Turn on thread page Beta

pass plus - is there any point? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    I'm not turning right around like I have too in my car to try see a god damn biker who knows when they get on it that there higher risk.

If in the 0.00001% chance i hit one then tough ****, I make sure in my mirrors as best I can beforehand.
    I'm not talking about right round, i'm talking about looking out your window! Or you telling me turning your head 90 degrees is too much effort?

ReputationRep:
    You can tell by the ignorance in some of the replies in this thread that pass plus is indeed helpful.

I think its hilarious that there are some people here saying blind spot checking is dangerous on motorways. The fact that most of it is coming from a middle-lane-hog who has had his licence for almost 4 years makes it even funnier! I used to be a little uneasy about turning my head around whilst on the motorway but then I realised I was just inexperienced and being a bad driver. It takes a split second to do and isn't in the least bit dangerous. You only need to see if anythings there, its not like have to admire the view or anything. If that is going to make you hit a braking car infront then you are clearly being an idiot and driving too close!

This is exactly why you should get somebody who knows what they're doing to teach you, and not somebody who THINKS they know what they're doing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexyguy)
    how come? if i am going fast enough, how is it courteous??? if someone wants to overtake me, they can use the fast lane is someone wants to move over they can find a space.
    You're telling me you've never had to overtake a few cars who were sitting in the middle lane only to look in your rear-view mirror halfway through and realise there's another car up your arse?

That is why it's courtesy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    My grandad did it and was quite frankly the most appalling driver I have ever seen - and, according to my dad, uncle and grandma, always had been - it didn't just come on with old age.

IAM won't change people enough, in my opinion.
    the problem with IAM is that it is a one off vs RoADA and others who require revalidation on reasonably regular basis ( iirc RoADA is every three years )

any test or exam can be passed it's whether people chose to use the skills on a regular basis or just do it to get the badge ...

the standard of driving in the UK is appalling in general - while many other places are worse it doesn't mean that people should become complacent

there are a lot of people out there with absolutely no clue of how to use the system of car control properly , never mind the Middle lane moron club ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPL1989)
    You can tell by the ignorance in some of the replies in this thread that pass plus is indeed helpful.

I think its hilarious that there are some people here saying blind spot checking is dangerous on motorways. The fact that most of it is coming from a middle-lane-hog who has had his licence for almost 4 years makes it even funnier! I used to be a little uneasy about turning my head around whilst on the motorway but then I realised I was just inexperienced and being a bad driver. It takes a split second to do and isn't in the least bit dangerous. You only need to see if anythings there, its not like have to admire the view or anything. If that is going to make you hit a braking car infront then you are clearly being an idiot and driving too close!

This is exactly why you should get somebody who knows what they're doing to teach you, and not somebody who THINKS they know what they're doing!
    How long have you been driving? Do what you think is right. I have never crashed, and never come close to crashing on a motorway. I therefore feel safe in the knoledge that I am a good driver.

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been driving? Do what you think is right. I have never crashed, and never come close to crashing on a motorway. I therefore feel safe in the knoledge that I am a good driver.
    yeah your such a good driver. I see your username and I will always remember you for this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1161517 . The fact that you can not think from the 3rd parties perspective in that scenario. I fail to see how you are a good driver as you are not considerate of others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    yeah your such a good driver. I see your username and I will always remember you for this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1161517 . The fact that you can not think from the 3rd parties perspective in that scenario. I fail to see how you are a good driver as you are not considerate of others.
    bla bla bla. that bloke was being a chump. i have informed my insurers that i am not sure if i hit him, and that his son was uninsured. apparently they won't be paying out - so i win! x

ReputationRep:
    ZippyRN (as is often the case) has raised one of the main points about IAM members, it's like the L test in that it's once off test. Once you've passed it you have passed it and the RoADaR test is re-done every 3 years for currency. You can retake the test and do special assessments that are to an higher standard than the usual IAM test.
    A couple of things about motorways, once you have overtaken on a motorway you are obliged to move back to the left hand lane. It's not a middle lane, it's the overtaking lane and if you're not overtaking you are in the wrong lane. Blind spot checks aren't dangerous if done correctly (and they're NOT difficult to do correctly) you're checking for something in a small area you can't see, not trying to determine the eye colour of the person driving the car.

To answer the OP, I reckon that pass plus is a good thing, but then I'm a big fan of advanced training in general (which is why I'm going to be updating the advanced driving thread with some extra stuff from the Moray IAM course soon) and as one of the posters said, someone driving to an AD standard may be doing something that can look dangerous to others.
    Case in point is left hand bends, you move to the right to get a better view of oncoming traffic as you can see further round the bend that way and once you've passed the apex and the vanishing point starts to run you can build your speed up back to the safe legal speed for the road. But if there is something else coming you sacrifice road position to keep it safe.

This is the thing that people forget. Safety is the first rule, as long as it's safe you drive to be systematic (using the ISPGA system of car control), while you can do this you try to be smooth, once all of that holds you make good progress up to the safe legal speed of the road. You drop speed to keep it smooth, you drop that to keep considering the stages of the system and you drop everything to stay safe. If someone is holding a central position on a country road where it's safe to do so to give them better vision then fine, if they're doing it to "intimidate other roadusers" then slap them with a copy of Roadcraft and tell them to get on a re-assessment 'cause they're damn sure not driving in a safe manner, let alone an advanced one.

Driving safely is more than just having good car control, you've also got to consider the other people on the road, be they idiots, princesses, druggies or traffic cops. They might be timid, they might be aggressive, they might be arrogant halfwits but they're legally allowed on the road the same as you, it's a team sport, not a solo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    Hahaha oh my god, I actually read that sometime last week. Can't believe I didn't realise it was the same person!

I don't see how this is relevant at all, but I've been driving properly for about 2.5 years now (I drove a moped for 2 years before that, then had a break where I drove nothing). I've been doing 250 miles of motorway per week for those 2.5 years also by the way. I guess that's why middle-lane-hogs infuriate me so much

ReputationRep:
    I am about to do the Pass Plus as I deffo need the extra experience - I am a very safe driver, but I'm still extremely nervous. Going back out driving with the guy who taught me to drive, checking that my standards haven't slipped and yeah, showing me how to drive safetly and confidently on the motorway will do nothing but good for me.
    I also am in the position where I can't just tackle the motorway with my dad, as he has anger issues and makes me extremely nervous in the car with him, resulting in an argument between us and/or me losing concentration and doing something stupid.
    I do think that in some cases going out with a calm and patient parent can be just as good as the pass plus scheme.

Oh, also, I live down several miles of winding, twisty country lanes, and it's so easy to spot somebody who has no experience of lane driving, as they drive incredibly recklessly, considering the high hedges, rare passing places and constant one lane, blind corners. Bearing in mind that driving 30-40 mph is reckless.
    Therefore the Pass Plus can be increeedibly useful for people who rarely drive in the lanes, as it will help to reduce the large amounts of head on accidents that happen there, if people knew how to drive through them properly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deutsch_Beth)
    I also am in the position where I can't just tackle the motorway with my dad, as he has anger issues and makes me extremely nervous in the car with him, resulting in an argument between us and/or me losing concentration and doing something stupid.
    I do think that in some cases going out with a calm and patient parent can be just as good as the pass plus scheme.
    Oh wow, this reminds me so much of my first trip onto the motorway. My dad isn't too bad with anger but... simply put, he's a slow old git! He's a good driver himself, but he ended up being more harm than good because he took so long to answer my questions, didn't take in what I was saying, forgot to mention things, told me the wrong directions/instructions... urgh, nightmare. Inevitably I ended up getting stressed out by it all and an argument broke out making things even worse.

You could try just going on your own and getting used to it yourself (with some tips/advice beforehand of course), but I really wouldn't recommend this if you aren't confident - you'll most likely end up making mistakes, leaving you feeling even less confident when you're done. Save yourself the risk and the stress from your dad and go with your instructor, its important that whoever you go with has some idea of how to teach.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.