Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you deal with regret? Watch

Thanks, all bloody good replies.

ReputationRep:
    buy a bottle of alcohol or spirits and then drink it not to fast though

ReputationRep:
    I cry a lot and tear myself apart inside thinking about my regrets and what I should have done differently. How healthy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExDeusVenitBritannia)
    That made me laugh so much. Thank you for that, Robbo.
    I wrote it very late at night, OK

ReputationRep:
    Regret never helps, it rather gives nothing but bad feelings. Because the past passed, and one can never go back in time to change it. If it was out of your control then you have to take it as it is and accept that it happened as it happened.

I had a similar situation as you one year ago with a mixture of health problems and regrets. There was a girl who meant a lot to me but couldn't be with her for some reasons. The negative thoughts were driving me crazy. I remember when I was once talking to my mother on the phone, and kept complaining and saying negative things that made her really sad. So she said to me one sentence that I will remember lifelong: "Don't tell me what you did or couldn't do, tell me now what you want to do".

Life it too short to live in regrets. And if you spend your present on regretting the past, then your are also wasting your present which you will regret again in the future. Forget the past, live your present and make some plans for the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittersweetxsymphony)
    I cry a lot and tear myself apart inside thinking about my regrets and what I should have done differently. How healthy!
    That's really sad. But even if you have done things differently, you can never guarantee that the outcome would have been better. Who knows? maybe you would have got the same result or even worse.

From my experience, I now believe that when something happens, even if it's negative, it happened for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For things that weren't in your own control? I am in the most stable part of my life in years at the minute and i have clawed my way to becoming a well rounded and physically as well as mentally strong man - I cannot be happier with how things are progressing for me.

However, i have my demons. I have had **** health prior to this year and it affected a lot of those around me and how they saw me and treated me - this was **** for college and my social life (where i had good intervals when i had good health) but also brought me closer to my family which was a bloody great thing.

My main regret is not realising that strength is important. I regret being pushed around when i was younger and having progressed so slowly in understanding how to be a man who stands his ground and commands respect. Mostly, i regret not being strong enough mentally to get the girl i wanted and fell in love with for so long even though there have been many since her.

I feel as though i'm starting on a new blank slate but what i have progressed with has left a lot of scars.
    Why regret?
    All the crap every person goes through shapes who they are.
    Personally i'm proud of who i am. Yes i still get nightmares and can struggle some days with past things.
    But i regret nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For things that weren't in your own control? I am in the most stable part of my life in years at the minute and i have clawed my way to becoming a well rounded and physically as well as mentally strong man - I cannot be happier with how things are progressing for me.

However, i have my demons. I have had **** health prior to this year and it affected a lot of those around me and how they saw me and treated me - this was **** for college and my social life (where i had good intervals when i had good health) but also brought me closer to my family which was a bloody great thing.

My main regret is not realising that strength is important. I regret being pushed around when i was younger and having progressed so slowly in understanding how to be a man who stands his ground and commands respect. Mostly, i regret not being strong enough mentally to get the girl i wanted and fell in love with for so long even though there have been many since her.

I feel as though i'm starting on a new blank slate but what i have progressed with has left a lot of scars.
    I deal with regret by thinking, that was the past and i didn't appreciate such and such, but this is the present and the future is ahead, now that is what i'm going to make damn good use of, and cherish every moment. I know its hard when there's scars in your past but by dwelling in the past too long, it can affect you living in the present. I try not to beat myself up about things i wish i'd done and things i wish i'd said because i know in my heart of hearts at the time i didn't have an impulse big enough to act upon, either that or the courage and nerve. I've learnt from that, and that's what matters to me now, so i see it all as a learning experience and feel stronger as a consequence.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.