Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How to improve your application?

Can current/previous medic students provide information, tips and advice to future applicants? Anything you would consider that would make a candidate outstanding.

Should I get lots of work experince and where? Should I do voluntary work? Shadow a doctor? And how many placements should I do and for how long?

Also can you give me ideas on which fourth a-level to choose.

1) Maths
    2) Chemistry
    3) Biology
    4) ?

I heard medical schools prefer candidates with english literatue and music.

Look forward to your replies.

ReputationRep:
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ReputationRep:
    is this a troll...?? should I get lots of work experience..? 'I heard medical schools prefer candidates with english literatue and music.' ... :troll:

ReputationRep:
    Yes Its Your Mum and she is a troll. well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentjohn)
    Should I get lots of work experince and where? Should I do voluntary work? Shadow a doctor? And how many placements should I do and for how long?
    Yes. Hospitals. Yes. Yes. As many as you can get.

Your final A level doesn't even matter. So long as you do chem and bio thats really it. Some want three sciences. Look up the entry reuirements for the unis you like and decide based on that.

ReputationRep:
    asking applicant what made thier application stand out is a good idea but all the work experiance and what Alevels should i do rubbish is all in wiki and other threads.

my advice : use the search engin in the top right hand corner.

ReputationRep:
    Please use the search function and look in the wiki before posting a new thread:
    subject choice
    more subject choice
    work experience
    more work experience

ReputationRep:
    I heard that there's bonus points in the criteria for every notable academic you have slept with and have reflected on in your PS.

Not sure how much truth there is to this though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I heard that there's bonus points in the criteria for every notable academic you have slept with and have reflected on in your PS.

Not sure how much truth there is to this though...
    It's not how many you've slept with that's important, it's how you reflect on your experiences. Medical schools realise that most applicants are not able to get lots of opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madprof)
    It's not how many you've slept with that's important, it's how you reflect on your experiences. Medical schools realise that most applicants are not able to get lots of opportunities.
    I quite agree, and that's how it should be.

But in fairness a lot has been done over the last few years to increase opportunities. Today you can ring up the HR department of most universities and within 5 minutes be submitting an application for "entice an expert", whereas back in the bad old days you had to reach for the rohypnol and take part in the far more shady program "rape a researcher", which of course limited medicine to only those who could afford a sufficient amount of rohypnol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I quite agree, and that's how it should be.

But in fairness a lot has been done over the last few years to increase opportunities. Today you can ring up the HR department of most universities and within 5 minutes be submitting an application for "entice an expert", whereas back in the bad old days you had to reach for the rohypnol and take part in the far more shady program "rape a researcher", which of course limited medicine to only those who could afford a sufficient amount of rohypnol.
    The odd GHB-ing doesn't hurt your chances, though

ReputationRep:
    really the only fing you need is a genuine interest to explore the profession of your choice.

if its what you want to do wif your life, you wont rest till you know it well.

trying to create 'oops to jump is a sign that one isnt interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    really the only fing you need is a genuine interest to explore the profession of your choice.

if its what you want to do wif your life, you wont rest till you know it well.

trying to create 'oops to jump is a sign that one isnt interested.
    The whole process is basically hoop-jumping. Life isn't fair - the ones that get in won't always be those with a "genuine interest".

ReputationRep:
    a genuine interest negates the need for 'oop jumping.

ReputationRep:
    a genuine interest negates the need for 'oop jumping.
    No it doesn't.

Universities won't care how interested you are if you miss their GCSE or UKCAT cutoff.

ReputationRep:
    yes it does. its about what YOU care to do after all that gets the grades and gets you in, not what universities DONT care about you not making minimum requirements.

what are 'oops to you, are seen as joys of interest to others, simply becos they are ave a massive interest in doing the work experience.
    in exatcly the same way students would want to choose gcses that they thrive on, rather than ones that seem like 'oops to jump through... that'll give em the best chance of growing in them and getting good grades.

granted though bits of it seem like 'oops - A lvl chemistry a point in being. its got sweet f all to do wif medicine.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with Gizmo, I had such a good time doing the UKCAT I did it again this year not because I had to, but because I just wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    lool, funnee.
    but use a smilie next time, not everyone catches on.

why did you find UKCAT so difficult to make the grade in first time?

ReputationRep:
    lool, funnee.
    but use a smilie next time, not everyone catches on.

why did you find UKCAT so difficult to make the grade in first time?
    How do you mean, so difficult to make the grade in first time?

ReputationRep:
    yes it does. its about what YOU care to do after all that gets the grades and gets you in, not what universities DONT care about you not making minimum requirements.

what are 'oops to you, are seen as joys of interest to others, simply becos they are ave a massive interest in doing the work experience.
    in exatcly the same way students would want to choose gcses that they thrive on, rather than ones that seem like 'oops to jump through... that'll give em the best chance of growing in them and getting good grades.

granted though bits of it seem like 'oops - A lvl chemistry a point in being. its got sweet f all to do wif medicine.
    I'm not entirely sure what you are saying. Anyway, my point is that it's rather naive for people to assume their interest will carry them through, when applicants are being compared against each other to find the best ones.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.