Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

pass plus - is there any point? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so i recently passed my driving test and my mum is nagging me to do this pass plus course. i've looked it up online and it seems ok, but what's the point?. why should i pay to do this course when i already have a driving license?. i know it makes your insurance go down but i don't pay my insurance [i'm on the motability scheme so it's paid for by the government] so i don't really care about that.

so has anyone done this course? is it actually beneficial or just a waste of time?

ReputationRep:
    Aside from lower insurance it will make you a better, safer driver. It is definatly worth doing.

ReputationRep:
    I feel confident enough on the road, so I didn't do it. I wouldn't say its a sure-fire thing for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    It gives you more experience with an experienced driver... personally i think the advanced driving test should become THE driving test

ReputationRep:
    whats the point in an advanced driving test if you've already done a normal test?.. does it give you more money off insurance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elynnor1811)
    whats the point in an advanced driving test if you've already done a normal test?.. does it give you more money off insurance?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_Plus

ReputationRep:
    I did it because i learned to drive in a place where there are no traffic lights and no scary junctions and no dual carriageways/motorways. I felt i needed to learn those skills to be a bit more confident in my driving. For me it was worth doing.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon you should get a lesson on motorway driving, but the rest of the stuff should surely have been covered through standard lessons with a decent teacher imo.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone should do pass plus IMO.

Would help reduce the millions of morons who just dont have a clue on motorways and country lanes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elynnor1811)
    so i recently passed my driving test and my mum is nagging me to do this pass plus course. i've looked it up online and it seems ok, but what's the point?. why should i pay to do this course when i already have a driving license?. i know it makes your insurance go down but i don't pay my insurance [i'm on the motability scheme so it's paid for by the government] so i don't really care about that.

so has anyone done this course? is it actually beneficial or just a waste of time?

If you're still nervous about driving after passing your course, it's a must. But for some people it can be useless and just teach them what they already know..

ReputationRep:
    I never bothered with it and have managed three accident free years, and I drive a hell of a lot on all sorts of roads in all sorts of cars.

The one thing that I'm glad of though, was that a few days after I passed my test, my dad came with me to the nearest motorway and I spent a few hours driving up and down and coming on and off the motorway under his instruction to get the hang of it. Motorway driving is very different to normal roads, so if you don't have a parent who will accompany you on a drive, perhaps the pass plus is a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    If you're still nervous about driving after passing your course, it's a must. But for some people it can be useless and just teach them what they already know..
    Your avatar is win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Your avatar is win.
    MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :llama: (closest thing to a cow on the smiley list)

ReputationRep:
    I think it will be worth it in the end, doing pass plus. I say do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)

Would help reduce the millions of morons who just dont have a clue on motorways and country lanes.
    IAM should be compulsory. That would stop people behaving like ******** on the roads.

ReputationRep:
    there are about 6 things however you can only do 3 or 4 of them practically the others are just discussion based, 1 hour on each section

i did it, think about it in the future your not going to be on that scheme for the rest of your life and when it comes to you paying for insurance then it would reduce it even more

ReputationRep:

This. It is scary how many clueless people you see on motorways especially. ******* middle-lane morons!

Pass-plus is recommended but isn't essential. Whatever you do... please, please learn motorways properly before going on them. You'll probably end up having an accient if you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fear Nothing)
    IAM should be compulsory. That would stop people behaving like ******** on the roads.
    I've seen some commentary drives on youtube, one overtook a tractor when there was an opening to the right, and made no mention of that. But on the whole I thought his ones were alright, but there was a complete moron doing a commentary drive on a dual carriageway failing to comment on things until he'd passed them. "oh look a do was walking about by that parked car, that could have been a hazard" :pinch:

And he was thrashing the car unnecessarily.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that the german traffic police took a group of newly qualified drivers and taught them advanced driving techniques and had a group that were just left to their own devices. The accident rate was ironically higher with the group trained by the traffic police!

I've seen some idiots on the road that I'm certain are "advanced motorists" who were taking a left hand bend at an incredible speed and over to their right (edging over my side of the road).

I'm not convinced that giving cocky boy racers and the likes advanced driving techniques would reduce the accident rate or get rid of the morons.

Just my thoughts on that.

But on topic:

Pass plus is worth doing if you're not a confident driver, but if you are confident and have been well taught... You may find that you're paying to be taught what you already know. That said, it'll reduce your insurance so you should just pay up and do the course and get the discount.

This. It is scary how many clueless people you see on motorways especially. ******* middle-lane morons!

Pass-plus is recommended but isn't essential. Whatever you do... please, please learn motorways properly before going on them. You'll probably end up having an accient if you don't.
    Motorway driving isn't that dangerous you just have to stay aware of what's going on around you and as you approach slip roads look for escape routes that will allow you to accommodate joining traffic and watch for the morons that'll stay in the right hand lane before cutting across right in front of you to take the exit on approach to exit slips.

Don't forget the blind spot checks when joining and overtaking though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fear Nothing)

My grandad did it and was quite frankly the most appalling driver I have ever seen - and, according to my dad, uncle and grandma, always had been - it didn't just come on with old age.

IAM won't change people enough, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    i did pass plus just over a month after passing just to make sure i maintaining a good standard of driving and also get advice on new scenarios i experienced.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.