Turn on thread page Beta

Oxford student lied about his 10 A grades watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    :eek3:
    For the universities he wanted to apply to, I assume. Not for university in general.

ReputationRep:
    he is dumb for faking that he had 10 A levels..
    had he pretended he had 5 As,he would have gotten away with it!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Shift happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    He got in? And he only really got caught because he pushed his fabrications a bit too far?

I should've tried it.

I wish I'd though of it.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't live with myself lieing to college to get a Uni place, it's unbelievable. Why would he do it? does getting into Oxford really matter so much? i would much rather go to a Uni where i didn't lie to and achieved my actual grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    does getting into Oxford really matter so much?
    Have you seen some of the posts by people on TSR?! :eek:

Nice to know Oxford checks their students' qualifications... one term in :woo:

ReputationRep:
    why even bother lie.... we are talking about oxford here .. did he really think he would get away with that i would have checked it straight away as it does sound to good to be true x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pina.Love)
    HAHAHAHAHAH :rofl: What a ****!

Oxford admissions people are also just as bad, normally unis asks for GCSE and Alevel certificates as proof if you are an independent student
    Apparently he forged the documents...

They're still stupid though!

Also shows there's no point lying as if you're not good enough to get in truthfully then you're going to struggle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Apparently he forged the documents...

They're still stupid though!

Also shows there's no point lying as if you're not good enough to get in truthfully then you're going to struggle.
    That's just on the basis that this guy got caught. I'm sure there are others who got in on shady grounds and have been undetected!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fleur_)
    Haha, what? 10 As at A-Level...?! No one gets that! If you're going to lie, at least make it something vaguely credible. Like 4 or 5.
    But maybe he wouldn't have got in if he'd said he got 4 or 5 As. Maybe the "10 As" is what made his application really special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom1390)
    ... and 14 A* GCSEs!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ls-Oxford.html

I crapped my pants at the thought of cheating on my application 2 years back, and here this guy is!

Do you admire his audacity? Or think he's ridiculous?
    I'm inclined to think that he was waiting to be caught. He just risked it though. Perhaps he didn't want to go to University in first place. Or perhaps he planned to blackmail the department into spreading the news of how crap their admissions officers are. They should just have let him be and shut up imo.

ReputationRep:
    heh.

It's nice to think that if he actually got all the way through it and came out with a degree at the end - he would have been worth it.

ReputationRep:
    naughty boy!

ReputationRep:
    It is pretty unfair for 1,000 rejected people with good grades and honesty.

ReputationRep:
    This shows that Oxford are noobs :P

ReputationRep:
    I don't blame him, with the sort of pressure Oxford applicants are put under in the face of grade and UCAS inflation.

ReputationRep:
    I get the feeling he was only caught out because the college realised he was struggling far more than he should've given his grades. Checks on such things should be routine at the application process.

ReputationRep:
    I bet he was a member of this forum.

ReputationRep:
    If he was at Cambridge would this have been detected? Since Cambridge ask for individual UMS score break down in the application... Oxford only seem to ask for the overall grade(s)...

Does this mean admission to Oxford is easier than Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry what? Impossible to eliminate fraud? I hardly call this detective work, Oxford should have not offered him/enrolled him into the course without checking out reference - thanks to this, some other person had been denied a place at this course.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.