Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069862

Search "blind spot" :p:
    Joker. I am sure that site will say I must never go about 70 on a motorway as well...

Use your mirrors and stop being a plonker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexyguy)
    Joker. I am sure that site will say I must never go about 70 on a motorway as well...

Use your mirrors and stop being a plonker.
    Yep - the highway code is an unreliable source :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about a long look, a quick glance to make sure nothing is there is all that's required!

I use my mirrors religiously, and check my blind spots when required.

I've actually avoided a few accidents due to checking mirrors and blind spots when idiots go round the wrong way of a keep left arrow to pass me when I'm just about to pass a bus!

Blind spots are okay on 30mph roads, but not on 70mph?? You're the plonker!

ReputationRep:
    Yep - the highway code is an unreliable source :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about a long look, a quick glance to make sure nothing is there is all that's required!

I use my mirrors religiously, and check my blind spots when required.

I've actually avoided a few accidents due to checking mirrors and blind spots when idiots go round the wrong way of a keep left arrow to pass me when I'm just about to pass a bus!

Blind spots are okay on 30mph roads, but not on 70mph?? You're the plonker!
    Look homeboy - I really can't be bothered getting into a little e-arguement. However in MY experience (which is nearly 4 years driving and have probs done close to 100k) if you have common sense there is no need to look over your shoulder. All you need to do is look in your center mirror and then look in your wing mirror, you usually look about 5 seconds before you want to change. Then again just before changing. It has always worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    Look homeboy - I really can't be bothered getting into a little e-arguement. However in MY experience (which is nearly 4 years driving and have probs done close to 100k) if you have common sense there is no need to look over your shoulder. All you need to do is look in your center mirror and then look in your wing mirror, you usually look about 5 seconds before you want to change. Then again just before changing. It has always worked for me.
    A quick blind spot never hurts. I have my mirrors adjusted so that there is only a tiny blind spot, but it's still worth checking.

Why wouldn't you check your blind spot? It's minimal effort, perfectly safe and could make the manoeuvre safer still.

ReputationRep:
    i just dont and never really have. i have never felt the need to. also i dont like the idea of looking behind me at 100mph. if someone in the middle lane is undertaking me then i am pretty sure id notice it in my mirrors. if i am moving out, then i have enough sense to wait until i have a proper gap.

A quick blind spot never hurts. I have my mirrors adjusted so that there is only a tiny blind spot, but it's still worth checking.

Why wouldn't you check your blind spot? It's minimal effort, perfectly safe and could make the manoeuvre safer still.
    It's not perfectly safe if someone emergency stops infront of you at 70mph and you are looking behind you.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen some idiots on the road that I'm certain are "advanced motorists" who were taking a left hand bend at an incredible speed and over to their right (edging over my side of the road).
    I know what you mean. My mum is an advanced driver and she constantly drives right up behind things that have been indicating and have slowed down to turn off or something and moans about them and then accelerates hard. She also breaks late for things she has to do. My dad on the other hand is not an advanced driver and he's far better. He anticipates, observes and drives in a more economical and safe manner. I always try to base my driving on him and not my mum!

Edit: Oh and on the topic of blind spots on motorways. If you are checking your mirrors regularly then you should be aware of what's coming up behind you and what may have moved into your blind spots therefore it's not necessary to check blindspots. It's important to check all your mirrors though and not just your central and right one which is the general tendancy with driving. Also, as a good motorway driver you should be aware that it's not safe to sit in people's blind spots. It's a pet peeve of mine when i know someone is sitting around in my blind spot so i just ease off or accelerate so they aren't in it anymore!

ReputationRep:
    i just dont and never really have. i have never felt the need to. also i dont like the idea of looking behind me at 100mph. if someone in the middle lane is undertaking me then i am pretty sure id notice it in my mirrors. if i am moving out, then i have enough sense to wait until i have a proper gap.
    There's your problem!

And the blind spot isn't actually turning right round, it's just having a quick glance over your shoulder to check.

(Original post by Rucklo)
    It's not perfectly safe if someone emergency stops infront of you at 70mph and you are looking behind you.
    You keep a proper gap, and I would hope you'd be looking far enough ahead to be able to see any potential hazards that may cause braking.

It's all very well to have done good mirror work but it's useful to have a quick look to confirm there's nothing in the gap that you intend to move into. Where's the harm in it?

There's your problem!

And the blind spot isn't actually turning right round, it's just having a quick glance over your shoulder to check.

You keep a proper gap, and I would hope you'd be looking far enough ahead to be able to see any potential hazards that may cause braking.

It's all very well to have done good mirror work but it's useful to have a quick look to confirm there's nothing in the gap that you intend to move into. Where's the harm in it?
    In my car to see over my shoulder I have to full on turn around, if I did and someone braked just as I started to look behind, by the time I was looking forward I would hit them if I was going 75 odd.

ReputationRep:
    So your definitely going to see the motorbike? We're not cars, and so people don't always notice us in the mirror. I've had enough cars not see me travelling constantly in the outside, same as if i'm travelling slower than them, they still don't see me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    So your definitely going to see the motorbike? We're not cars, and so people don't always notice us in the mirror. I've had enough cars not see me travelling constantly in the outside, same as if i'm travelling slower than them, they still don't see me.
    Don't undertake me then... Plus i can usually here the annoying RRRRHHHHH sound from a mile away. Actually bikers are goons - they undertake and drive dangerously then go on forums and winge when they get totalled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elynnor1811)
    so i recently passed my driving test and my mum is nagging me to do this pass plus course. i've looked it up online and it seems ok, but what's the point?. why should i pay to do this course when i already have a driving license?. i know it makes your insurance go down but i don't pay my insurance [i'm on the motability scheme so it's paid for by the government] so i don't really care about that.

so has anyone done this course? is it actually beneficial or just a waste of time?
    Without causing too much controversy - how about lowering the amount tax payers pay for you to drive?
    Learning how to use motorways safely?
    Checking you can drive in a number of different places?
    Making sure you can still perform all manouvers?

I did that course, if I hadn't I'd be hogging the middle lane on motorways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotte-rose)
    I did that course, if I hadn't I'd be hogging the middle lane on motorways.
    I use the middle lanes alot. I don't see the prolem with it. If I don't want to go as fast as the rhl. And I don't want to stand behind a 50mph truck, infact I call it my cruising lane. I have never had a problem with this!

ReputationRep:
    I use the middle lanes alot. I don't see the prolem with it. If I don't want to go as fast as the rhl. And I don't want to stand behind a 50mph truck, infact I call it my cruising lane. I have never had a problem with this!
    When there's a substantial gap between yourself and the car in the slow lane it's courtesy to move over.

ReputationRep:
    Don't undertake me then... Plus i can usually here the annoying RRRRHHHHH sound from a mile away. Actually bikers are goons - they undertake and drive dangerously then go on forums and winge when they get totalled.
    I dont undertake... as said, travelling constantly in the outside lane. I also dont have a loud exhaust. So long as you check theres a chance you might see me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotte-rose)
    When there's a substantial gap between yourself and the car in the slow lane it's courtesy to move over.
    how come? if i am going fast enough, how is it courteous??? if someone wants to overtake me, they can use the fast lane is someone wants to move over they can find a space.

ReputationRep:
    I dont undertake... as said, travelling constantly in the outside lane. I also dont have a loud exhaust. So long as you check theres a chance you might see me.
    well i am sure i would have seen when i was coming up... if i am going as fast or faster than you, then you are in the wrong lane.

ReputationRep:
    well i am sure i would have seen when i was coming up... if i am going as fast or faster than you, then you are in the wrong lane.
    I'm not saying that i'm going slower- going back to being in the outside lane and not undertaking. I'm saying drivers who pull out, having not seen me in their mirror, had they done a check in their blind spot (past pillars in their car) they should have seen me. I know people don't see bikes, but i'm also aware that them doing blind spot checks can increase them seeing us. Same as bikers who pull out and get hit by a car as the car was in their blind spot, or they didnt check properly. Everyone should check.

I'm not saying that i'm going slower- going back to being in the outside lane and not undertaking. I'm saying drivers who pull out, having not seen me in their mirror, had they done a check in their blind spot (past pillars in their car) they should have seen me. I know people don't see bikes, but i'm also aware that them doing blind spot checks can increase them seeing us. Same as bikers who pull out and get hit by a car as the car was in their blind spot, or they didnt check properly. Everyone should check.
    I'm not turning right around like I have too in my car to try see a god damn biker who knows when they get on it that there higher risk.

If in the 0.00001% chance i hit one then tough ****, I make sure in my mirrors as best I can beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    There are no "fast lanes" and "slow lanes" There are, however, overtaking lanes

Blind spots don't take that long to check and I don't hear of any bikers slamming into the back of cars because they were doing a life-saver check. To put of doing a blind spot check because of the slight chance of the car in front slamming their brakes on seems somewhat silly.

On a similar line as Bathwiggle I include these pictures:

Do you see the bike?

How about now?

The biker was doing about 85mph, the car emerged from a junction while on their phone. The rider, and two occupants of the car were killed instantly and the biker was found inside the car. The car rolled after the impact and was found 20 feet from the where it was hit.

Yes, there was fault on both sides, but it illustrates how we, as drivers, have to look for bikes and other vunerable road users and make proper observations.

The vast majority of bikers will be sensible and competent, but because of car drivers may be involved in a fatal accident. Bikes can be difficult to spot and if you don't check your blind spot for cars, check it for bikes!

Imagine having the death of another person on your conscience. If the idea of devastating a family won't make you check your blind spot, nothing will.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.