Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just been having a discussion on msn with some guy I know in the US, about how hard it is for people to get a Green Card/Permanent residence visa to live there.
    He thinks it would be just as hard for him to leave the US and emigrate to the UK/other EU country as it would be for me to emigrate there. Is this true? I don't really know what the policies here are like, but I highly doubt it is. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The US don't want you unless you can help their economy out, the same applies to Australia and New Zealand, which I find quite fair, it rids their countries of the lazy immigrants who, for instance, come to the UK and live off benefits.

The funny thing is, as soon as someone speaks about immigration in this country, he/she is immediately branded a racist.

The line has to be drawn somewhere, the question 'Why are people forming asylum villages of their own in Calais(France) in order to come to the UK - why don't they live in France?' begs to be asked. It's simple, the French government quite simply don't want them and won't offer them these ludicrous benefits, which our incompetent government believes is a requirement on their part.

I have no problem with people migrating. Having 4 nationalities(albeit a European one) and having lived and travelled around Europe, where would the world be without migration? However, I've always and still aspire to do my best in whichever country I'm in, a lot of today's migrants don't share my view. Aslong as the migrants coming to the UK in their millions decide to become 'British', meaning that they adapt to our soceity and help our country in whatever way they can, then by all means open the gates, let them populate parts of Scotland and Wales which are completely empty and that would sort immigration out once and for all.

We also need to adopt a new immigration system, we're giving people visas, but completely 'forget' about them letting them live here as ghosts. This has to stop, there has to be a cap on how many people come into the country and once the limit has been reached, the door is closed, until people start leaving.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's true. Why do you 'highly doubt' that? :rolleyes: Did you imagine that just because you're allowed to live in the EU, everyone is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Yes, it's true. Why do you 'highly doubt' that? :rolleyes: Did you imagine that just because you're allowed to live in the EU, everyone is?
    No, not exactly. I just get the impression the UK is extremely easy to get into, because of the masses of immigrants coming all the time, whereas I know the US is very difficult to get into. They can't all be seeking asylum surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura182)
    No, not exactly. I just get the impression the UK is extremely easy to get into, because of the masses of immigrants coming all the time, whereas I know the US is very difficult to get into. They can't all be seeking asylum surely?
    You don't see the millions of people who would like to immigrate to the UK but don't meet the requirements for a visa. Any amount of immigrants would seem like 'masses' to you, when you don't see the other side.

Basically, the only ways to immigrate to the UK are:

-Marrying a British citizen
    -Being highly skilled (you have to have a Master's degree, as well as meet various other requirements of earnings and age)
    -Being sponsored by an employer who can't find anyone else who's an EU citizen who's qualified for the position
    -Being extremely rich and willing to invest a lot of money in UK businesses
    -Asylum

Does that sound extremely easy to you? :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.