Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I call an emergency dentist, or wait? watch

ReputationRep:
    Wow, haven't used this site in ages, but it seems the logical place to find people to ask random questions to in the early hours.

Anyway, basically, a few nights ago my front teeth took a pretty nasty knock. At the time it hurt for a while but soon stopped hurting and I forgot about it. But today, out of nowhere, I started getting agonising pain in the area around my front top teeth, which at first was coming and going but then became constant. I phoned the university dental service who really messed me around, telling me to wait until 6.30 and call the out of hours service, which makes no sense since this was only about 4pm, so I didn't NEED the out of hours service. Anyway, I've been busy all evening and the pain stopped being constant, just sometimes twinging. But now it's back and it's really painful. I examined my teeth in the mirror and I'm concerned that one of my front top teeth is a little bit loose.

I think there are emergency dentists in the area, or I could try to contact the hospital or something, if that would be for the best. My imediate thought is to wait for the morning, but the fact that the pain seems to be getting worse, and the thought of going to sleep with a loose tooth makes me start getting silly paranoias about it falling out and me choking on it, I'm wondering if this is an urgent enough situation to warrant making an emergency out of it.

Would it be best to see someone immediately, or wait until the morning? I'm really worried about this now, the thought of losing a front tooth is horrible (vain creature as I am) and I'd rather prevent it than have it happen then try to resolve it.

Argh. Scared. What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    yeah i would say this qualifies as an emergency since its causing you a lot of pain

ReputationRep:
    If I was in your situation I would wait until the morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starless Eyes)
    If I was in your situation I would wait until the morning.
    First id agree with this...

Second.. your avatar is awesome :eek3: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hontoir)
    First id agree with this...

Second.. your avatar is awesome :eek3: :yep:
    Thanks for agreeing and for the comment on my awesomely amazing avatar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starless Eyes)
    Thanks for agreeing and for the comment on my awesomely amazing avatar
    Im guessing its some sort of awesomly amazing bouncing floating owlll.... but have no idea where its from

ReputationRep:
    Drink lots of vodka, then wait until the morning.

ReputationRep:
    If you're in London... I found some 24/7 peeps.
    http://www.24hour-emergencydentist.co.uk/

If you're gonna venture out now though, stay safe.

ReputationRep:
    If it's loose pull it out now, put it in milk and see your dentist at 8 o clock. Otherwise it may die in your mouth causing irreversible necrotic damage to the gum foundations, meaning artificial teeth cannot be implanted. You'd be left a toothless wench.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EducatingBrogan)
    Wow, haven't used this site in ages, but it seems the logical place to find people to ask random questions to in the early hours.

Anyway, basically, a few nights ago my front teeth took a pretty nasty knock. At the time it hurt for a while but soon stopped hurting and I forgot about it. But today, out of nowhere, I started getting agonising pain in the area around my front top teeth, which at first was coming and going but then became constant. I phoned the university dental service who really messed me around, telling me to wait until 6.30 and call the out of hours service, which makes no sense since this was only about 4pm, so I didn't NEED the out of hours service. Anyway, I've been busy all evening and the pain stopped being constant, just sometimes twinging. But now it's back and it's really painful. I examined my teeth in the mirror and I'm concerned that one of my front top teeth is a little bit loose.

I think there are emergency dentists in the area, or I could try to contact the hospital or something, if that would be for the best. My imediate thought is to wait for the morning, but the fact that the pain seems to be getting worse, and the thought of going to sleep with a loose tooth makes me start getting silly paranoias about it falling out and me choking on it, I'm wondering if this is an urgent enough situation to warrant making an emergency out of it.

Would it be best to see someone immediately, or wait until the morning? I'm really worried about this now, the thought of losing a front tooth is horrible (vain creature as I am) and I'd rather prevent it than have it happen then try to resolve it.

Argh. Scared. What do I do?
    Emergency room I'd say - the pain is keeping you awake, and it could be a signal of a serious infection. Because of all of the blood vessels running around near your teeth, if you do have a bad infection then your health could deteriorate overnight - it's not worth the risk. Even if there isn't a dentist available at this time, at least they will be able to give you some pain killers and hopefully some antibiotics =]
    Good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    NHS Direct on 0845 46 47

Ask them for advice!

ReputationRep:
    I'd go to the Hospital or call a Dentist.

I once had to call one out on Christmas day, because I had toothache that meant I could barely open my mouth and I was off on holiday.... If it's loose, it could come out overnight if a knock was severe. So go phone a call out dentist.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.