Turn on thread page Beta

pass plus - is there any point? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPL1989)
    This. It is scary how many clueless people you see on motorways especially. ******* middle-lane morons!

Pass-plus is recommended but isn't essential. Whatever you do... please, please learn motorways properly before going on them. You'll probably end up having an accient if you don't.
    I haven't done Pass Plus. When I passed my test my papa took me onto the motorways for the first time (for about 30 minutes). It's easy once you're on them. Doing them by myself a few times brought me to the standard of a Pass Plus course taker. I saved myself what, £150?

Pass Plus is a money-making ritual that driving schools participate in to squeeze as much money as possible out of fully-qualified drivers and are supported by the insurance companies, when everyone knows fine well that it's a big waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    Pass Plus set me back £150 ... saved me £30 on my car insurance
    :true story:
    That said, it was worth it for me, as the weekend after my test I wanted to drive to London (from up North) and had never been on the Motorway before Pass Plus.
    So, it depends on your circumstances tbh.

(Original post by R. Murray)

I've seen some idiots on the road that I'm certain are "advanced motorists" who were taking a left hand bend at an incredible speed and over to their right (edging over my side of the road).
    I obviously wasn't present when this happened, and so can't comment with complete authority, but it's often the case that 'advanced drivers' take bends at speeds that the 'average' motorist would deem irresponsible, but is actually well within a safe boundary for the advanced motorist - the guys taking the left hand bend might well have been idiots, but they might also have been driving within their limits.

As for moving across the road, that's a well known advanced technique that allows you to see further up the road, and so you can spot any hazards much earlier. It can again look irresponsible, but, when done properly, isn't at all dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orichalon)
    I obviously wasn't present when this happened, and so can't comment with complete authority, but it's often the case that 'advanced drivers' take bends at speeds that the 'average' motorist would deem irresponsible, but is actually well within a safe boundary for the advanced motorist - the guys taking the left hand bend might well have been idiots, but they might also have been driving within their limits.

As for moving across the road, that's a well known advanced technique that allows you to see further up the road, and so you can spot any hazards much earlier. It can again look irresponsible, but, when done properly, isn't at all dangerous.
    Trust me, I'm aware of using the vanishing point to get the speed right every time for corners, I'm aware of moving over, but I have it on very good authority that you move over to the left on right hand bends, but REMAIN IN NORMAL DRIVING POSITION on left hand bends. Going over to the wrong side of the road isn't clever, it isn't advanced - it's plain stupid and dangerous. I'm of the opinion that driving on the wrong side of the road should be left to the highly trained traffic police drivers who have lights and sirens going.

I use the vanishing point method to allow me to take the corner at a safe speed while keeping the car balanced by getting the speed down before the corner and accellerating out of it.

I move over to the left on right hand bends to get a better view of the road sooner.

I remain in the normal driving position for left hand bends because moving over towards the wrong side of the road is potentially dangerous.

Trust me, I'm aware of using the vanishing point to get the speed right every time for corners, I'm aware of moving over, but I have it on very good authority that you move over to the left on right hand bends, but REMAIN IN NORMAL DRIVING POSITION on left hand bends. Going over to the wrong side of the road isn't clever, it isn't advanced - it's plain stupid and dangerous. I'm of the opinion that driving on the wrong side of the road should be left to the highly trained traffic police drivers who have lights and sirens going.

I use the vanishing point method to allow me to take the corner at a safe speed while keeping the car balanced by getting the speed down before the corner and accellerating out of it.

I move over to the left on right hand bends to get a better view of the road sooner.

I remain in the normal driving position for left hand bends because moving over towards the wrong side of the road is potentially dangerous.
    Move over to the left for right hand bends, and to the right for left hand bends. I'm not saying you'll be completely over, but your right two wheels will probably be just over the centre line. You'd have to use common sense to decide when to do it, but generally you'll have plenty of time to get back into your lane safely.

ReputationRep:

I'm sure I heard somewhere that the german traffic police took a group of newly qualified drivers and taught them advanced driving techniques and had a group that were just left to their own devices. The accident rate was ironically higher with the group trained by the traffic police!
    :rofl:

That really doesn't surprise me!

I thought about doing Pass Plus but never bothered in the end. It's very expensive and most things, such as driving at night, can easily be picked up on your own or even before you pass your test. It's definitely worth having a parent or someone who's 21+ and had a license for 4 years + in the car with you the first time(s) you go on a motorway, or anything else you're uncertain about, but unless you're very unconfident it's probably not worth doing a £150 course. Pass Plus is just a money making scheme IMO, and you don't even save that much on insurance - my insurer doesn't offer a Pass Plus discount at all. You only really save money by getting older and building up your no claims.

A motorway is just an extra lane.

If you pass your test and can't work it out, give your license back.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do it, you pick things up along the way :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orichalon)
    Move over to the left for right hand bends, and to the right for left hand bends. I'm not saying you'll be completely over, but your right two wheels will probably be just over the centre line. You'd have to use common sense to decide when to do it, but generally you'll have plenty of time to get back into your lane safely.
    That's just what the guy was doing - he was on my side of the road. When he does that, it's intimidating to have a car come round onto your side of the road on a reasonably narrow country road. Especially when I've already done all I can to make the situation safe by keeping well into the left.

The IAM style of driving seems very odd and I've heard some people have been encouraged on a straight but very narrow country road to drive in the middle of the road when there are on coming cars. The reason for this is to intimidate them in to moving further over and giving the "advanced driver" more room. I admit, I drive on the middle of narrow country roads when there's no one else about. If there is anyone approaching, I'll move in to the left and slow down.

Here's an excellent example of an idiotic "advanced driver"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQbQpq6Brlk
    I've put my thoughts on that video in the comment box :p:

I think that IAM push the idea of progress a bit much. I wouldn't like to be driven by a guy who wants to put speed above my comfort as a passenger. I put safety first, then smoothness and then speed. It makes for a comfortable economical drive.

All drivers need to think of the other drivers on the road. That is to say, put yourself in the other car driver's shoes and think how your driving will make him feel and make him do.

In my eyes, an advanced driver shouldn't make his passengers or other road users uncomfortable.

That's just what the guy was doing - he was on my side of the road. When he does that, it's intimidating to have a car come round onto your side of the road on a reasonably narrow country road. Especially when I've already done all I can to make the situation safe by keeping well into the left.

The IAM style of driving seems very odd and I've heard some people have been encouraged on a straight but very narrow country road to drive in the middle of the road when there are on coming cars. The reason for this is to intimidate them in to moving further over and giving the "advanced driver" more room. I admit, I drive on the middle of narrow country roads when there's no one else about. If there is anyone approaching, I'll move in to the left and slow down.

Here's an excellent example of an idiotic "advanced driver"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQbQpq6Brlk
    I've put my thoughts on that video in the comment box :p:

I think that IAM push the idea of progress a bit much. I wouldn't like to be driven by a guy who wants to put speed above my comfort as a passenger. I put safety first, then smoothness and then speed. It makes for a comfortable economical drive.

All drivers need to think of the other drivers on the road. That is to say, put yourself in the other car driver's shoes and think how your driving will make him feel and make him do.

In my eyes, an advanced driver shouldn't make his passengers or other road users uncomfortable.
    I'd question whether the driver in the video is an advanced driver, or one pretending to be. Equally, if someone intimidated you on that road they are also very unlikely to be an advanced driver. However, I still stand by my point that, when conditions and roads allow, moving slightly across on a left hand bend is a good idea. I've been driven by iam members, hpc members and police class 1 members, and the one thing they all have in common is that they make progress whilst still being completely safe, smooth and giving a comfortable ride, as well as instilling absolute confidence into the passenger and other road users.

Any driver who makes someone else on the road (or even a passenger) feel uncomfortable for fear for their safety is not an advanced driver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    A motorway is just an extra lane.

If you pass your test and can't work it out, give your license back.
    Not really - there is the added pressure of having to make (sometimes split-second) decisions, whilst travelling 70mph (sometimes 70+ for some). I certainly wouldn't recommend someone going on a motorway without any experience at all. Especially, as there are some total idiots on motorways. If you make a mistake on a 30mph road, it's likely you'll live to tell the tale. On a motorway? Not so much.

ReputationRep:
    Not all insurers accept it and the money you save on your insurance is probably lower or equal to what the pass plus costs you anyway. I wouldn't bother unless you have to do lots of motorway driving and even then you could just take an experienced driver with you to get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    I did it, but it didn't help with my insurance. So check if it will help you if you're looking at it from a financial point of view.
    It did give me more confidence in driving on different roads, such as country roads, and on motorways. Without that, it would have taken me much longer before I felt I was ready for a motorway run.
    I got half the fee back from the council as well though.

ReputationRep:
    i think it depends alot on where you live - i live in a leafy area of London and i covered in town, out of town, dual carridgeways etc... on my normal driving lessons... if you live in the middle of nowhere and havent driven on all different types of roads i think its good to do pass plus, but obviously if you dont pay for car insurance it wont make your insurance cheaper so there will be less motiviating you to do it, i would recommend doing pass plus just to get the discount, i got 20% off my car insurance for 2 years so it paid for itself and i saved money as well

the good thing about pass plus is motorway driving, and driving at night which you may not have done on your lessons, in fact my motorway session on my pass plus was actually AT NIGHT!!! :eek3: :eek3: lol 2 birds 1 stone!!

so yeh, i would say it depends what situations/conditions you coverd during your lessons - which may be down to what kind of area you live in

(Original post by oldlady01)
    Not really - there is the added pressure of having to make (sometimes split-second) decisions, whilst travelling 70mph (sometimes 70+ for some). I certainly wouldn't recommend someone going on a motorway without any experience at all. Especially, as there are some total idiots on motorways. If you make a mistake on a 30mph road, it's likely you'll live to tell the tale. On a motorway? Not so much.
    You do that on a duel carriageway.

I drove Brum-London with a mate for my first time, it was immense and had no problem.

If you can't deal with an extra lane, give the license back.

Accelerate onto the slip lane, indicate and look in mirror for a space, go into the left lane. Move through the lanes like you would a duel carriageway except theres three not two.

When you want to get off, indicate and go up the slip lane.

Where in that do you need £100 to learn it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Accelerate onto the slip lane, indicate and look in mirror for a space, go into the left lane. Move through the lanes like you would a duel carriageway except theres three not two.

When you want to get off, indicate and go up the slip lane.

Where in that do you need £100 to learn it?
    Let's not forget the blind spot check!

ReputationRep:
    Let's not forget the blind spot check!
    Are you being serious? I would never ever ever look over my shoulder when on a motorway. It is bloody unsafe. You may have been told to do it at 30mph on town roads, but on a motorway no one should be doing this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexyguy)
    Are you being serious? I would never ever ever look over my shoulder when on a motorway. It is bloody unsafe. You may have been told to do it at 30mph on town roads, but on a motorway no one should be doing this.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069862

Search "blind spot" :p:

ReputationRep:
    You dont need to check blind spots on the motorway as such as long as you take your time to do overtakes, of course if you are lane hopping then you are asking for it

but due to cars doing differnt speeds in all 3 lanes most of the time, a couple of quick mirror glances should be enough.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.