Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay folks. I want to save some money for my Masters - I am aiming to pay 400 pounds a month on the room. Can anyone share experience, provide links, etc....? Where to look? Uni housing? B&B just for 9 weeks? Heeeeellllpppppp!!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Halls of residence for London universities, such as Imperial College, can be rented, and frequently are by banking interns.

ReputationRep:
    You could stay at friends houses/flats as they are likely to have a spare room whilst their housemates are out of London for summer. £400/month thats £92/week ... it will be hard to find accomodation so cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antzlck)
    You could stay at friends houses/flats as they are likely to have a spare room whilst their housemates are out of London for summer. £400/month thats £92/week ... it will be hard to find accomodation so cheap.
    Oh it will? Damn.... what would uni housing cost do you think? The few people i know in London do not have any spare rooms I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Well the majority of UCL accomodation is about £120-£150 a week for a single room (it's cheaper in Camden/in shared obviously), some of Imperial's reaches 180-200 I believe. Intercollegiate halls are rather expensive as well. So don't be too surprised if £400 doesn't cover you at all anywhere desirable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    Well the majority of UCL accomodation is about £120-£150 a week for a single room (it's cheaper in Camden/in shared obviously), some of Imperial's reaches 180-200 I believe. Intercollegiate halls are rather expensive as well. So don't be too surprised if £400 doesn't cover you at all anywhere desirable.
    What do you think will food, etc... cost? Put differently what percentage of my salary will i be able to save for school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    What do you think will food, etc... cost? Put differently what percentage of my salary will i be able to save for school?
    Gonna have to shop at Lidl!

Seriously, look at cheaper parts of London such as East London, very close to Canary Wharf and the city and quite cheap too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    5-6 quid a day for lunch (nobody makes their own sandwiches), and whatever you have for breakfast and dinner. You're probably looking at about 60 - 80 quid a week for food.

In 2008 for my summer internship I budgeted about 200 quid a week for food, travel and accommodation costs. I think at the end I had about £3500 saved from my internship, and I don't really feel like I had to scrimp on luxuries, though BarCap do pay interns well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Halls of residence for London universities, such as Imperial College, can be rented, and frequently are by banking interns.
    Good going mentioning the most expensive university halls in the UK..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    5-6 quid a day for lunch (nobody makes their own sandwiches), and whatever you have for breakfast and dinner. You're probably looking at about 60 - 80 quid a week for food.

In 2008 for my summer internship I budgeted about 200 quid a week for food, travel and accommodation costs. I think at the end I had about £3500 saved from my internship, and I don't really feel like I had to scrimp on luxuries, though BarCap do pay interns well.
    no room in the budget for tables or disgusting nights out at ken roof gardens and the like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onthecoast)
    Good going mentioning the most expensive university halls in the UK..
    Halls in London? They might suit the OP better than cheaper ones in Bristol, Birmingham or Durham. :rolleyes: I mentioned Imperial by name only as an example: I am sure the OP is capable of further research and would not be so foolish as to think they are the only ones available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)

Where did you spend the other £6500?

ReputationRep:
    You seem to have a false idea of what interns earn. The pay is truly excellent but not commonly anywhere near that high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You seem to have a false idea of what interns earn. The pay is truly excellent but not commonly anywhere near that high.
    its 900 a week i thought..

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about? I had £1500 relocation fee, then about £600 a week after tax.

Total received: £7500

Rent, Travel, Food: - £2000
    Saved: - £3500
    Other expenditure (essentially, none of your business): - £2000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by figo0906)
    Before tax...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input so far. I haven't seen the contract yet, but its ML so I assume pay is competitive at the 7000 range?

Also, how can tax bring it down from 900 to 600??? I thought the personal income tax allowance was ~ 6500 pounds in the UK? Do they state net on the contract?

I am looking at King's College Accommodation at Denmark Hill. Anyone got some input regarding the area? Is it safe for example? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    NIC. It's a swine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by figo0906)
    Very few will get £900 gross. £750 would be pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BetterThanHeaven)
    NIC. It's a swine.
    What does that mean? Could you elaborate?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.