercised a right to live within the EEA or Switzerland and returning to the UK for education you get everything other home students get (as long as you did live in the UK beforehand). I think there's still a lot of confusion over it though (like the SFE calculator says you might not be entitled to anything as soon as you say you haven't lived in the UK for the preceding three years)-in fact when my sister applied last year she couldn't work out where she stood until she sent off her application to the EU team and they sent it back saying she should apply as a home student (so she gets a maintenance loan). The only thing I haven't figured out is whether you can apply online with non-UK addresses (my sister applied on paper)-but I'm waiting to hear back from someone about that.

Don't know if SAAS has different rules though. This is something you might want to check on.

Edit: Nope, no difference. It's exactly the same. See 'category 6' on this list. It should apply to you, which makes you eligible for the normal support home students get. http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/inf...t_scotland.php

ReputationRep:
    Any idea on how do they actually check whether you were in the UK 3 years sharp or just 2.5 years, for example? :confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    Any idea on how do they actually check whether you were in the UK 3 years sharp or just 2.5 years, for example? :confused:
    I have no idea, to be honest. Perhaps they're entitled to ask for proof of residence for that period?:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea, to be honest. Perhaps they're entitled to ask for proof of residence for that period?:dontknow:
    What's "proof of residence"?

I mean, I'm genuinely curious, 'cause I've been living here for almost 3 years, and I'm just few months short of being eligible for the financial support. Technically they can ask for bills for electricity (I know that these are commonly used as a proof of address/identity, for example, along with passport or a driving licence). But, at the same time, there's plenty of people much younger than I am (24) who never paid their bills and who never had any documents on their name whatsoever, save for maybe school certificates? So will they then ask for those? :dontknow:

The problem with me is that when I came to the UK, I haven't had a contract signed with my landlord, so I have no bills whatsoever that would actually explicitly state that I actually have been living here. Does that mean that the time that I've spent here - but that I might have a hard time documenting - is a time wasted, in terms of qualifying for the Maintenance Loan? :confused:

Many thanks, I would really appreciate if someone could shed some light on this, please.

ReputationRep:
    residence evidence requirements here
    http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/st...d,70545,en.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    residence evidence requirements here
    http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/st...d,70545,en.pdf
    This is form EU9N, this is a form for a Tuition Fee Loan, not for the Maintenance Loan. EU Students are eligible for loans towards tuition fees, but are not eligible for Maintenance Loans (unless having lived in the UK for 3 years prior to applying for a said loan). The question is - how do you need to prove your 3 year long stay in the UK? :confused:

If I'm wrong, correct me, but I just skimmed through the form and I'm pretty sure it's the one I've filled in the last year. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    if you weren't entitled to a maintenance loan last year you won't be for the duration of your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    if you weren't entitled to a maintenance loan last year you won't be for the duration of your course.
    Oh, right. :s Source?

I'm just curious, it doesn't sound right, tbh - I'm becoming entitled having lived in this country for 3 years now and having paid taxes for some time already, so if you have any link to the StudentFinance website that would actually explicitly state that, I'd appreciate that. :yep:

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    no, it is your situation when you start the course that counts.
    Not hard to find. It says
    As well as help with tuition fees, you may be able to apply for help with living costs and certain other expenses if you:

will have lived in the ‘UK or Islands’ (the UK plus the Channel Islands and Isle of Man) for three years or more when you start your course

on this link
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ries/DG_065322

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 29, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.