Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so here goes, no point in using anon since I have nothing to hide anyway. Basically, quite a lot of nights before I go to sleep (usually right before I fall asleep) I get a very rapid shortness of breath and sometimes chest pains, now I know that doesn't sound too bad but tonight it got really bad I mean I could barely breathe and was thinking of asking one of my flat mates to drive me to the hospital I was so bad then it just went away again? This is really weird.. especially since it only happens right before I go to sleep and the rest of the time I'm fine? Anyone any ideas?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Necro Defain)
    Okay so here goes, no point in using anon since I have nothing to hide anyway. Basically, quite a lot of nights before I go to sleep (usually right before I fall asleep) I get a very rapid shortness of breath and sometimes chest pains, now I know that doesn't sound too bad but tonight it got really bad I mean I could barely breathe and was thinking of asking one of my flat mates to drive me to the hospital I was so bad then it just went away again? This is really weird.. especially since it only happens right before I go to sleep and the rest of the time I'm fine? Anyone any ideas?

Thanks!
    Do you eat before you go to bed? I'm thinking could it be 'digestion related', but it sounds to bad to be that.

Go and see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    yup, the only advice for you here is goseeurGP.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    Do you eat before you go to bed? I'm thinking could it be 'digestion related', but it sounds to bad to be that.

Go and see your GP.
    I ate like 5 hours before I go to bed although I do feel some nausea when Im like this

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a panic attack of some sort... palpitations, shortness of breath, chest pain.

I'd go see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Necro Defain)
    I ate like 5 hours before I go to bed although I do feel some nausea when Im like this
    well I'm glad you posted about it because you are clearly worried (and it sounds as though you should be). However a bunch of students on an internet forum cannot really do much for you. If I were you I would make an appointment to see your GP. If you are given a few days before your GP appointment then make a list of symptoms you experience to show your GP, and how regularly they occur etc.

good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds nasty. I'm no medical expert but my guess would be:

1) Indigestion like someone else said, if you've never had it before, it causes chest pain in a place that you wouldn't think had anything to do with digestion (hence the 'heart' part, it has nothing to do with the heart but the sensation feels like it comes from there). Rennie is good, and not eating close to bed time. It worsens if you lie down, (due to the acid rising? might not be correct but it feels like it) but I haven't known it to cause breathlessness,

2)Muscular/skeletal reasons. I had this only a week ago, I must have pulled/sprained my intercostal muscles (involuntary ones used for breathing), or maybe even damaged a bone, which caused inflammation, but I had pain breathing, and it felt like a weight on my chest constantly, sometimes shooting pains. It hurt when I pressed it, and felt swollen, perhaps why it felt like my breathing was shallower and restricted. And it was worse at night and when lying down. Anyway, I just waited for days for it to pass, and when it didn't I saw a doctor who gave me ibuprofen, for pain relief and swelling. It went after about a week. But then, although it got worse towards the end of the day, and lying down, I had it constantly, I don't know if you do?

It could be neither of course, just sounded similar to what I've been having

Edit: Just re-read your post, and if it comes quickly and goes quickly it's probably not 2 and if you hadn't eaten for hours, it's probably not 1. sorry for being of no use

ReputationRep:
    Are you allergic to anything? You could get a bronchodilator (inhaler or tablets) from the pharmacy, Do you have a history of allergic asthma? Do you have a feather/down pillow or duvet? Polyester may be better. Jump in the shower and your beathing difficulty should ease with the steam at least until you can get help. However, you really need to see a doc - you can die from not breathing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.