Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me! I went to have the mirena coil fitted yesterday and they couldn't put it in because my cervix wouldn't open. I had to lie on the table for 30 mins before they gave up! I'm going back in two weeks but I'm not feeling confident at all. Having a speculum clamping me open wasn't the nicest experience in the world and I don't want to do it again!
    Has this happened to anyone else? They said it's quite common but I've looked on the internet and on the contraception threads but I can't find anyone else who had this problem!
    Is there anything I can do to make my cervix open? Lol this is so stupid! xx
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is one reason why it used to be suggested that only women who had given birth used the coil.

Did they suggest trying again while you have your period?

The other possibility is having something to relax your cervix, just as if you were having a 'd&c'.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly dont like coils. My mum said they are good, until they get taken out. Then they are really really painful .

Is that the best contraception for you?

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from headaches which they don't think were caused by the pill but they were reluctant to put me on anything but the coil.
    The coil just makes sense because it has few side effects and will help periods. So I do really want it! They tried to do it the first time whilst I was on my period so it should have worked but it didn't. They're doing it next time when I'm ovulating. I was as relaxed as I could have been in that situation so it shouldn't be because of nerves. I have no idea what to do!
    I was going to ask them to give me the implant if it doesn't work next time. Still a complete pain though!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.